Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,133

Week 10 - Minnesota Vikings. 

Post#81 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:13 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:I'll give you the Packers I guess but for whatever reason the Packers were never a problem for Dallas back then. And I think Rodgers is vastly superior to Favre. The AFC as a whole was garbage during Troy's time. Those early 90s years anyway. Everyone knew that if they could make it to the Super Bowl it was theirs.

You seem like a feasible fan to me. Ask yourself (and be honest with yourself) if Troy didn't have those rings would you consider him better than Romo? If you remove the wins and losses and just compare the two of them in a vacuum who would you consider more talented.

The "lore" rewards ONLY the QB position for wins and losses and it's BS to be honest.

Everyone understands that Barry Sanders was better then Emmitt Smith. Despite the fact that Barry couldn't win anything and Smith has 3 rings. So with RBs fans are able to look past the "team". That's exactly how QBs should be treated too. But they aren't and it's BS.

If Dak won a ring this year it wouldn't be because he got better. It would be because his defense did.

Did Stafford suddenly get worse at playing QB this year? No his team got worse. He is the same.

Right now Micah Parsons is complaining that the MVP award should go to others, not just QBs.

QBs always have, and probably always will, get way way way way way too much credit for wins and losses. I can accept that most fans will sheepishly have that mindset, it's fine. But it is always nice to run into fans who are more realistic and open minded than that.

If we removed all their accomplishments and stats and all things were equal (type of offense and era) and I had a choice between a young Troy Aikman at the start of his prime or a young Tony Romo at the start of his prime I’m taking Troy Aikman 10 out of 10 times. Troy was superior to Romo in every physical way and had the temperament I prefer out of my QB.

No not their stats, those are individual accomplishments. JUST the wins and loses which are accomplished by entire rosters and coaching staffs.

If we ignore their team success, and just look at what each of them did individually, I don't think anyone could say Troy is better than Tony with a straight face. The only reason Troy get the nod is those rings, and the "lore" around them. And that is all it is. "LORE".

Obviously Troy was the superior prospect coming out of college.

Andrew Luck was also a superior prospect and he lost to Oklahoma State before being drafted, no one cared because they understood that is the result of the team and not Andrew Luck.

Just answer the question…

If all things are equal and you had a choice between the two, young Troy entering his prime or young Romo entering his prime, and you can put them in any offense you want who are you taking?
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,169

Re: Week 10 - Minnesota Vikings. 

Post#82 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:34 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:If we removed all their accomplishments and stats and all things were equal (type of offense and era) and I had a choice between a young Troy Aikman at the start of his prime or a young Tony Romo at the start of his prime I’m taking Troy Aikman 10 out of 10 times. Troy was superior to Romo in every physical way and had the temperament I prefer out of my QB.

No not their stats, those are individual accomplishments. JUST the wins and loses which are accomplished by entire rosters and coaching staffs.

If we ignore their team success, and just look at what each of them did individually, I don't think anyone could say Troy is better than Tony with a straight face. The only reason Troy get the nod is those rings, and the "lore" around them. And that is all it is. "LORE".

Andrew Luck was also a superior prospect and he lost to Oklahoma State before being drafted, no one cared because they understood that is the result of the team and not Andrew Luck.

If all things are equal and you had a choice between the two, young Troy entering his prime or young Romo entering his prime, and you can put them in any offense you want who are you taking?

Romo was undrafted, everyone would take Troy THE PROSPECT over Romo.

That isn't saying anything though, everyone would take Jamarcus Russell the young prospect over Tom Brady.

Knowing what I know now? I'd go Romo, because he is the more skilled QB.

Generally speaking, players of today are more skilled at every position. Although Romo and Troy were not that far separated, their QB classes are pretty far off. QBs of the 2000s are much more skilled than QBs of the 90s.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#83 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:38 pm

Part of this debate is being in acceptance of skill level shifting rapidly over time.

This current Dallas roster would completely annihilate any roster that Roger Staubach played for. Final score would be like 80-3. The NFL simply was not nearly as popular then and the talent pool was abysmal compared to now. And that is linear curve from the beginning of the game until today.

"good ol days" syndrome is real.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,346

Post#84 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:40 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:But Tony Romo lost quite a few games all on his own. Big difference.

That isn't true at all. Muffed snaps don't matter if the defense doesn't give up points.

The final score is the result of every single play in the game.

I guess we didn't watch the same games. :falloff:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,346

Post#85 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:13 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:If we removed all their accomplishments and stats and all things were equal (type of offense and era) and I had a choice between a young Troy Aikman at the start of his prime or a young Tony Romo at the start of his prime I’m taking Troy Aikman 10 out of 10 times. Troy was superior to Romo in every physical way and had the temperament I prefer out of my QB.

He won't answer your question. He's above it all. The younger generation fans think we are nothing but a bunch of old phucks that have lost touch with reality. Its all about numbers and analytics. He forgets the rules have changed so much since the 70's making it so much easier for offenses. He also doesn't take into consideration teams only played 14 games a year vs. the 17 we are playing today. Thant's an extra 3 games a year to pile up extra numbers and stats. Even crappy QB's today can catch the numbers of the older players in almost half the time today when you tack on an extra playoff round should make it that far. that's an extra 1000 - 1200 passing yards more with all the other extra numbers. Its shameful to even compare different era's in the first place. This always happens. Can you imagine how bad Micah would get attacked from every angle making these comments on sportshoopla or Dallas Cowboy Universe. He would get shamed to no end. Next, I can see Micah posting that he feels Z. Elliott and D. Murray were just as good or better than Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Don Perkins. And in the future if he ever compares Tony Homo (the ultimate choker) to a legend like Roger Staubach even the non living old guard Cowboy fans would roll in their graves. Its obvious to me Micah has total disregard and disrespect to the generation before him. Its kinda sad to be honest. I wouldn't trade anything we witnessed and went through during the 70's for anything. It actually started before that but I didn't start watching football till 1970 when I was ten years old. Otis can fill you in on the 60's better than I can because I only read about it and have only seen a certain few of those games on U-tube. But I have gone back many times to read the history of the Cowboys since their birth in 1960. I suggest you go back and start there. Maybe when you do that and get a little older, you will have a better appreciation of our true history and tradition and a better respect for all of us older fans that were there.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#86 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:56 pm

This is a comparison of Troy Aikman (who retired in 2000) and Tony Romo (who started in 2003)

So I don't know why you are bringing up the 60s and 70s.

I'm 45 btw. I can remember Jerry firing Landry and I can also remember Dallas drafting Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft. I can remember Barry Sanders running at Oklahoma State. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, etc. Much of the 80s is still fresh with me and ALL of the 90s is.

On average todays athletes are bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled, more knowledged. They are the opposite of this:

I'm sorry, it's just reality.

You can hand pick some athletes from th good old days that would still be good today. I'm sure Jim Brown would still be great today. But overall the majority of players back then couldn't get on a practice squad in today's NFL.
Mr B
RealGM

Week 10 - Minnesota Vikings. 

Post#87 » by Mr B » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:17 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:This is a comparison of Troy Aikman (who retired in 2000) and Tony Romo (who started in 2003)

So I don't know why you are bringing up the 60s and 70s.

I'm 45 btw. I can remember Jerry firing Landry and I can also remember Dallas drafting Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft. I can remember Barry Sanders running at Oklahoma State. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, etc. Much of the 80s is still fresh with me and ALL of the 90s is.

On average todays athletes are bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled, more knowledged. They are the opposite of this:

I'm sorry, it's just reality.

You can hand pick some athletes from th good old days that would still be good today. I'm sure Jim Brown would still be great today. But overall the majority of players back then couldn't get on a practice squad in today's NFL.

You really need to go back and read the draft profile on Troy Aikman and how highly thought if he was coming out of UCLA. Also I think you highly underestimate how much more of a leader Troy was compared to Romo.

If you could take Dak’s leadership qualities and put them in Josh Allen’s body, that’s what Troy was coming out of college. He was the second coming of John Elway and if he was in an offense that demanded that he throw more even you wouldn’t be questioning this.

Not many QB’s in today’s game are bigger and stronger than Troy was coming out of college.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#88 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:01 pm

Mr B wrote:You really need to go back and read the draft profile on Troy Aikman and how highly thought if he was coming out of UCLA. Also I think you highly underestimate how much more of a leader Troy was compared to Romo.

If you could take Dak’s leadership qualities and put them in Josh Allen’s body, that’s what Troy was coming out of college. He was the second coming of John Elway and if he was in an offense that demanded that he throw more even you wouldn’t be questioning this.

Not many QB’s in today’s game are bigger and stronger than Troy was coming out of college.

THIS is why I would still take Troy over Romo... and would take Roger as well. It's the one intangible which the great QB's have that all the skill in the world cannot compensate for nor can stats capture. It's why I still hold out hope that this team will succeed with Dak running the show. Just as the teams of Staubach & Aikman would drive through a wall for those two, this team will do the same for Dak. I never heard that same level of commitment from teammates for Romo. And that's not a slam on Tony. It's just a fact when it comes to QB's. The greats all have it.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#89 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:58 pm

Roger I have as #1 overall, and well above Tony. Roger was actually extremely athletic and not only that but he put up amazing numbers in a time when that was much more difficult. In 1971 Roger threw a 104 passer rating. That's in 1971. Troy couldn't do that his entire career. I think Roger would still be a very capable QB in today's league, he just had it.

Was Troy a better "leader" than Tony? Probably, but that is hard to say for us fans. I know much of that Cowboys team was in party mode at the White House on cocaine, so it's not like Troy had everyone in line like dedicated soldiers. It's just that the talent level on that roster was insane, arguably the greatest ever. That roster was so amazing that it won a ring two years out from it's original head coach leaving. When has that EVER happened before? Never.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#90 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:32 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Roger I have as #1 overall, and well above Tony. Roger was actually extremely athletic and not only that but he put up amazing numbers in a time when that was much more difficult. In 1971 Roger threw a 104 passer rating. That's in 1971. Troy couldn't do that his entire career. I think Roger would still be a very capable QB in today's league, he just had it.

Was Troy a better "leader" than Tony? Probably, but that is hard to say for us fans. I know much of that Cowboys team was in party mode at the White House on cocaine, so it's not like Troy had everyone in line like dedicated soldiers. It's just that the talent level on that roster was insane, arguably the greatest ever. That roster was so amazing that it won a ring two years out from it's original head coach leaving. When has that EVER happened before? Never.

The difference is Troy never joined them at the “whitehouse”. Also because of Troy those guys never missed a practice.

Romo on the other hand joined his friends in Cabo while in the midst of a playoff run. He also isolated teammates (T.O., Bennett, Escobar). Basically any young TE that had any chance of challenging his bff Witten would get frozen out of the offense. T.O. Even called him out on that.

As for the “whitehouse”, it wasn’t most of the team that was hanging out there. In reality it was only about 4-5 players. Also quick tidbit, I used to live across the street from said “whitehouse” in Valley Ranch.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#91 » by Micah Prescott » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:53 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:Roger I have as #1 overall, and well above Tony. Roger was actually extremely athletic and not only that but he put up amazing numbers in a time when that was much more difficult. In 1971 Roger threw a 104 passer rating. That's in 1971. Troy couldn't do that his entire career. I think Roger would still be a very capable QB in today's league, he just had it.

The difference is Troy never joined them at the “whitehouse”. Also because of Troy those guys never missed a practice.

Romo on the other hand joined his friends in Cabo while in the midst of a playoff run. He also isolated teammates (T.O., Bennett, Escobar). Basically any young TE that had any chance of challenging his bff Witten would get frozen out of the offense. T.O. Even called him out on that.

As for the “whitehouse”, it wasn’t most of the team that was hanging out there. In reality it was only about 4-5 players. Also quick tidbit, I used to live across the street from said “whitehouse” in Valley Ranch.

I will concede that Troy was a better leader but those years has some of the most insane locker room stories ever told.

Michael Irvin almost killed a player. McIver. He stabbed him in the neck and was about a centimeter away from his jugular vein which would have resulted in death. People ignore this story, even Cowboy fans pretend it never happened. It was attempted murder.

Can you imagine if this happened in today's league? Irvin would be canceled and out of the league never to be seen again.

And then police officer was found guilty of hiring someone to kill Irvin which is even more insane. That really had nothing to do with Troy, but still very crazy stuff that is unheard of now.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#92 » by Mr B » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:08 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I will concede that Troy was a better leader but those years has some of the most insane locker room stories ever told.

Michael Irvin almost killed a player. McIver. He stabbed him in the neck and was about a centimeter away from his jugular vein which would have resulted in death. People ignore this story, even Cowboy fans pretend it never happened. It was attempted murder.

Can you imagine if this happened in today's league? Irvin would be canceled and out of the league never to be seen again.

And then police officer was found guilty of hiring someone to kill Irvin which is even more insane. That really had nothing to do with Troy, but still very crazy stuff that is unheard of now.

Irvin got away with so much because he produced and in spite of all his antics off the field he was still the hardest worker on the field and really never missed a practice. Not saying that right, just the way it was. Also I think the reason nothing became of Irvin’s attack on McIver was because McIver declined to press charges. If I remember correctly the fight started because McIver wouldn’t let Irvin cut in line for a haircut.

I remember Darren Woodson telling a story about Irvin. Woodson was a rookie and was walking the facility during an off week and in the locker room they had a huge window that overlooked the practice field. He said Irvin was out there by himself running routes. He said he watched Irvin run several routes, then throw up from all the running and then continued running routes. Woodson said that was the moment he really realized just how hard he was going to have to work if he wanted to make team.

I have a buddy that also told me a story that he saw Irvin pull a gun on a guy in Deep Ellum. All of the crazy stories we’ve heard about Irvin I’m sure are nothing compared to tue stories we haven’t heard.

Return to Dallas Cowboys