2022 Cowboy news and notes.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,189

Re: 2022 Cowboy news and notes. 

Post#121 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Nov 4, 2022 9:58 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I wish that Dallas had just held onto Amari one more year. I think trading him away was a big mistake. And that is probably on Jerry too.

I agree and disagree about Amari Cooper. I do wish they would have been able to get a better trade for him. But as far as him as a player we really haven’t missed him that much.

Amari Cooper is still the same player he was in Dallas. If you look at his numbers he still only produces at home. He still disappears on the road. Game 1 was was a total **** so it wouldn’t have mattered if he was still here or not. The other game we lost was a road game so he wouldn’t have helped there. I keep hearing in the media “I bet the Cowboys wish they still had him”, and “he’s balling out in Cleveland”, yea at home only.

Dallas was the #1 offense in the NFL last season and Amari was a huge part of that. I just do not think it was a good idea to break that up. Last season defense was the issue and offense was on fire, this season is the reverse of that.

And if you don't want Amari here why would you want Cooks?

Like I said *IF* all of our current WRs can stay healthy I'd be okay with it, I just think that we have a very injury prone group of WRs and I doubt they can go all year healthy.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#122 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 5, 2022 3:41 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I wish that Dallas had just held onto Amari one more year. I think trading him away was a big mistake. And that is probably on Jerry too.

I agree and disagree about Amari Cooper. I do wish they would have been able to get a better trade for him. But as far as him as a player we really haven’t missed him that much.

Amari Cooper is still the same player he was in Dallas. If you look at his numbers he still only produces at home. He still disappears on the road. Game 1 was was a total **** so it wouldn’t have mattered if he was still here or not. The other game we lost was a road game so he wouldn’t have helped there. I keep hearing in the media “I bet the Cowboys wish they still had him”, and “he’s balling out in Cleveland”, yea at home only.

Dallas was the #1 offense in the NFL last season and Amari was a huge part of that. I just do not think it was a good idea to break that up. Last season defense was the issue and offense was on fire, this season is the reverse of that.

And if you don't want Amari here why would you want Cooks?

Like I said *IF* all of our current WRs can stay healthy I'd be okay with it, I just think that we have a very injury prone group of WRs and I doubt they can go all year healthy.

Because Cooks produces on the road as much as he does at home. He doesn’t disappear on the road like Cooper does.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,358

Post#123 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Nov 5, 2022 8:52 pm

I don't miss Cooper. He wasn't a bust but he wasn't worth 19 million a year. Too many dropped passes and like Mr. B said, he doesn't show up every week. I thought we were going to keep Cedric Wilson whom I really liked.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#124 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 6, 2022 3:57 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I don't miss Cooper. He wasn't a bust but he wasn't worth 19 million a year. Too many dropped passes and like Mr. B said, he doesn't show up every week. I thought we were going to keep Cedric Wilson whom I really liked.

Cedrick Wilson definitely would have been worth keeping.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#125 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Nov 6, 2022 5:00 pm

I think overall Amari is a better WR than Cooks but they are both similar production wise over their careers. This year Amari is playing better than Cooks but I do see the drop off in away games. Both are playing with subpar QBs right now.

When you have a window of opportunity to do something meaningful I think it is okay to overpay and go all in. I understand why Jerry felt the need to trade Amari. They were not expecting Lamb to fall to them in that draft, and when you take a WR that high he needs to be your #1. So with Amari on the team you have two #1 WRs.

Ced Wilson should still be a Cowboy too.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#126 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Nov 6, 2022 6:22 pm

Cooper got WR1 money but was not a true #1 receiver. I always considered Cooper a very nice #2. I could always think of a dozen other receivers I thought were better or I'd rather have.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#127 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Nov 6, 2022 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Oh boy.

I'm okay with it though. Let's go for it.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#128 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 7, 2022 12:50 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh boy.

I'm okay with it though. Let's go for it.

I’m also ok with it as a rental for the remainder of the season. Even if all we get is the threat of having Odell on the outside I think he will help. Even though he’s coming off an ACL injury defenses still have to account for him.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#129 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 7, 2022 8:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=A-jOo3xIDI8-aNTxU8e8XA
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#130 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Nov 7, 2022 11:59 pm

I have been reading that Odell is looking for a long term contract. Which I doubt any team would be willing to do considering his age and injury. But I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas threw a 2 year deal at him, or maybe even 3.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#131 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 8, 2022 2:29 am

Micah Prescott wrote:I have been reading that Odell is looking for a long term contract. Which I doubt any team would be willing to do considering his age and injury. But I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas threw a 2 year deal at him, or maybe even 3.

With Stephen Jones now signing the checks I don’t see any way they sign him to a 3 year deal. I don’t really even see them giving him a 2 year deal. He just turned 30 and Stephen Jones has been pretty consistent in not signing anyone over 30 to a long term deal. This will also be the thing that leads him to sign with another team.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#132 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Nov 8, 2022 3:52 am

Yeah I don't think we'll be able to get him for just half a season. So probably need to at least be this season and next.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#133 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Nov 8, 2022 7:51 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about OBJ coming to Dallas. He comes with baggage.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#134 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 8, 2022 9:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=4umqsDFT6xxvZjHiuVK9xw
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#135 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Nov 8, 2022 10:26 pm

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#136 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 9, 2022 2:55 am

For what it’s worth, I’ll say it again, this signing will never happen. The reason is because Stephen will not want to pay him.

I heard an interesting reason today on Dallas radio as to why Stephen never signs free agents unless they’re bottom of the roster guys. Not sure if you guys know who Chris Arnold is. He’s been a local radio DJ in Dallas since the 80’s. He’s a sports guy and has been on every sports station Dallas has had since he’s been on the air. He’s also been a DJ on the local hip hop stations. He’s VERY tapped in to the local sports teams and all of the owners know him.

His theory is that Stephen did not inherit his fathers ability to negotiate. Jerry is a salesman and more importantly is a closer. Stephen doesn’t have those skills. He’s not a negotiator and he’s definitely not a closer. That’s why the Cowboys no longer sign guys like Von Miller or Bobby Wagner, and why they won’t sign Odell. Stephen Jones is also a penny pincher and would rather build/add through the draft than through free agency.

Sometimes that’s good however can you imagine having Von Miller on the opposite side (or next to) Micah Parsons?
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#137 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Nov 9, 2022 3:28 pm

Mr B wrote:For what it’s worth, I’ll say it again, this signing will never happen. The reason is because Stephen will not want to pay him.

I heard an interesting reason today on Dallas radio as to why Stephen never signs free agents unless they’re bottom of the roster guys. Not sure if you guys know who Chris Arnold is. He’s been a local radio DJ in Dallas since the 80’s. He’s a sports guy and has been on every sports station Dallas has had since he’s been on the air. He’s also been a DJ on the local hip hop stations. He’s VERY tapped in to the local sports teams and all of the owners know him.

His theory is that Stephen did not inherit his fathers ability to negotiate. Jerry is a salesman and more importantly is a closer. Stephen doesn’t have those skills. He’s not a negotiator and he’s definitely not a closer. That’s why the Cowboys no longer sign guys like Von Miller or Bobby Wagner, and why they won’t sign Odell. Stephen Jones is also a penny pincher and would rather build/add through the draft than through free agency.

Sometimes that’s good however can you imagine having Von Miller on the opposite side (or next to) Micah Parsons?

I hope this isn't true, FA signings can work out bad and good. Green Bay is notorious for never signing FAs and it is pretty evident it has caused that franchise harm. The one big FA they did sign (Charles Woodson) worked out amazing for them so I don't know why they abandoned it.

It can be argued that Dallas owes a Super Bowl ring to a FA signing (Deion). It should always be an option. That is how this system works.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#138 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Nov 9, 2022 8:20 pm

I remember the last 2 times we went after a WR. Remember Roy Williams and Terrell Owens? Both of those moves cost us so much. After thinking about it for 2 days, I am reporting to you all that I would not sign OBJ to a long term contract. Maybe a one year rental at best for this year only. health is an issue for me especially with OBJ coming off 2 knee surgery's. Gallop is coming off a knee injury, we don't need two. Plus I think Gallop will get stronger and better as the season goes on. Be patient Micah. After we cut ties with Elliott at the end of the year we will have a lot more cap relief and we can always move up in the draft next spring and get another WR at a cheaper price.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#139 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:55 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Based on the last 3 weeks, he hasn't been any help. :curse:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#140 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:02 pm

Starting to appear to me the Cowboys knew they would be having future issues vs. the run game. And this was their answer or temporary band aid.

Return to Dallas Cowboys