ImageImageImageImage

Ellis Contract - Now he plays?

Moderator: Texas Chuck

SMRattler
Head Coach
And1: 0

Ellis Contract - Now he plays? 

Post#1 » by SMRattler » Wed Oct 3, 2007 10:22 pm

In case you don't know the details here are a couple of links. I recommend the Cowboys bloggers since Micky made the mistake of making his just a Jerry Jones quote which makes your head spin and wonder what the topic was.

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/20 ... l#comments

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/20 ... l#comments

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?i ... 13E42AD28A

I know most people will disagree, I don't care, this is how I see it and I really don't see how it can be anything else.

Ellis has been complaining too long now about "commitment" and saying over and over "it's not about money, I don't want more money, I just want commitment". That's complete BS. Commitment obviously translated to guarantee and translated to more money.

He had no leverage last season when his big complaint was his move to OLB. He saw it as a chance to fail and get cut and wanted more money to take that chance. Jerry had the leverage: "you're under contract, shut up and play". Guy was having a great year until his injury. Then he's rehabbing in the offseason. Come training camp, he steps on the training camp field, turns around and goes to the locker room. NOW he has leverage.

That's when we heard Wade Philips saying day to day and Ellis saying he might need to retire because of this. Doctors telling Philips the truth: the last part of the rehab is painful, everyone coming back from it goes through this, he'll have to tough it out and it'll get better. Philips knew that meant everything was ok, it's just pain, something most NFL players fight through every day.

But Ellis knew they couldn't force him to go out there. He had all the leverage. And he held it till Jerry caved. Ellis is now getting paid an extra couple of million for rehab pain.

We need Ellis on the field and I'm really glad he's out there now. But this whole thing makes me sick. Eh, I'll get over it if our defense becomes what it can because of him.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#2 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Oct 3, 2007 10:34 pm

Well its not our money and i dont think it will hurt the team financially (as in not being able to acquire or keep the guys they want) so i really dont care. Yes it may not be the correct way to go about things, or completely moral/ethical, but in the end its Jones money and if it means more success for the team we as fans should be happy with that.

Its not like he was doing something illegal to make him happy and contribute the best on the field, so i dont see it as a problem for us. Just my opinion though.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,975

Post#3 » by Jasen777 » Thu Oct 4, 2007 1:26 am

With non-guaranteed contracts, I don't blame NFL players for doing things like this.

Return to Dallas Cowboys