Schilling apologizes to Bonds about comments

Moderator: TyCobb

BS007
Banned User
And1: 0

Schilling apologizes to Bonds about comments 

Post#1 » by BS007 » Fri May 11, 2007 3:29 pm

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/artic ... p&c_id=bos

TORONTO -- Red Sox ace Curt Schilling created a blog this season so that he could better communicate with his fans, and also get his thoughts out there in an unfiltered way. But Schilling found another use for www.38pitches.com on Wednesday, when he issued a public apology to Barry Bonds for critical comments Schilling made about the Giants superstar in a radio interview a day earlier.

"Everyone has days and events in life they'd love to push the rewind button on, [Tuesday] was one of those days," wrote Schilling. "Regardless of my opinions, thoughts and beliefs on anything Barry Bonds, it was absolutely irresponsible and wrong to say what I did. I don't think it's within anyone's right to say the things I said [Tuesday] and affect other people's lives in that way."

During his weekly spot on WEEI-850 AM in Boston, Schilling was asked if fans should hold their nose as Bonds closes in on the all-time home run record.

"Oh yeah. I would think so," Schilling told hosts John Dennis and Dale Arnold. "I mean, he admitted that he used steroids. I mean, there's no gray area. He admitted to cheating on his wife, cheating on his taxes and cheating on the game, so I think the reaction around the league, the game, being what it is, in the case of what people think. Hank Aaron not being there. The Commissioner [Bud Selig] trying to figure out where to be. It's sad."

Red Sox manager Terry Francona was so uncomfortable with Schilling's comments that he addressed it with the right-hander -- who he has a great relationship with -- in a Tuesday meeting.

Overall, Francona doesn't have a problem with Schilling voicing his opinions on his weekly radio spot or his blog. But he'd like the right-hander to tone it down on some controversial issues.

"Stay away from certain things," said Francona. "It just doesn't make sense. If he wants to run for office someday and tackle the world's problems, go ahead. Just not while I'm the manager. I just think there's issues you stay away from. If media asks you something, you don't have to answer. That's just the way I feel. Everybody feels differently though and that's their right. I've been with Schill a long time. I think the world of this guy. I just told him to ease off on the gas pedal, and he will."

Schilling chose not to discuss the matter with the media on Wednesday, feeling that the blog spoke for itself. He also indicated there would be no direct apology to Bonds.

"That's still no excuse or reason to say what I did, or even answer the question that was asked," continued Schilling in the blog entry. "The question I was asked and the answer I gave yesterday affected a lot more people than just he and I. His wife, his children, his friends and his family were all affected by that, as were mine and my teammates.

"As someone who's made it very clear I have major issues with members of the media that take little or no pride in their work, it's the height of hypocrisy for me to say what I did, in any forum. I started this blog to give people a look into the life we live on and off the field, not to get into back and forths with people I don't like or have issues with. Doing that will only make this a rant filled no content bunch of words."

The Giants play in Boston June 15-17, at which point Bonds could be right on the cusp of passing Aaron. The way the Boston pitching rotation is set up right now, Schilling will not pitch against Bonds and the Giants.
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Post#2 » by skitch815 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:59 am

It doesnt really sound like much of an apology. if he were any kind of man he would at least attempt to reach out and apologize man to man.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#3 » by studcrackers » Sat May 12, 2007 5:51 pm

anyone with a clue knows he doesnt give a **** about this apology he just did it b/c he caught some flak from his teammates and the media.

he's needs to shut up i could give a **** on what his opinions of things are and he's a pompous ass.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#4 » by FNQ » Sat May 12, 2007 6:25 pm

Who cares anymore... Schilling is a headcase. Says he hates the media and all that, yet loves to run over to them and share his worthless opinions...
BS007
Banned User

Post#5 » by BS007 » Sun May 13, 2007 2:24 am

I happen to agree with what Schill said orginally and didnt' think he needed to apologize at all
edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#6 » by edney2polynice_ » Sun May 13, 2007 9:00 am

BS007 wrote:I happen to agree with what Schill said orginally and didnt' think he needed to apologize at all

You agree that he should A) slander Bonds with false statements and B) cause a huge distraction to his team?
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#7 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sun May 13, 2007 9:59 am

That had to have been the most awkward apology ever.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#8 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun May 13, 2007 10:08 am

I'm pretty sure the Red Sox forced Shill into an apology. I also don't think he was taking back the roid statement. I think he knew he went overboard with the cheating on his wife and not paying his taxes.
sideshowking24
Junior

Post#9 » by sideshowking24 » Sun May 13, 2007 2:23 pm

... the thing is, although outlandish, the statement Schilling made about Bond's and his wife was the only one he got correct. the other two about the taxes and steroids weren't correct... thats where he crossed the line.
Modern_epic
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#10 » by Modern_epic » Sun May 13, 2007 2:31 pm

BS007 wrote:I happen to agree with what Schill said orginally and didnt' think he needed to apologize at all

Sweet, I can now call you a liar and have it not be slander!

Liar liar pants on fire, hanging on a telephone wire!
BS007
Banned User

Post#11 » by BS007 » Sun May 13, 2007 7:49 pm

Well Bonds did cheat on his wife and on his taxes, and admitted to taking steriods..
edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#12 » by edney2polynice_ » Sun May 13, 2007 9:10 pm

It's quite comical when pp try to burn him at the stake for steroids, and since that hasn't worked too well, they jump on the he cheated on taxes/wife bandwagon too.

Just because you dislike a guy's attitude, doesn't mean you go after his personal life.

There have only been rumors that he cheated on his wife and taxes, but people seem to have an inside on this, perhaps they're Bonds' tax attorney?
sideshowking24
Junior

Post#13 » by sideshowking24 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:05 pm

this is what Schilling said...

Oh yeah. I would think so. I mean, he admitted that he used steroids," said Schilling. "I mean, there's no gray area. He admitted to cheating on his wife, cheating on his taxes, and cheating on the game, so I think the reaction around the league, the game, being what it is, in the case of what people think. Hank Aaron not being there. The commissioner [Bud Selig] trying to figure out where to be. It's sad.

... now Bonds did admit to cheating on his wife but he never blatantly admitted to taking steroids. He said he used the clear and the cream not knowing it was a steroid, but he has never flat out said "I took steroids." Also, he has never admitted to cheating on his taxes, whether he did or not is another question but he has never admitted to it, which is what Schilling said he did. Curt's comments weren't all true, not to mention, attacking someone personally like that is pretty messed up so an apology was warranted in this situation. now, whether he meant it or not is another question as well...
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:57 pm

More power to you if you think that Bonds didn't know what he was taking. I'm not naive enough to think a guy that cares that much about his body doesn't know what he's putting in it or on it. So I'd have to say what Schilling said was dead on, he just had no business saying it.
sideshowking24
Junior

Post#15 » by sideshowking24 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:38 am

I'm not naive enought to blieve that he didn't know what he took either. All I'm saying is that Bonds never admitted it himself so in that regard, Schilling's comments were incorrect... I think his comments would have been entirely dead on if he didn't add the part were he claimed Bonds admitted it. You can't go around saying people have admitted things that they have never said themselves. Thats all I'm sayin.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 am

Pretty sure he did admit it to a grand jury. Just not to the public. So if Bonds said he took it, but did not know what he was taking....that's still admitting it.
backer55
Senior
And1: 1

Post#17 » by backer55 » Tue May 15, 2007 12:57 am

Common guys, bad enough all the extras comming down on Bonds but let's not be making up stories. Bonds admitted in a sealed Grand Jury Testomy that he at times used a clear and a cream. At no time did he admit that he knew what they were, let alone that he knew they were steroids. HE DID NOT ADMIT TO TAKING STEROIDS.

He got these salves from his long time friend and paid porfessional trainer. This salve was assumed to be steroids by the Grand Jury. Aparently Bonds used these salves to help with aches and pains in the training room.

From the way i can see things, if your gonna make up stories, this one is as good as any, Bonds paid a trainer to supply him with "something" to help out with his soreness. If the friend and trainer gave him steroids in the form of a clear or cream and Bonds found out about it later... Barry may have come down on him hard, his trusted friend, and wouldn't Greg feel that he owed Bonds big time? Hense, the time spent willingly in jail.
HeelSox
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by HeelSox » Tue May 15, 2007 1:39 am

backer55 wrote:Common guys, bad enough all the extras comming down on Bonds but let's not be making up stories. Bonds admitted in a sealed Grand Jury Testomy that he at times used a clear and a cream. At no time did he admit that he knew what they were, let alone that he knew they were steroids. HE DID NOT ADMIT TO TAKING STEROIDS.

He got these salves from his long time friend and paid porfessional trainer. This salve was assumed to be steroids by the Grand Jury. Aparently Bonds used these salves to help with aches and pains in the training room.

From the way i can see things, if your gonna make up stories, this one is as good as any, Bonds paid a trainer to supply him with "something" to help out with his soreness. If the friend and trainer gave him steroids in the form of a clear or cream and Bonds found out about it later... Barry may have come down on him hard, his trusted friend, and wouldn't Greg feel that he owed Bonds big time? Hense, the time spent willingly in jail.

The Cream and the Clear ARE Steroids...so admitting to using the cream and the clear is admitting to using steroids.

and with the Anderson thing...let's look at this. Who's life is more valuable, Greg Anderson or Barry Bonds. I wonder how much money Anderson will receive after he is freed from jail.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:12 am

backer55 wrote:Common guys, bad enough all the extras comming down on Bonds but let's not be making up stories. Bonds admitted in a sealed Grand Jury Testomy that he at times used a clear and a cream. At no time did he admit that he knew what they were, let alone that he knew they were steroids. HE DID NOT ADMIT TO TAKING STEROIDS.

Ok so he knew he was putting something on his body, but had no clue as to what it was that he was doing. I'm sorry but I don't buy that crap at all. He knew what he was doing. A guy that has worked so hard on his body knows exactly what he's put in it or on it.

Also if he admitted to taking the clear or cream he admitted to taking roids. The guy is a cheat, there is just no way around it. And if you want to be naive enough to think Bonds was just an innocent guy that had no clue as to what was going on, then more power to you I guess.
edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#20 » by edney2polynice_ » Tue May 15, 2007 2:28 am

sunshinekids99 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ok so he knew he was putting something on his body, but had no clue as to what it was that he was doing. I'm sorry but I don't buy that crap at all. He knew what he was doing. A guy that has worked so hard on his body knows exactly what he's put in it or on it.

Also if he admitted to taking the clear or cream he admitted to taking roids. The guy is a cheat, there is just no way around it. And if you want to be naive enough to think Bonds was just an innocent guy that had no clue as to what was going on, then more power to you I guess.

Whether you buy it or not isn't the argument. I don't buy it either, I think he took them; I just don't really care -- cheating has been prevalent throughout baseball. Hank Aaron was taking greenies, along with many other old hall of famers.

He admitted to taking clear/cream which he thought was flaxseed oil/arthritis balm -- HE NEVER admitted to taking steroids.

Bonds is a jerk; a jerk who is one of baseballs best players EVER, with or without steroids. Schilling is as big a jerk as Bonds, he's just no where close to Bonds' prestige.

Return to The General MLB Board