[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Next up to bat...Beck...

Moderator: LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Next up to bat...Beck... 

Post#1 » by hands11 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:38 am

I think this would be the right move.

They are rebuilding for one and Rex is not a the long term answer.
Two... Beck is way more mobile and we just have our O line banged up so running will be needed.
Three... He isnt Rex. It wasnt the 4 ints last game. He has been playing poor for 3 games now.

I do feel sorry for Rex though. This was kind of it for him. He will be a back up and then out of the league. He is a person with a dream and watching that end for someone is nothing to celebrate. That said, I am looking forward to seeing what Beck can do.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Re: Next up to bat...Beck... 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Man, the schedule certainly got tough with Buffalo and San Fran playing so well. @Carolina, @Buffalo, San Fran, @Miami. We've got to win at least 2 of those games.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:13 pm

It's unfortunate that Beck's first start as a Skin is now going to feel more desperate than hopeful. The prospect of having an unknown starting the season was exciting IMO. Now, every incompletion or bad play is going to be magnified since the rest of the season now rests on how much better Beck is than Grossman.

That being said, I can't wait! :clap:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:56 pm

LyricalRico wrote:It's unfortunate that Beck's first start as a Skin is now going to feel more desperate than hopeful. The prospect of having an unknown starting the season was exciting IMO. Now, every incompletion or bad play is going to be magnified since the rest of the season now rests on how much better Beck is than Grossman.

When you think about it, most QB's get their first start because of either incompetence of the former starter or injury to the former starter. And when you think more about it - don't expect the team to be any better with Beck. Remember, he couldn't even beat out Grossman, the Skins got him for basically nothing - so nobody else wanted him, and he's effectively a 30 year old rookie. The chances of Beck being a good QB of the future are... eh... somewhat slim. But we can hope. He has decent physical tools and doesn't seem to lack at all in confidence.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 am

Ruz, I disagree with you man. I think Beck did beat Grossman out, but I think they went with Rex because of his familiarity with the system.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#6 » by verbal8 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

I think Beck may turn out to be a decent option as a back-up in the medium term. He is the best option at this point when Rex "The Walking Turnover" Grossman is the alternative.

I think it would be a good idea to add a QB or two to the practice aquad. I wouldn't expect anything for this season, but it might not be bad to get someone a little experience with the system.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Ruz, I disagree with you man. I think Beck did beat Grossman out, but I think they went with Rex because of his familiarity with the system.

Whoa, I think if Beck showed ANYTHING AT ALL in preseason, he would have been the starter. Shannahan seemed to want him to succeed so badly, and Grossman came to camp out of shape. But Beck's decision-making in preseason was off the charts bad - making it virtually impossibe to let him play.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Ruz, I disagree with you man. I think Beck did beat Grossman out, but I think they went with Rex because of his familiarity with the system.

Whoa, I think if Beck showed ANYTHING AT ALL in preseason, he would have been the starter. Shannahan seemed to want him to succeed so badly, and Grossman came to camp out of shape. But Beck's decision-making in preseason was off the charts bad - making it virtually impossibe to let him play.

See the only thing I remember from preseason is that with Beck in there, it seemed like we scored every time, whether it was a field goal or a touchdown. Plus he can scramble, Grossman is just a statue and with Trent out, I'd be willing to bet Beck will have 40+ rushing yards this week.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#9 » by Icness » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 pm

When you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one.

My evaluation of Beck is that he does okay if you give him time and his receivers run perfect routes. Get him off autopilot and he is going to struggle. I was surprised with his velocity in the preseason, he had not shown that in MIA.

I would have gone back to Rex. He has had awful games in the past and he understands how to bounce back. Keep Beck as a relief pitcher, so to speak.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
rasta028
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#10 » by rasta028 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:28 pm

This team isn't going anywhere till we get a red zone WR and another good O-linemen, oh yeah and a REAL QB.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,220

Post#11 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:39 pm

When Beck was in there, saw a lot of dropped passes. Looks like the receiving corps just isn't in a rhythm with Beck. Hope they worked that out.

This is a Ravens kind of team that needs the QB to manage the game. They're good enough not to need the QB to bail them out. This is a team that needs to grind out an early lead primarily on the ground, hold on with defense and ball control. Throwing the ball away four times -- that's PRECISELY what this team doesn't need.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:38 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

See the only thing I remember from preseason is that with Beck in there, it seemed like we scored every time, whether it was a field goal or a touchdown. Plus he can scramble, Grossman is just a statue and with Trent out, I'd be willing to bet Beck will have 40+ rushing yards this week.

Beck played well in his first exhibition game. He played TERRIBLY after that.
hands11
Banned User

Post#13 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:14 am

LyricalRico wrote:It's unfortunate that Beck's first start as a Skin is now going to feel more desperate than hopeful. The prospect of having an unknown starting the season was exciting IMO. Now, every incompletion or bad play is going to be magnified since the rest of the season now rests on how much better Beck is than Grossman.

I hear what you are saying but he would have been under a microscope regardless.

This is the NFL. Until you are established, you don't get a break and even when you are, it only last so many games. Well unless you are a great prospect on a really crappy team that doesn't really plan on winning any games, then you may get a free year.
hands11
Banned User

Post#14 » by hands11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:23 am

Zonkerbl wrote:When Beck was in there, saw a lot of dropped passes. Looks like the receiving corps just isn't in a rhythm with Beck. Hope they worked that out.

This is a Ravens kind of team that needs the QB to manage the game. They're good enough not to need the QB to bail them out. This is a team that needs to grind out an early lead primarily on the ground, hold on with defense and ball control. Throwing the ball away four times -- that's PRECISELY what this team doesn't need.

It will all be up to his decision making and I think Beck will be more careful then Rex was.

I see this team similar to an old Skins team under Joe T.

If it isn't there, Beck will throw it into the bleachers.
He is nibble enough to run out of bounds or avoid a rush so he will do that.
In the red zone, he adds the threat to run, which we already saw. The expands the field.
They will roll him left and roll him right and they will blind sneak him into the end zone. This should really help efficiency down there.

I actually like Beck's chances to play a structured game with less risks. So if he can get the mental part down, he is Joe T with a better arm. Well, that is his potential at least and that is something to be excited about.

Rex was a poor mans Brett Favre with no scrambling ability. That isnt anything to get excited about.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 8, 2011 2:19 pm

It indeed has come down to Beck's decision-making. If there are any Beck apologists left, speak now. I need a good laugh.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#16 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 8, 2011 6:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:If there are any Beck apologists left, speak now. I need a good laugh.

I'll bite :D

I wonder if Beck is really pressing to get Mike/Kyle's approval. He looked competent in the Carolina game. Not great, but seemed like he was going to be better than Rex. If he played the same way against Buffalo and San Fran, we're not having this conversation IMO.

Then he proceeds to make an inordinate effort to go downfield in the Buffalo game, leading to holding the ball too long and taking sacks. Then he does the 180 degree opposite the very next week against SF and looks like the ghost of Mark Brunell. That does strike me as odd on some level.

Beck has seen the Shanahans bench a potential HOF QB because they were so fixated on the system being run a certain way. This is probably Beck's last chance in the NFL, so I can understand if he's bending over backwards to please the coaches who control his fate. They say "we want you to go deep", so he does - to a fault. Then they say "hey, you can't take all those sacks" and he becomes obsessed with the dump off.

Of course, that's still a knock on Beck cuz nobody wants a QB who overreacts to coaching to the detriment of his team. I'm just saying that if he could possibly settle down and not press so much, he could be okay.
hands11
Banned User

Post#17 » by hands11 » Wed Nov 9, 2011 2:44 pm

I think you pretty much nailed where we are Rico

I really don't know that I blame Beck much for this. It is what he should be doing given the situation.

There is certainly places to assign blame but a lot of this is simply a team rebuilding. The D was pretty established but were missing another pass rusher and they got it. The offense hasnt been right for years. It has been a mess so it is going to take some time to correct.

They got a new coaching staff, dumped Campbell, got ride of Portis finally and now they have lost there vets in Moss and Coley. The O Line has needed work for a while. Shanny decide to beef up the D first which wasn't a terrible idea. D keeps you in games even when the offense is struggling. Offense got some player but rookie WR rarely shine. Hulu looks like a good pick up but like most rookie RB, he lost the ball.

Then they start with Rex because he had NFL decision making experience and had been to a super bowl. Well Rex let them down so now they changed QBs in mid stream while the offense is turning over like a gymnast doing a triple dismount.

Now they have a new WR, RBs, OG, FB, QB, and TE. I would expect that to look bumpy.

One big problem in my mind would be, why were they looking to go long two weeks ago when they didnt even have T Williams at Left tackle. That is coaching. But they actually adjusted the next week to what I recommended with Hulu starting and dumping it short. That was the right next move. Now we have to see if Hulu can adjust quickly and settle in. While Trent grow up. Will Fred Davis make improvements and close his routes harder. Will Hurt get in sync with the O line so then can run more. While Hickerson produce so they can establish the pass and get Armstrong involved again.

Just playing who they have, they can get a lot better. So many of them are so new. Every game they play provides a huge learning experience. I think they hit rock bottom. They did establish something last week. That was the short pass. Now they need to work in the run more. Then they can start stretching the field.

Hey, short passing and a strong running game with a strong D won the old Skins plenty. But you can turn the ball over on offense to win that way. Had Hulu not fumbled to end the first half, they would have been in that game longer and after the week before, that was what I was looking for. You build on that.

Return to Washington Football Team