Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Re: State of Cowboys Union? 

Post#1262 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:40 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=Kt-UJ88eAEzszG7b3_jkKQ&s=19

Zeke now counts a minimum of $8M against this year’s cap. That includes $6M in dead money from his last deal.

We are now officially in the early stages of a rebuild. That will accelerate come next March 25 when Dak’s deal ends. Might as well wrap our heads around that one - regardless what the old man and his spawn try to tell fans.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,168

Post#1263 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:57 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

Zeke now counts a minimum of $8M against this year’s cap. That includes $6M in dead money from his last deal.

We are now officially in the early stages of a rebuild. That will accelerate come next March 25 when Dak’s deal ends. Might as well wrap our heads around that one - regardless what the old man and his spawn try to tell fans.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking since the end of free agency. I think I'm okay with it. I like Dak, I don't think he is the problem, in fact I'm scared to see this team without him. But at the same time, he's had his shots, it's been a long time, the relationship has run it's course. I'm okay moving onto something new.

McCarthy on the other hand, I feel is most at fault if I was forced to point at one thing. I'll be happy to move on from him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496

Post#1264 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:03 pm

Bjj is not going to be happy about this one!
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1265 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:13 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah that's what I've been thinking since the end of free agency. I think I'm okay with it. I like Dak, I don't think he is the problem, in fact I'm scared to see this team without him. But at the same time, he's had his shots, it's been a long time, the relationship has run it's course. I'm okay moving onto something new.

McCarthy on the other hand, I feel is most at fault if I was forced to point at one thing. I'll be happy to move on from him.

Piss Poor Management… and it starts at the next pay level above McCarthy no differently than it did when Red Ball was running things. Not saying McCarthy isn’t a big part of the issue but let's not kid ourselves. He’s not the one who created this dead money hole we’ve been accruing for years nor the one we're about to absorb come next March.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1266 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:17 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Bjj is not going to be happy about this one!

And I’m sure it’ll all be Dak’s fault.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1267 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:20 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't draft a RB. They must not have loved this class.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1268 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:20 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Piss Poor Management… and it starts at the next pay level above McCarthy no differently than it did when Red Ball was running things. Not saying McCarthy isn’t a big part of the issue but let's not kid ourselves. He’s not the one who created this dead money hole we’ve been accruing for years nor the one we're about to absorb come next March.

Well, I think another part of the "rebuild", if I had to guess, is that this will be Jerry's last year as GM. One last season with the current "build". Dak, McCarthy, and now Zeke. And then he rides off into retirement and Stephen takes over.

Jerry is really old now.

I don't hate Jerry at all like I would say ~90% of Cowboy fans do. All things considered he's been a much better owner than most, if not all owners in the NFL. And he is the main reason we got to enjoy a dynasty in the 90s. He hasn't been without flaws obviously, but I'm grateful he bought the team.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#1269 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:27 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Yeah that's what I've been thinking since the end of free agency. I think I'm okay with it. I like Dak, I don't think he is the problem, in fact I'm scared to see this team without him. But at the same time, he's had his shots, it's been a long time, the relationship has run it's course. I'm okay moving onto something new.

Well, I think another part of the "rebuild", if I had to guess, is that this will be Jerry's last year as GM. One last season with the current "build". Dak, McCarthy, and now Zeke. And then he rides off into retirement and Stephen takes over.

Jerry is really old now.

I don't hate Jerry at all like I would say ~90% of Cowboy fans do. All things considered he's been a much better owner than most, if not all owners in the NFL. And he is the main reason we got to enjoy a dynasty in the 90s. He hasn't been without flaws obviously, but I'm grateful he bought the team.

You really think Jerry would do that? He doesn't seem like the type. Unless his health is failing.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1270 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Jerry is really old now.

You really think Jerry would do that? He doesn't seem like the type. Unless his health is failing.

I think he's been mentoring Stephen for a long time now for it.

His son being at the helm will give him the ego boost he requires.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1271 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:37 pm

Even Stephen is 61 which is just 4 years away from normal retirement age.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1272 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:22 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Well, I think another part of the "rebuild", if I had to guess, is that this will be Jerry's last year as GM. One last season with the current "build". Dak, McCarthy, and now Zeke. And then he rides off into retirement and Stephen takes over.

Jerry is really old now.

I don’t think there’s a chance in hell that happens. Jerry may fade off the radar in terms of being “out there” as the face of the team but as long as he can breathe and remains lucid, he’s have the final say in any & all matters Cowboys. That’s a given.

Micah Prescott wrote:I don't hate Jerry at all like I would say ~90% of Cowboy fans do. All things considered he's been a much better owner than most, if not all owners in the NFL. And he is the main reason we got to enjoy a dynasty in the 90s. He hasn't been without flaws obviously, but I'm grateful he bought the team.

No doubt - anyone who survived the Bum Bright era understands that Jerry saved this franchise with his purchase and bringing Jimmy on board. It isn’t a question of hating Jerry or Stephen or Charlotte… but it is more than fair to question them for the mess they have in their laps with the cap - especially next year with over $60M in dead money sitting there waiting to be absorbed. It’s why I am saying here and now - the rebuild is underway. And come March 25, 2025 - it’s gonna really be underway.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#1273 » by Micah Prescott » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:49 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:No doubt - anyone who survived the Bum Bright era understands that Jerry saved this franchise with his purchase and bringing Jimmy on board. It isn’t a question of hating Jerry or Stephen or Charlotte… but it is more than fair to question them for the mess they have in their laps with the cap - especially next year with over $60M in dead money sitting there waiting to be absorbed. It’s why I am saying here and now - the rebuild is underway. And come March 25, 2025 - it’s gonna really be underway.

I don't disagree really, but I do believe that a large part of winning games, especially in the NFL, is just flat out of the control of anyone.

And I am very much reminded of that watching the Dallas Mavericks in their current playoff series.

Mavs got blown out by the Clippers in Game 1. That game was Cowboys vs Packers for them. Everyone on the team just fell flat. But in the NBA they get a 7 game series and now the series is tied 2-2. Maybe this would be the same if the Cowboys got 7 games vs the Packers.

We always have to point our finger at someone. We like to blame, it makes us feel better to act like we know the "problem". But sometimes the problem is as simple as "it just wasn't our day".
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1274 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:50 pm

And of course - the question after this season - is McCarthy the right guy for a rebuild? That’s when a decision needs to be made about him.

My opinion - no. I think that’s when you go out, identify one of the young up-and-comers and get him.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1275 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:59 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I don't disagree really, but I do believe that a large part of winning games, especially in the NFL, is just flat out of the control of anyone.

And I am very much reminded of that watching the Dallas Mavericks in their current playoff series.

Mavs got blown out by the Clippers in Game 1. That game was Cowboys vs Packers for them. Everyone on the team just fell flat. But in the NBA they get a 7 game series and now the series is tied 2-2. Maybe this would be the same if the Cowboys got 7 games vs the Packers.

We always have to point our finger at someone. We like to blame, it makes us feel better to act like we know the "problem". But sometimes the problem is as simple as "it just wasn't our day".

Better comparison for me is the Stars. Losing the first two at home in the manner they did… very similar to that first half against Green Bay. And to your point - maybe if the Cowboys & Packers played 3 times instead of one, the results would have be different. But that’s not how it works. And if the Stars don’t grab a win in Vegas tonight and go down 3-1, the “this team wasn’t ready" finger pointing is gonna begin in earnest. Just as it did back in January.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,125

Post#1276 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:12 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

It won’t just be Dak either. Demarcus Lawrence, and Zack Martin will also be free agents and allowed to walk.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1277 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't draft a RB. They must not have loved this class.

From what I hear next year’s RB class is much better. The draft was too deep with good OL that they had to get as many as they could. Especially considering the holes they have on the OL and the fact that this is also Zack Martin’s last year.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1278 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:16 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Jerry is really old now.

Jerry will run the team until they wheel his coffin out of there. He will also likely outlive everyone on this board. Jerry is a vampire.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1279 » by Mr B » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:23 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:And of course - the question after this season - is McCarthy the right guy for a rebuild? That’s when a decision needs to be made about him.

My opinion - no. I think that’s when you go out, identify one of the young up-and-comers and get him.

I used to think that there is no way in hell MM comes back next season however if Trey Lance shows anything positive and if the Cowboys resign Lance I really do think MM returns. MM has his flaws however the one thing he does really well is work with QB’s.

If hell freezes over though and Jerry fires MM and hires Bill Belichick they will have to find the best QB coach available and bring him in. Bill got lucky with Brady, because he really knows Jack about grooming QB’s.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#1280 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:24 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Zeke now counts a minimum of $8M against this year’s cap. That includes $6M in dead money from his last deal.

It won’t just be Dak either. Demarcus Lawrence, and Zack Martin will also be free agents and allowed to walk.

Yep… and along with another $8.7M for Gallup I’m counting up over $80M in dead money. That ain’t optimal.

Return to Dallas Cowboys