Moderator: Texas Chuck

Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,191

Re: 2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#61 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I think you can get upset about Dak if we give him a huge contract, which may very well happen.

Right now though under his current contract I do not see how they could get out of starting him next season.

To me it is ideal to let his replacement sit a year and watch anyway, I feel like that has generally shown to have good results (see Rodgers and Love) So if we draft a QB and also have Lance sit while Dak finishes out his current contract that works for me.

Precisely where I fall at this point. If they believe Lance is a viable alternative going forward, then let Dak finish out his deal with Lance getting ready for ’25… and draft his backup. If not - draft a QB a little higher up in the process and let Dak finish out his deal.

I know that’s not what they will do but they’ve done plenty of things in the last 20+ years we’ve not agreed with. It is what it is.

I will honestly be floored if they don’t give him an extension. I would be ecstatic if they let him play out his deal but we all know they won’t. He plays great during the regular season which puts buts in seats. He’s going to get his $60M/per season and we will watch him play out his career just like we did with Romo.

The only way I see that they would be willing to move up on from Dak is if they already had someone that showed he can play. Basically the same situation they were in with Dak and Romo. Trey Lance will have to ball out every chance he gets. Same goes for anyone they draft too. Dak is too good during the regular season to just let walk. Unfortunately for us he hasn’t shown he can handle big games and big moments well.

I agree that they will likely give Dak a contract, but I do think the simple fact that they were willing to grab Trey Lance for a 4th at least shows they are thinking of moving in from Dak and have talked about it.

If they never had any consideration of that, they wouldn't have given up a 4th rounder for Lance. A 4th round pick is somewhat significant, that is where a lot of teams find a runningback, or CB depth.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,153

Post#62 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:34 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Precisely where I fall at this point. If they believe Lance is a viable alternative going forward, then let Dak finish out his deal with Lance getting ready for ’25… and draft his backup. If not - draft a QB a little higher up in the process and let Dak finish out his deal.

I know that’s not what they will do but they’ve done plenty of things in the last 20+ years we’ve not agreed with. It is what it is.

I will honestly be floored if they don’t give him an extension. I would be ecstatic if they let him play out his deal but we all know they won’t. He plays great during the regular season which puts buts in seats. He’s going to get his $60M/per season and we will watch him play out his career just like we did with Romo.

The only way I see that they would be willing to move up on from Dak is if they already had someone that showed he can play. Basically the same situation they were in with Dak and Romo. Trey Lance will have to ball out every chance he gets. Same goes for anyone they draft too. Dak is too good during the regular season to just let walk. Unfortunately for us he hasn’t shown he can handle big games and big moments well.

I agree that they will likely give Dak a contract, but I do think the simple fact that they were willing to grab Trey Lance for a 4th at least shows they are thinking of moving in from Dak and have talked about it.

If they never had any consideration of that, they wouldn't have given up a 4th rounder for Lance. A 4th round pick is somewhat significant, that is where a lot of teams find a runningback, or CB depth.

I agree with that but Lance will have to show something before they would move on from Dak. They’re not going to chance going back to the Chutch, or Drew Henson days. Not while they already have a component QB.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#63 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:14 pm

I do wish we had some kind of update on Lance.

It's probably safe to assume he doesn't look amazing in a practice atmosphere which is why SF moved on.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#64 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:17 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:If they never had any consideration of that, they wouldn't have given up a 4th rounder for Lance. A 4th round pick is somewhat significant, that is where a lot of teams find a runningback, or CB depth.

I agree with that but Lance will have to show something before they would move on from Dak. They’re not going to chance going back to the Chutch, or Drew Henson days. Not while they already have a component QB.

Lance spent the entire season here and under the watch of the current staff. My hope would be at this point that they have already seen enough of him to make a decision on how to move forward.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:34 pm

It’s official…

No rebuild this year. Jerry is all in.

So there.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:01 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:It’s official…

So there.

Yea I heard that interview. We all know it’s crap. They will prove it though when they refuse to spend any real money in free agency.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#67 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:52 am

Mr B wrote:

So there.

Yea I heard that interview. We all know it’s crap. They will prove it though when they refuse to spend any real money in free agency.

I believe Jerry with this. I think he's done after next season. Stephen will take over.

He is old, much too old to watch Dallas rebuild.

Next season is it for him. This is different than previous years.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#68 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:55 am

That might mean Dak gets a contract though. It's the only way to move cap space around to sign big name FAs.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#69 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:40 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

So there.

I believe Jerry with this. I think he's done after next season. Stephen will take over.

If they are really going all in then they will sign (or at least attempt to sign) LB Patrick Queen, and RB Josh Jacobs. Both of those guys would fill huge needs on this team. I doubt that happens though. I’ll believe it when I see it.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#70 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:21 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:Yea I heard that interview. We all know it’s crap. They will prove it though when they refuse to spend any real money in free agency.

If they are really going all in then they will sign (or at least attempt to sign) LB Patrick Queen, and RB Josh Jacobs. Both of those guys would fill huge needs on this team. I doubt that happens though. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Queen would be a massive signing, didn't know he was a FA. Would the Ravens not franchise tag him?

And yeah, that's what we need to see.

BTW, I didn't mean to say that 2024 will be different for us fans, we probably have the same outcome. Great regular season followed by poor playoff showing.

I'm saying I think 2024 is different FOR JERRY. I think he wanted 2023 to be the year he walks away, but now I think he has absolutely pin pointed his retirement after the 2024 season. Do or die. I believe he will try to go all in, I can not recall him ever saying he would.

The only thing I could see getting in his way is Stephen. Who has to inherit the team and all of it's cap woes.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:24 pm

Mr B wrote:If they are really going all in then they will sign (or at least attempt to sign) LB Patrick Queen, and RB Josh Jacobs. Both of those guys would fill huge needs on this team. I doubt that happens though. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I think there’s still tread on Derrick Henry’s tires as well. Wouldn’t mind taking a flyer there.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#72 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:32 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I believe Jerry with this. I think he's done after next season. Stephen will take over.

Queen would be a massive signing, didn't know he was a FA. Would the Ravens not franchise tag him?

And yeah, that's what we need to see.

BTW, I didn't mean to say that 2024 will be different for us fans, we probably have the same outcome. Great regular season followed by poor playoff showing.

I'm saying I think 2024 is different FOR JERRY. I think he wanted 2023 to be the year he walks away, but now I think he has absolutely pin pointed his retirement after the 2024 season. Do or die. I believe he will try to go all in, I can not recall him ever saying he would.

The only thing I could see getting in his way is Stephen. Who has to inherit the team and all of it's cap woes.

I don’t think Baltimore tags Patrick Queen. They have several free agents on the defensive side. If they tag anyone it will likely be DT Justin Madubuike. Queen is young (24 yrs old) and fits exactly what the Cowboys are looking for at MLB. In a perfect world they would sign Queen and still draft a LB in the middle rounds.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#73 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:39 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:If they are really going all in then they will sign (or at least attempt to sign) LB Patrick Queen, and RB Josh Jacobs. Both of those guys would fill huge needs on this team. I doubt that happens though. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I think there’s still tread on Derrick Henry’s tires as well. Wouldn’t mind taking a flyer there.

I didn’t watch a lot of Titans football this season so I can’t say where Henry is physically. I’ve heard conflicting things though. Some say he’s washed and some have said he still has a year or two left as a good productive RB. I know he’s 30 years old and Stephen does not usually sign guys on the wrong side of 30. That’s why I mentioned Jacobs. He’s 1 year removed from winning the rushing title and is still only 25 yrs old. He did have a down year which I attribute to the contract issues he was having with the Raiders. If he’s fairly cheap that’s who I would look to sign. I’m also intrigued by Saquon by Barkley. He’s not the big back or bruiser the Cowboys need but he’s also still fairly young (26 yrs old) and could be a home run hitter at the RB position. Like Jacob’s though he would have to sign for fairly cheap.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,506

Post#74 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:55 pm

Guys, Queen is following his DC to the PNW. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Mr B
RealGM

Post#75 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:59 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Guys, Queen is following his DC to the PNW. :wink:

Maybe, money talks though and he would have a guaranteed starting position in Dallas. Not sure that he would have that in Seattle with Bobby Wagner still on the team.
Mr B
RealGM

2024 Cowboys Off Season 

Post#76 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:04 pm

Here is another option I wouldn’t mind seeing. Buffalo is likely going to cut Stephon Diggs when he refuses to take a pay cut. He clearly doesn’t want to be there anyways. If/when the Cowboys cut Gallup I wouldn’t mind them bringing in Diggs to be the #2 or #3 WR. Lamb/Diggs/Cooks/Tolbert is a pretty solid WR group.

So, so far my off season wish list is:

Patrick Queen
Josh Jacobs
Stephon Diggs

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#77 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:17 pm

Mr B wrote:Patrick Queen
Josh Jacobs
Stephon Diggs

I really hope Jerry keeps his word here. Because this is what you have to do to win a ring.

It's what teams that don't have Patrick Mahomes have to do anyway....but hell even Mahomes has a top-5 defense
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#78 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:25 pm

Mr B wrote:

Maybe, money talks though and he would have a guaranteed starting position in Dallas. Not sure that he would have that in Seattle with Bobby Wagner still on the team.

Bobby is a free agent. I expect them to prioritize that position this offseason. They need it.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#79 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:29 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Bobby is a free agent. I expect them to prioritize that position this offseason. They need it.

You don’t think they bring back Wagner to finish his career in Seattle? He’ll be a lot cheaper than Queen that’s for sure. Even if Queen does go to Seattle if I’m the Cowboys I would go after Wagner. Queen is younger with more upside however he’s not the leader that Wagner is. As a Cowboys fan I would prefer Queen but would settle for Wagner.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#80 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:40 pm

Mr B wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:Maybe, money talks though and he would have a guaranteed starting position in Dallas. Not sure that he would have that in Seattle with Bobby Wagner still on the team.

You don’t think they bring back Wagner to finish his career in Seattle? He’ll be a lot cheaper than Queen that’s for sure. Even if Queen does go to Seattle if I’m the Cowboys I would go after Wagner. Queen is younger with more upside however he’s not the leader that Wagner is. As a Cowboys fan I would prefer Queen but would settle for Wagner.

Wagner will turn 34 later this year. He's a step slower. He's become a liability in coverage. They need to get faster LB's. Speed. Especially with the new Defense that they'll be using. I would be very surprised if they brought Bobby back.

Return to Dallas Cowboys