[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2010 Skins Offseason Thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Re: 2010 Skins Offseason Thread (Campbell update pg.9) 

Post#141 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Fri May 14, 2010 2:08 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Anyone up for bringing Shawne Merriman home?

I'd be down for the right price. He had 2nd round value in trades over draft weekend, I'm not a big fan of parting with those kind of assets. Andre Carter is the man, but Cali is home for him, I wonder how that swap would work... imagine Merriman and Orakpo rushing from the outside :o
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#142 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 3, 2010 12:44 am

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan made his most emphatic public overtures to free agent running back Brian Westbrook Wednesday, saying Washington has made Westbrook an official offer to join a full stable of running backs that already includes veterans Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson and Willie Parker.

Asked after Wednesday's offseason workout session if he had heard from Westbrook or his agent, Shanahan told the assembled media, "No, but if you guys hear anything, just tell him that we're ready.

"We want him to sign with us," Shanahan said. "Like I said, it could be some great competition. I really like Brian, what he's done and how he's handled himself. I'm sure he's weighing some options. It's not too far away from home. Any more I can do?"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... insinsider

:clap:

Like I said, Westbrook would be a super 3rd down back. I'm hoping he signs.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#143 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 3, 2010 1:33 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan made his most emphatic public overtures to free agent running back Brian Westbrook Wednesday, saying Washington has made Westbrook an official offer to join a full stable of running backs that already includes veterans Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson and Willie Parker.

Asked after Wednesday's offseason workout session if he had heard from Westbrook or his agent, Shanahan told the assembled media, "No, but if you guys hear anything, just tell him that we're ready.

"We want him to sign with us," Shanahan said. "Like I said, it could be some great competition. I really like Brian, what he's done and how he's handled himself. I'm sure he's weighing some options. It's not too far away from home. Any more I can do?"

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... insinsider

Like I said, Westbrook would be a super 3rd down back. I'm hoping he signs.

I do like Westbrook's game. 4 starting caliber RBs seems like a lot. However they all have injury concerns and Shanahan has used a platoon in the past. I think one guy likely gets cut/traded before the beginning of the season.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man

Post#144 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Thu Jun 3, 2010 3:41 pm

My money is still on Willie getting axed before the season. I hope Ryan Torain finds a spot with special teams as a way to make the team, he had a lot of promise as a rookie (was Shanny's man-crush) before blowing his knee, and he's the ONLY running back on the team with a realistic shot of still being here contributing in 2-3 years.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#145 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 3, 2010 5:52 pm

Of all the running backs, Portis seems like the odd man out. Shanahan likes to mix and match his backs. I can see all of those guys accepting that except CP. That's probably why they've come out and said Portis is the "starter" so early. They want to avoid another Haynesworth-like distraction while they still hope to move him. The absence of a cap means that a trade is still possible. Somebody's going to get hurt somewhere and we'll be able to get some kind of future pick for Portis. I don't expect him to be on the team when it's all said and done.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man

Post#146 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Mike Furrey? Man, Donovan has to look at his receivers lined up wide at practice and just shake his head.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#147 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Redskins Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, contending that the team has broken promises to him, will not attend the team's mandatory minicamp that begins Wednesday morning and wants to be traded, his representative said Tuesday night.

Haynesworth no longer trusts the Redskins because high-ranking team officials, who aggressively pursued the two-time all-pro during the 2009 offseason, made assurances that have not panned out about Haynesworth's role and how he would be permitted to play, agent Chad Speck said.

Coach Mike Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen should strongly consider moving the eight-year veteran, Speck said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 05348.html

Wow, they should have dealt this guy when they had the chance (heard on 980 that they could have gotten a 3rd at the draft but held out for a 2nd). Now they will get Jason Campbell-like value for him.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#148 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:34 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Redskins Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, contending that the team has broken promises to him, will not attend the team's mandatory minicamp that begins Wednesday morning and wants to be traded, his representative said Tuesday night.

Haynesworth no longer trusts the Redskins because high-ranking team officials, who aggressively pursued the two-time all-pro during the 2009 offseason, made assurances that have not panned out about Haynesworth's role and how he would be permitted to play, agent Chad Speck said.

Coach Mike Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen should strongly consider moving the eight-year veteran, Speck said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 05348.html

Wow, they should have dealt this guy when they had the chance (heard on 980 that they could have gotten a 3rd at the draft but held out for a 2nd). Now they will get Jason Campbell-like value for him.

It seems crazy to me to be so quick to dump a classy guy for pennies on the dollar(Campbell), but hold out for top value on a PITA like Haynesworth. I guess it comes down to all the money that Haynesworth has been paid.
The thing I don't get about this situation is if he wanted off the Skins so badly, why didn't he just walk before he got his bonus.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man

Re: 2010 Skins Offseason Thread (Haynesworth update pg.10) 

Post#149 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:13 pm

21 million probably assuaged his worries about being on the Skins... for like a week. Then he went back to his malcontent crap.

I almost want to thank him for being dumb enough to sit out mandatory activities. The Skins finally have a chance to get money back, possibly a portion or all of his 21 mil. It's never been done, but never has anyone taken a signing bonus that large and not gone to mandatory work just weeks later.

We only owe him 9 mil a season or something relatively low over the next 2. If we can't trade him, don't release him to make him happy. Let him waste the prime of his career on the bench. PLEASE Danny, you're rich enough and he screwed you enough out of a portion of those riches, at least think about it...
verbal8
General Manager

Post#150 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:27 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:21 million probably assuaged his worries about being on the Skins... for like a week. Then he went back to his malcontent crap.

I almost want to thank him for being dumb enough to sit out mandatory activities. The Skins finally have a chance to get money back, possibly a portion or all of his 21 mil. It's never been done, but never has anyone taken a signing bonus that large and not gone to mandatory work just weeks later.

We only owe him 9 mil a season or something relatively low over the next 2. If we can't trade him, don't release him to make him happy. Let him waste the prime of his career on the bench. PLEASE Danny, you're rich enough and he screwed you enough out of a portion of those riches, at least think about it...

If ever an NFL player deserved to be "Tinsley'd" Haynesworth does. I think he is one of those people who just will not be happy no matter what. If he would just shut up and play he has a chance to be a leader of a very good defense and eventually a HOF candidate. However with all his whining about money and being used properly, he will be seen as a primadonna foremost and any on-the-field brilliance will be overshadowed.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#151 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:16 pm

We got another tackle!

The New Orleans Saints agreed to trade offensive lineman Jammal Brown to the Washington Redskins on Saturday, according a league source.

The Redskins will either be sending a 2011 third- or fourth-round pick to the Eagles as part of the Donovan McNabb trade, depending on his performance. Whichever of those picks is not sent to the Eagles, would then go to the Saints, as well as a potential future late-round pick.

The Redskins will also receive a yet-to-be-determined pick from the Saints in the lower rounds of the 2011 draft. In addition, Washington will send a 2012 sixth-round pick to New Orleans if Brown meets certain incentives.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

If he's truly recovered from his hernia and hip injuries, that gives us the potential for true bookend tackles. Shannahan and Allen gettin' it done!

NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man

Re: 2010 Skins Offseason Thread (Jammal Brown update pg.10) 

Post#152 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:07 am

I got this news coming out of 3 days without cell phone reception in the Smoky Mountains and was ECSTATIC!

So if I'm reading correctly we got him for trading down a few rounds in next years draft, MAYBE another 6th rounder if he does well? What a steal!

EVERYTHING about Bruce Allen- whether its him reaching out to the former Skins who feel alienated from the org. or the moves he's made this offseason- points to him being one of the best front office hirings the Skins have had in a WHILE.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#153 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:17 am

Vincent Jackson might not be a Charger for long.

No one is predicting he will shipped off soon, and it does not appear other teams have been officially notified the Pro Bowl receiver is on the trading block. But several sources confirmed the Chargers talked with the Seattle Seahawks earlier this month and have made it known Jackson will remain available.

The Seahawks maintain interest, as do “several other teams,” according to one source. Among those teams, sources said, are the Washington Redskins. It is not known whether the Redskins have spoken to the Chargers regarding Jackson.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010 ... e-seattle/

He's looking for big $$$ but I'd still consider it since he's a legit #1 receiver.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#154 » by Scabs304 » Wed Jul 7, 2010 9:19 am

I've like what we have done in the offseason with the Skins. We have built a serviceable team that should be able to compete for the NFC East yet we have not mortgaged the futured either. Maybe tanking a season would be better, but I would much rather try to win and then if we don't keep the youngins around and build around them. We really need to draft a QB next season though.
I am Scabs.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#155 » by Rafael122 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Well, if we have a pretty good year this season, I don't think we'll be able to find a QB late in the first round. Lots can change though. I'm just glad we have an NFL-caliber offensive line. Hell I could have started last year.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#156 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:21 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Well, if we have a pretty good year this season, I don't think we'll be able to find a QB late in the first round.

They did recently pick up John Beck, who at one time had a second round grade. If he shows something in preseason, he could fill that "QB of the future" role.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#157 » by verbal8 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:39 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Well, if we have a pretty good year this season, I don't think we'll be able to find a QB late in the first round.

They did recently pick up John Beck, who at one time had a second round grade. If he shows something in preseason, he could fill that "QB of the future" role.

I don't think Beck is much more than a third stringer. He turns 29 this month, so I think his possibility as a developing young QB is limited. I think the Skins should get 2 or 3 good years out of McNabb. I think next year is the time to take a long shot prospect or two in the middle of the draft. If that doesn't pan out, then it is a need to address in the 2012 draft.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Re: 2010 Skins Offseason Thread 

Post#158 » by Rafael122 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:50 pm

He also went to a Mormon school though, and he was a senior at like 25.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Washington Football Team