[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

how do you guys feel about the team's name?

Moderator: LyricalRico

koolkobe
Freshman
And1: 0

how do you guys feel about the team's name? 

Post#1 » by koolkobe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:14 pm

hey, im a new member. from the nba section and im doing a report on Native Americans and the Stereotypes of Sport Mascots. and I wanted the reaction of the fans on this topic. Is the name of this team offensive? Or is it just a team name in honor of the tribes that used to settle here. What's your opinion, i would like to know. I hope i dont get flamed or anybody else get flamed. this topic is kind of touchy. DISCUSS :D
koolkobe
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: how do you guys feel about the team's name? 

Post#2 » by koolkobe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:40 pm

anybody??

you can even put that you dont care about the issue

i just wanna see what you think about it
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#3 » by mohammed10 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:09 am

koolkobe wrote:anybody??

you can even put that you dont care about the issue

i just wanna see what you think about it

Read the article on WaPo recently...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01747.html

Long history with the name, "Redskins". What do you propose as for the name of the franchise?
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#4 » by TNBT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:33 am

I know this is an old topic, but it reminded me of something I was reading on Wikipedia the other day, so I figured I would post it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins#Native_American_mascot_controversy

Some sections:

Some people consider the namesake and logo of the Washington Redskins insensitive towards Native Americans.[45] There have been movements by certain groups to change the name,[46] but the attempts have been unsuccessful. Others make the case in defense that the Redskins name is intended to honor the bravery and dignity of Native Americans and that, regardless of past usage, the word "redskins" today refers to the football team.

Notwithstanding the protests of activists, a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those Native Americans surveyed had no objection to the Redskins name.[47] The results of the poll have been criticized by Native American activists due to Sport's Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions).[48][49]

But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions.

There is more at the link that I posted, but that should give you a pretty good idea of how people generally feel. There will obviously always be some oversensitive people who want to find problems with things, but I think that as long as the name isn't used in a derogatory manner, it should be fine.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Having been a Redskins' fan since the days of Jurgenson at QB and Otto Graham as head coach....I like the name.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#6 » by Scabs304 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:44 pm

I like the name and have the isignia tattooed on my body. the amount of people it "offends" is alot smaller portion than changing the name would "offend".
I am Scabs.
Terpman
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Terpman » Sun Jul 3, 2011 8:26 pm

Changing our team name would be offensive to me personally, and I would have to sue Dan Snyder for the emotional trauma. 8-)
We are the Washington BULLETS!
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#8 » by W. Unseld » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:23 pm

I've got two different tribes in my past on my father's side and it has never bothered me. If you look at the old helmet you can tell they are going for proud warrior and it's the perfect foil to the Cowboys.

Return to Washington Football Team