ImageImageImageImage

Are The Cowboy's Doomed This Season?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,726

Re: Are The Cowboy's Doomed This Season? 

Post#81 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I don't think Romo is a Hall of Famer but I do think he is underrated. A lot of people like to point to him as the scapegoat for lost games, but in many games, they would have never been in it if not for him.

I remember a few years ago when Manning was just lighting the league on fire in Denver and they were crushing everyone...Romo kept pace with them the whole game and I was super impressed. I think near the end he threw an int or something, but without him, they are never in a position to even have a chance to win at all.

It's too bad he's injured though.

He's no Danny White... who is still massively underrated. And it's a damn shame Tony can't stay healthy. This particular team might be best suited to him right now with the running game we have the ability to offer.

I know Danny White well. Heard a lot about him since I grew up in Phx and he went to Arizona St (though before I was able to watch football) but I think part of the reason he is underrated is because he followed Staubach who is pretty much a legend among Cowboys fans.

Now since I live in Austin I get all the Cowboys and Texans games I see quite a bit of them. I'll be interested to see how Elliott does. Dak Prescott was impressive too so they will probably be ok in that division.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#82 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:45 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I don't think Romo is a Hall of Famer but I do think he is underrated. A lot of people like to point to him as the scapegoat for lost games, but in many games, they would have never been in it if not for him.

I remember a few years ago when Manning was just lighting the league on fire in Denver and they were crushing everyone...Romo kept pace with them the whole game and I was super impressed. I think near the end he threw an int or something, but without him, they are never in a position to even have a chance to win at all.

It's too bad he's injured though.

He's no Danny White... who is still massively underrated. And it's a damn shame Tony can't stay healthy. This particular team might be best suited to him right now with the running game we have the ability to offer.

I know Danny White well. Heard a lot about him since I grew up in Phx and he went to Arizona St (though before I was able to watch football) but I think part of the reason he is underrated is because he followed Staubach who is pretty much a legend among Cowboys fans.

Now since I live in Austin I get all the Cowboys and Texans games I see quite a bit of them. I'll be interested to see how Elliott does. Dak Prescott was impressive too so they will probably be ok in that division.

The damn shame is too many people remember "No Danny No" and forget that by the middle of 1986 (when he broke his wrist and was never the same) he held every passing title in the Cowboys record books, had led them to those three consecutive NFC championship games and was one of the top QB's in the game. Way too many fans down here were trying to replace him (Hogeboom) just because he wasn't Roger. And - he was one of the best punters in the league at the time. What happened with him is what happened with the Cowboys under Landry at the end. Doug Donely was no Drew Pearson. Eric Bjornsen was no Billy Joe Dupree. Rod Hill was no NFL football player. And when your roster gets old and you have no one to replace them, you end up with the late 80's Cowboys.

D. White will always be of my favorites though.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,726

Post#83 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:50 am

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:

The damn shame is too many people remember "No Danny No" and forget that by the middle of 1986 (when he broke his wrist and was never the same) he held every passing title in the Cowboys record books, had led them to those three consecutive NFC championship games and was one of the top QB's in the game. Way too many fans down here were trying to replace him (Hogeboom) just because he wasn't Roger. And - he was one of the best punters in the league at the time. What happened with him is what happened with the Cowboys under Landry at the end. Doug Donely was no Drew Pearson. Eric Bjornsen was no Billy Joe Dupree. Rod Hill was no NFL football player. And when your roster gets old and you have no one to replace them, you end up with the late 80's Cowboys.

Reminds me of a Suns player people underrate likely due to injuries having hampered him early in his career. This player was a better PG than Nash at his peak, though he never won MVP or came close, but playing in an era with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Robinson, etc will do that. Check out years 88-89-91-92. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnske02.html
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#84 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Reminds me of a Suns player people underrate likely due to injuries having hampered him early in his career. This player was a better PG than Nash at his peak, though he never won MVP or came close, but playing in an era with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Robinson, etc will do that. Check out years 88-89-91-92. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnske02.html

Ahhhh... the 90's. Or as we Mavs fans refer to them - the dark era of the Roy Tarpley curse... and the Perot ownership dynasty.

And yes - KJ was that damned good. Used to think how much he would help the Mavs by just being a rudder on a ship that was so far adrift. The West was every bit the juggernaut then as now. Lakers... Spurs... Rockets... you guys... the Jazz... some wonderful basketball in the West.

Meanwhile, my Mavs sucked. Historically sucked.

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,358

Post#85 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Sep 1, 2016 12:32 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Cowboys don't lose those 3 NFC Championship games if Stabach and Harris didn't retire and Hollywood Henderson didn't ruin his career and got in to drugs.
1983 strike changed things forever with free agency. Landry was adjusting but got the boot when slime ball Jerry bought the team. Landry did set up Jimmy with a few nice pick he got from Landry sending Dorsett to Denver after getting Walker the year before. Anyways Landry should get credit for Michael Irvin and Troy Aikman.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Sep 4, 2016 5:40 pm

God forbid we get into trouble for talking basketball on a Cowboys thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#87 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 4, 2016 6:25 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:

Ahhhh... the 90's. Or as we Mavs fans refer to them - the dark era of the Roy Tarpley curse... and the Perot ownership dynasty.

And yes - KJ was that damned good. Used to think how much he would help the Mavs by just being a rudder on a ship that was so far adrift. The West was every bit the juggernaut then as now. Lakers... Spurs... Rockets... you guys... the Jazz... some wonderful basketball in the West.

I remember ESPN doing a poll in the mid-90's and the Mavericks were named the worst sports franchise in the world. Not worst team in the NBA, but worst franchise in the world. Oddly enough that's when I started watching them (in 1993).
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Sep 4, 2016 6:45 pm

Mr B wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I remember ESPN doing a poll in the mid-90's and the Mavericks were named the worst sports franchise in the world. Not worst team in the NBA, but worst franchise in the world. Oddly enough that's when I started watching them (in 1993).

The 89-91 timeframe was a tough time for this local Dallas fan. Not only were the Cowboys recovering from those miserable drafts of the 80's that essentially cost Landry his job, the Mavs went from a championship contender to an absolute toilet... and the Rangers were still the Rangers although they had signed Ryan and actually had some moments. It took Jimmy and Jerry and that Walker trade to wake up the echoes of past glory... and that day January 17, 1993 that kickstarted everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#89 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 6, 2016 2:47 pm

That's why I'm looking for a new forum to post in. If I knew we would be talking baseball or basketball in a football forum I never would have come here in the first place. A Dallas Cowboy thread in a football forum, and we are talking about the Mavericks and Suns. Its not for me and why I want to be here.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Sep 6, 2016 5:47 pm

Seriously dude... quit your whining. Do you not understand "context"?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#91 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Sep 9, 2016 9:34 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:

The NFL strike in 1983 didn't help matters either. Free agency ruined the advantage we had over most teams back then.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#92 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:33 pm

All hell breaks loose in Big - D after the Cowboys start 0 - 2.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#93 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:09 am

As long as Dak plays well again I'd actually be ok with another bad season. They will have the future QB and have a high draft pick to help rebuild that defense.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Mr B wrote:As long as Dak plays well again I'd actually be ok with another bad season. They will have the future QB and have a high draft pick to help rebuild that defense.

Indeed. In the end - the future should be where we are looking. And as long as Dak isn't overwhelmed by the game (all signs indicate that isn't and won't be the case) then I'm comfortable with whatever the season brings. Having a low bar of expectations doesn't hurt in this case.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#95 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
Mr B wrote:As long as Dak plays well again I'd actually be ok with another bad season. They will have the future QB and have a high draft pick to help rebuild that defense.

Indeed. In the end - the future should be where we are looking. And as long as Dak isn't overwhelmed by the game (all signs indicate that isn't and won't be the case) then I'm comfortable with whatever the season brings. Having a low bar of expectations doesn't hurt in this case.

Exactly. Another bright side is that there is no way Jerry is still in charge throughout the length of Dak's career. So hopefully his career won't be waisted like Romo's was.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#96 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:54 pm

What makes you think they will address the defense next year? Its been needed for years now and when you don't address it at all, especially after last season, I have to wonder where the priorities lie.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:52 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

What makes you think they will address the defense next year? Its been needed for years now and when you don't address it at all, especially after last season, I have to wonder where the priorities lie.

Keep hope alive... no matter what!

<repeats... rinses... repeats... rinses...>
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:55 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

The NFL strike in 1983 didn't help matters either. Free agency ruined the advantage we had over most teams back then.

I'm going to post a thread this weekend... titled "What happened to the Cowboys in the 80's".

It wasn't the '82 strike that started our demise. Happened a couple of years earlier. I shall detail.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#99 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:02 pm

Roadhog Moran wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Roadhog Moran wrote:

I'm going to post a thread this weekend... titled "What happened to the Cowboys in the 80's".

It wasn't the '82 strike that started our demise. Happened a couple of years earlier. I shall detail.

You mean Roger Staubach retiring way too early. Cliff Harris doing the same as Roger and retiring as well. Ed Jones taking the year off to box as Charlie Waters blew out his knee earlier in preseason, and then loosing our super Star LB to drugs. As father time started to catch up with the likes of Randy White, etc., Looking forward to it, can't wait for your post.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#100 » by Mr B » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:23 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Well the offense really is set, especially if Dak continues at his current pace. I'm expecting them to be picking somewhere in the middle of the 1st round. The best value will likely be at LB or DL. The second round there is no telling what they will do. I would expect them the draft a "project" player that slid out of the 1st round for some reason.

Return to Dallas Cowboys