Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,150

Re: Cowboys vs. Titans. 

Post#101 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 5, 2023 5:10 pm

linery88 wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:I totally understand what you’re saying but at this point I need to see it (in the playoffs) to believe it.

I think that is all Dallas fans including me. My expectations are 1 and done, but like I was saying my expectations for the season were to miss the playoffs completely.

I think that if we do lose in the first round, it will be easier to accept for me this time though, because I do believe that will signal the start of Sean Payton in Dallas. And I'll be happy with that.

What will be hard is if we make it to the NFC Championship game and lose to the 49ers, which would probably be enough for Jerry to keep MaCarthy around.

And I am asking myself what I would rather have and I'm not sure what holds more weight. Some playoff wins or Payton.

Like would you rather go to the Super Bowl and lose but keep McCarthy or lose in round 1 and get Payton? I think I'd take a SB loss. But I'm not sure about an NFC Championship loss, that is kind of 50/50.

Only way Payton ever comes here is if Jerry agrees to tone down his rhetoric,oh but wait...Jerry will never do that,feeling the way he has/does as the owner.If Payton could have all the control a good coach needs,we would be a much better team that way.
It would even have to made public,as to whether or not Jeery would agree to tone down certain things before the deal was even consumated.We can win with McCarthy if...

I think you underestimate the relationship Payton has with Jerry. Also there are very few coaches that Jerry would be willing to concede to but Payton is one of them. Also factor in that Payton’s family lives in the Dallas area.

With that said I don’t think Payton will end up in Dallas. Keep and eye on the Cardinals.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,150

Post#102 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 5, 2023 5:12 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Something I just stumbled upon that's somewhat mind blowing to me.

Mike McCarthy actually has better playoff success than Sean Payton.

Some say that is because of Aaron Rodgers. That is the knock on MM, that he only won 1 SB with Rodgers. Yet Payton only won 1 SB with Drew Brees and gets no flack. The big difference between the two is Payton is much better at managing the game, especially in late game situations.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#103 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Jan 5, 2023 5:45 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Something I just stumbled upon that's somewhat mind blowing to me.

Mike McCarthy actually has better playoff success than Sean Payton.

Some say that is because of Aaron Rodgers. That is the knock on MM, that he only won 1 SB with Rodgers. Yet Payton only won 1 SB with Drew Brees and gets no flack. The big difference between the two is Payton is much better at managing the game, especially in late game situations.

Yes, we can constantly see McCarthy making bad decisions, and you don't see that with Payton. At least not from what I remember.

It still just blows my mind that McCarthy actually has more playoff success than Payton. I guess it shouldn't, but it just doesn't seem right.

We probably shouldn't be THAT eager for Payton TBH

Time and time again we have seen previously successful coaches fail on new teams.

-Jimmy to the Dolphins
-Ditka to Saints
-Parcells to Dallas
-Gruden to Raiders
etc

That's because of the simple fact that it takes much more than just a coach to win in the NFL.

He's an upgrade from McCarthy but it's not like we are guaranteed a ring with the guy.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#104 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 5, 2023 6:49 pm

To be fair, it's only one win and one loss more for McCarthy than for Payton. Not an overwhelming statistic. Payton did have a bigger hill to climb than McCarthy. The Saints were the Saints...

Super
Rank Coach W L W/L% Champs * Bowls
15 Mike McCarthy 10 9 0.526 1 1
19 Sean Payton 9 8 0.529 1 1
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#105 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Jan 5, 2023 7:16 pm

Something else though to think about though. The Saints won that Super Bowl on a massive choke job by Peyton Manning throwing a pick-6 on the final drive to Tracy Porter.

I think Sean Payton is an amazing coach, I'd love him in Dallas, not trying to knock the guy, but this really is a game of inches and that Saints ring wasn't all Sean Payton.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#106 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 5, 2023 9:13 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Something else though to think about though. The Saints won that Super Bowl on a massive choke job by Peyton Manning throwing a pick-6 on the final drive to Tracy Porter.

I think Sean Payton is an amazing coach, I'd love him in Dallas, not trying to knock the guy, but this really is a game of inches and that Saints ring wasn't all Sean Payton.

And... they got to that Super Bowl courtesy of Brett Favre doing Brett Favre stuff while with the ViQueens too. That doesn't diminish Payton's success any more than Neil O'Donnell contribution to making Larry Brown a Super Bowl MVP in 1996 but I don't see any support being drummed up for Larry Brown going to Canton either.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#107 » by Micah Prescott » Thu Jan 5, 2023 9:39 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Something else though to think about though. The Saints won that Super Bowl on a massive choke job by Peyton Manning throwing a pick-6 on the final drive to Tracy Porter.

And... they got to that Super Bowl courtesy of Brett Favre doing Brett Favre stuff while with the ViQueens too. That doesn't diminish Payton's success any more than Neil O'Donnell contribution to making Larry Brown a Super Bowl MVP in 1996 but I don't see any support being drummed up for Larry Brown going to Canton either.

Yeah. I'm not trying to diminish Payton. I think very highly of him. My only point was that in the NFL you also have to have things go your way. And all the right things happened for Payton that year.

You only get one game to prove yourself in the NFL and not a 7-game series like the NBA or MLB which greatly helps in diminishing the "luck" factor.

Hopefully things go the right way for Dallas this post season, because we all know they'll need some fortunate occurrences.

Return to Dallas Cowboys