Minn @ Big D on Fox @ 3pm

Moderator: Texas Chuck

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Minn @ Big D on Fox @ 3pm 

Post#1 » by boogiesdad » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:41 am

(STATS LLC) -- Though it's still only October, the Dallas Cowboys believe they're ready to play in February -- even after a decisive loss on their home field.

The Cowboys try to regroup from their first defeat of the season when they host NFL leading rusher Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday.

Dallas fell 48-27 to New England last week in a matchup that marked only the fifth time in league history that two undefeated teams with five or more wins faced each other. The Cowboys committed a season-high 12 penalties, failed to stop the Patriots on their first five drives and surrendered their most points since giving up 49 to Philadelphia on Nov. 15, 2004, but are still convinced that they'll be playing in this season's Super Bowl in Glendale, Arizona.

"If they make it to Arizona, we will see them again," receiver Patrick Crayton said of the Patriots. "Seriously, I'm not backing down from that statement."

The Cowboys (5-1), who have their bye week after hosting Minnesota (2-3), have allowed an NFC-worst 11 passing touchdowns this year. Dallas, however, has been stingier against the run, yielding just under 80 yards per game and two touchdowns on the year.

It will be sorely tested by Peterson, a native of Palestine, Texas -- about two hours away from Dallas.

The rookie running back turned in one of the best performances in the NFL this season last Sunday in a 34-31 win at Chicago, running for a team-record 224 yards on 20 attempts and touchdowns of 67, 73 and 35 yards.

"I just got comfortable, more comfortable with the speed of the game," Peterson said. "I knew anything was possible."

Peterson, who played three times in Dallas in college in the Oklahoma-Texas rivalry, is still officially the backup to Chester Taylor. Peterson, however, leads the NFL in rushing yards (607) and yards per carry (6.3).

"He has had a lot of good days at Oklahoma," Vikings coach Brad Childress said. "And I can say it over and over, I sound like a broken record, but he is just happy to be contributing and being a viable part of this team and this organization and just finding ways that he can contribute. It's extremely refreshing."

Peterson also has 10 receptions for 175 yards this year, and returned a kickoff 53 yards last week to set up Ryan Longwell's winning 55-yard field goal as time expired.

Whether struggling Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson can take advantage of Dallas' inability to defend against the pass is questionable. Jackson returned against the Bears after missing two games with a groin injury and completed a season-low 9 of 23 passes for 136 yards.

"You just want to be able to make plays, too," Jackson said. "You don't want to be that guy that holds the team back."

The Vikings are the only team in the NFL yet to allow a rushing touchdown, but they will have to shore up their pass defense against Tony Romo, Terrell Owens and Crayton. Minnesota has yielded an NFC-high 1,442 yards through the air, and Romo -- an Eastern Illinois product like Childress -- has 15 touchdowns to lead the conference.

"He throws early; he doesn't throw hard, which he is a great anticipatory thrower from that standpoint," Childress said. "I think that's the thing that makes him good. He understands his scheme. Heavy emphasis on Eastern Illinois though."

The Cowboys have been peppered with questions about the Patriots early this week, but they expect to go into their bye on a high.

"We're still 5-1. No, it wasn't beautiful and we got spanked a little bit," linebacker Bradie James said. "One game is not going to define you. ... Our confidence hasn't wavered. We still have opportunities to be successful, and that's what we're going to do."

Minnesota has won five straight against Dallas, including a playoff victory in 2000. The teams haven't met since the Vikings won 35-17 on Sept. 12, 2004.

From ESPN.COM
Minhee
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#2 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:11 pm

Why is it that they always find a way to piss me off every game? That stupid false start may have cause Romo to fumble the ball. Why can't our coaching staff discipline these idiots on the team to quit committing penalties? It doesn't help that our defense can't contain their running game.

We better not lose this game. We have not been impressive since our last win against the Rams.

I expect a lot more from these guys.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:16 pm

Because of our mistakes, we are out of challenges for the game already. Well, thanks to the officials mistakes as well. Still, that guy has no business being that wide open on a 3rd and long even if he went out of bounds. Our defense is terrible.

We still can't play football in the first half. We better explode in the 2nd half.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:26 pm

This is unbelivable. This entire football team sucks.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:26 pm

Romo is injured, what else can go wrong.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:41 pm

This was the worse first half of the season besides the opening drive TD. Ok maybe 2nd behind the Buffalo game.

They get the ball to start the 2nd half so we could be down 17-7 or 21-7. Our defense needs to come up big.

And where are my fellow Cowboys fans at today? I am venting alone, maybe I need to stay away from realgm when things aren't going right lol.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#7 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:19 pm

well it seems as if we've turned it around since your rant, if you wanna chat go to the nfl non primetime thread
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:27 pm

HELL YEAH!!! Finally a big play. Block FG and Pat Watkins returned it for a TD. :clap: :clap:

Not sure if you want me in that chatroom. I am too negative lol.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:31 pm

I saw the big play myself. Great block by the Cowboys and great return by Watkins. The pressure is on Minnesota a bit. Keep on them Cowboys!
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:32 pm

Ok now we really need to play some defense. They are already in our territory, no time to celebrate. Taylor and Peterson are no joke running the ball.

We are making Jackson look like Michael Vick out there with our inability to tackle.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:45 pm

Good job forcing Peterson to fumble because that guy really scares me. Now please put this guy away, we need a TD here. No Turnovers or FG please.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:49 pm

Darn I had to settle for a FG, but I will take it. I think we are running the ball a little way too much in this 2nd half.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#13 » by SD2042 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:51 pm

I think the idea is to eat the time away from the Vikes to keep the ball to Dallas's advantage.
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Minhee » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:15 pm

yeah good point I guess I am greedy. I always expect good things only lol.

Our offense only scored 14 pts today, our defense and special team won the game for us today. Can't forget about Marion Barber running as well.

Our O Line needs to protect Romo better, Tony got knocked down way too many times today. Watching him hobble off the field before the half scared me.
SMRattler
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#15 » by SMRattler » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:28 am

The defense got run over on the opening drive, but as I expected, they shut them down the rest of the game. Our offense threw all over hte place as expected, but they got two turnovers and beleive it or not, that was enough for Minn to get some points AND kill more clock. They wanted to shroten the game, while we were turning it over, they were shortening the game with their running game.

Luckily, things finally blew up on that Canty block and Pat returning it.

Pretty fun game, I was hoping to see more Peterson (as long as we could keep scoring). But all ended well. Well deserved break coming up, the next 3 games should tel us what kind of team we will be. That old Bill saying is coming true: We'll know by Thanksgiving what kind of team we will be. Three NFC East games and Green Bay will do that.
f l u r p
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 67

Post#16 » by f l u r p » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:50 am

Yep. The next stretch is gonna be the test of the regular season.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,975

Post#17 » by Jasen777 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:55 am

Must stop turnovers....
Minhee
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Minhee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:49 am

The next three games will be extremely tough. All 3 are divisional games, at Philly, at NY and back home vs Washington. Anything can happen when any NFC East teams play one another. If we go 0-3 we are screwed, 1-2 will pretty much knock us into a second place tie in the division. 2-1 will put us in a 1st place tie with the Giants. We can pretty much pencil the Giants at 6-2 since they play the Dolphins next week.

Return to Dallas Cowboys