2023 Free Agency.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,189

Re: 2023 Free Agency. 

Post#41 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:09 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I kind of hope we didn't clear all that space for a 32 year old Wagner. I mean he'd add depth and stability to LB and I do think he makes the defense better. I just would rather have someone in the middle of their prime whoever that may be.

Bobby Wagner was rated as the best run defending LB in the NFL last year. Having him along with LVE in the middle would greatly help solve the weakest part of the defense.

Did not realize that...wow.

Yeah I think I'm starting to come around on aquiring him. Maybe he is the missing piece.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#42 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:58 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I kind of hope we didn't clear all that space for a 32 year old Wagner. I mean he'd add depth and stability to LB and I do think he makes the defense better. I just would rather have someone in the middle of their prime whoever that may be.

Bobby Wagner was rated as the best run defending LB in the NFL last year. Having him along with LVE in the middle would greatly help solve the weakest part of the defense.

Yeah I think I'm starting to come around on aquiring him. Maybe he is the missing piece.

His age might actually be a reason to sign him to a good deal too. I don’t know if they will actually make him an offer but just the thought of having him and LVE patrolling the middle of the defense puts a smile on my face.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,358

Post#43 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:14 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote: Bobby Wagner was rated as the best run defending LB in the NFL last year. Having him along with LVE in the middle would greatly help solve the weakest part of the defense.

His age might actually be a reason to sign him to a good deal too. I don’t know if they will actually make him an offer but just the thought of having him and LVE patrolling the middle of the defense puts a smile on my face.

You can never have enough LB's. My other gripe besides always bitching about getting a nasty, top notch, running stuffing DT.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#44 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:25 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Did not realize that...wow.

You can never have enough LB's. My other gripe besides always bitching about getting a nasty, top notch, running stuffing DT.

Apparently the Cowboys have had an offer in the table for Hankins but he doesn’t want to sign with a team yet. I think he doesn’t want to go through a full training camp.

I still want them to sign Wagner but it might also make sense to just hold on to the $16M in cap space until teams make their cuts in training camp. Someone is going to get cut that could help this team.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#45 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:His age might actually be a reason to sign him to a good deal too. I don’t know if they will actually make him an offer but just the thought of having him and LVE patrolling the middle of the defense puts a smile on my face.

Apparently the Cowboys have had an offer in the table for Hankins but he doesn’t want to sign with a team yet. I think he doesn’t want to go through a full training camp.

I still want them to sign Wagner but it might also make sense to just hold on to the $16M in cap space until teams make their cuts in training camp. Someone is going to get cut that could help this team.

Who is this Hankins guy you keep harping on? Refresh my memory.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#46 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:03 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Who is this Hankins guy you keep harping on? Refresh my memory.

Played for the Cowboys last season after being picked up in a trade with the Raiders.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#47 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:25 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Who is this Hankins guy you keep harping on? Refresh my memory.

Played for the Cowboys last season after being picked up in a trade with the Raiders.

O.K. thank you. I remembered a player on the Raiders having that name but I forgot he was on our team. I still vaguely remember him even after thinking about it more when he played for us. I guess he didn't stick out for me. With the latest moves and trades we've made lately, it just seems and feels like a great time to get a excellent DT with our first pick. But there is also a part of me waiting for the other shoe to drop when Jerry gets more involved. Not that I'm complaining, but its getting creepy that Jerry has been so quiet this past month. Not like him.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#48 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:07 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:You can never have enough LB's. My other gripe besides always bitching about getting a nasty, top notch, running stuffing DT.

Who is this Hankins guy you keep harping on? Refresh my memory.

Jonathan Hankins. He’s a big fat run stuffing DT that they traded for last year. He immediately helped the run defense when he was acquired. Ideally he would be the backup run stuffing DT.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#49 » by Mr B » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:09 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

O.K. thank you. I remembered a player on the Raiders having that name but I forgot he was on our team. I still vaguely remember him even after thinking about it more when he played for us. I guess he didn't stick out for me. With the latest moves and trades we've made lately, it just seems and feels like a great time to get a excellent DT with our first pick. But there is also a part of me waiting for the other shoe to drop when Jerry gets more involved. Not that I'm complaining, but its getting creepy that Jerry has been so quiet this past month. Not like him.

Hankins doesn’t get sacks so you won’t notice him for any splash plays. He’s strictly a run stuffer.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#50 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:25 pm

Mr B wrote:Hankins doesn’t get sacks so you won’t notice him for any splash plays. He’s strictly a run stuffer.

And until he got hurt he seemed to be a fairly solid pickup for that reason.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#51 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:55 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Hankins doesn’t get sacks so you won’t notice him for any splash plays. He’s strictly a run stuffer.

I still want to draft Mazi Smith. When you see the tape on Mazi Smith you will see what I mean. Kid is big and strong, tons of talent, he is relentless, you will love his motor, its non stop. Has a mean streak that reminds me of Leon Lett.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:34 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:O.K. thank you. I remembered a player on the Raiders having that name but I forgot he was on our team. I still vaguely remember him even after thinking about it more when he played for us. I guess he didn't stick out for me. With the latest moves and trades we've made lately, it just seems and feels like a great time to get a excellent DT with our first pick. But there is also a part of me waiting for the other shoe to drop when Jerry gets more involved. Not that I'm complaining, but its getting creepy that Jerry has been so quiet this past month. Not like him.

I still want to draft Mazi Smith. When you see the tape on Mazi Smith you will see what I mean. Kid is big and strong, tons of talent, he is relentless, you will love his motor, its non stop. Has a mean streak that reminds me of Leon Lett.

Yea I’ve watched his highlight videos and I agree he’s be a perfect fit. Personally I’d love to have him and Hankins. Hankins is 31 and would be better suited as a cheap backup. Having him backup Mazi Smith would be ideal.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,505

Post#53 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:16 am

Mr B wrote:

Sorry, Bobby's coming home. :wink: 8-)
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#54 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:12 pm

No need to say your sorry to me. I wasn't on board with Wagner anyways. I want our defense to stay young.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#55 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:47 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:No need to say your sorry to me. I wasn't on board with Wagner anyways. I want our defense to stay young.

Bobby graded out as the #1 LB last year. Best against the run. He's a rock. You would turn that down?

Fwiw Seattle is his home. Plus he wanted to stay on the West coast.

The only reason the team let him go last year was because of cap purposes. Which was a mistake. Our LB's last season we're atrocious. It's why we couldn't stop a nose bleed. Not having Bobby was a huge reason for that. He's irreplaceable.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#56 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:52 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:No need to say your sorry to me. I wasn't on board with Wagner anyways. I want our defense to stay young.

Bobby graded out as the #1 LB last year. Best against the run. He's a rock. You would turn that down?

My crystal ball looks different than yours. :eyebrows:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#57 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:22 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Sorry, Bobby's coming home. :wink: 8-)

Yea I wished the Cowboys had signed him. Oh well. I can understand the desire to still have cap room when cuts are made during camp. Someone else will become available that can help this team.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#58 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:25 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

The only reason the team let him go last year was because of cap purposes. Which was a mistake. Our LB's last season we're atrocious. It's why we couldn't stop a nose bleed. Not having Bobby was a huge reason for that. He's irreplaceable.

It’s a great signing for the Seahawks. He’s still extremely productive and they signed him to a really cheap team friendly deal. For Cowboys fans to put this in perspective this would be like if Darren Woodson was cut because cap reasons and then brought back to finish his career in Dallas. Can’t hate Bobby Wagner or the Seahawks for that.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#59 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:42 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

It’s a great signing for the Seahawks. He’s still extremely productive and they signed him to a really cheap team friendly deal. For Cowboys fans to put this in perspective this would be like if Darren Woodson was cut because cap reasons and then brought back to finish his career in Dallas. Can’t hate Bobby Wagner or the Seahawks for that.

Fans are happy to have him back because he's a legend. But also because they haven't found his replacement yet.

Jordyn Brooks played next to Bobby. But he's coming off an acl tear. They were so thin at the position that it really was a tough watch without him.

The Linebacker play was downright laughable at times.

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#60 » by Mr B » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:33 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Bobby graded out as the #1 LB last year. Best against the run. He's a rock. You would turn that down?

Fans are happy to have him back because he's a legend. But also because they haven't found his replacement yet.

Jordyn Brooks played next to Bobby. But he's coming off an acl tear. They were so thin at the position that it really was a tough watch without him.

The Linebacker play was downright laughable at times.

Read on Twitter

From from I’m seeing the deal he signed in Seattle is not what he was asking from Dallas. He gave the Seahawks a discount. He wouldn’t have signed for that same deal with the Cowboys.

Return to Dallas Cowboys