Official Fire Yost thread.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#61 » by bigkurty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:37 am

neverstoppers23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

There was a DH.

So, why not try some guys who haven't had a chance against him yet.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#62 » by Andrew34r » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:37 am

If we slip to 3rd or worse 4th place there is a chance that Yost may be fired but until than a coach of a 1st place team wont get fired no matter how many braindead decisions he may make.
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#63 » by livestrong4ever » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 am

bigkurty wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So, why not try some guys who haven't had a chance against him yet.

Don't you think a guy who has seen him before would have a better chance?

Instead of brining in a rookie in braun off the bench trying to break up a no hitter.
bigkurty
General Manager

Post#64 » by bigkurty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:43 am

The Marlins Coach Gerardi won coach of the year last year didn't he? He was fired. I realize it won't happen but any smart baseball fan who has been watching this team knows Yost is making a lot of bad decisions lately and he must be held accountable eventually.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,444

Post#65 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 am

Instead of brining in a rookie in braun off the bench trying to break up a no hitter.

Yeah it was pretty obvious with the offensive output tonight that they had a better chance.

He's also a second year player in a different league so only one or two of our players have faced him (one being Mench) and he didn't play tonight.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#66 » by livestrong4ever » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 am

bigkurty wrote:The Marlins Coach Gerardi won coach of the year last year didn't he? He was fired. I realize it won't happen but any smart baseball fan who has been watching this team knows Yost is making a lot of bad decisions lately and he must be held accountable eventually.

Well him and the owner kinda hated each other.
bigkurty
General Manager

Post#67 » by bigkurty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:45 am

In Braun I Trust

at least I trust him about 5679 times more than Crapanounsell
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#68 » by Andrew34r » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:46 am

bigkurty wrote:The Marlins Coach Gerardi won coach of the year last year didn't he? He was fired. I realize it won't happen but any smart baseball fan who has been watching this team knows Yost is making a lot of bad decisions lately and he must be held accountable eventually.

Yes but im talking about middle of the season. At the end of the year anything could happen. But yes Yost needs to stop running the team like a little league team where everybody gets a chance to play. They all are getting paid so it should be the guys that are performing that get playing time against a righty or a lefty I really dont give a s*it.
bigkurty
General Manager

Post#69 » by bigkurty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:50 am

Andrew34r wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
They all are getting paid so it should be the guys that are performing that get playing time against a righty or a lefty I really dont give a s*it.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
I totally agree with this which makes me wonder how the hell Gwynn never gets any PT lately.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,181

Post#70 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:06 am

Just because there is a DH doesn't mean pinch hitters are forbidden.

Verlander was fantastic tonight. But it seems as if Yost waved the white flag before the game started.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,761

Post#71 » by msiris » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:13 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Just because there is a DH doesn't mean pinch hitters are forbidden.

Verlander was fantastic tonight. But it seems as if Yost waved the white flag before the game started.
:nod: Not the best possible lineup if you ask me.
Ride the tank
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,405

Post#72 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:56 am

I wanted to start a vanity thread with this point, but I'll put it here....

The last time the Brewers won their division, the manager was fired IN SEASON. Somebody should do a study of how many teams made the playoffs with their manager fired in season....I bet there are more than many think.

Do I think a baseball manager can do much without talent? No. But when you reach a situation like this, a major psychological changeup can help pull you out of it.

We know Yost isn't Jim Leyland. So we aren't losing a HOF manager in replacing him right now.

Give him one more week to right the ship and stop the bleeding......if it doesn't, fire him.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#73 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:49 am

paulpressey25 wrote:I wanted to start a vanity thread with this point, but I'll put it here....

The last time the Brewers won their division, the manager was fired IN SEASON. Somebody should do a study of how many teams made the playoffs with their manager fired in season....I bet there are more than many think.

Do I think a baseball manager can do much without talent? No. But when you reach a situation like this, a major psychological changeup can help pull you out of it.

We know Yost isn't Jim Leyland. So we aren't losing a HOF manager in replacing him right now.

Give him one more week to right the ship and stop the bleeding......if it doesn't, fire him.

Most recent example. Marlins fired Leyland I believe in 2003 and hired Jack McKeon, they ended up winning the World Series.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#74 » by whatthe_buck!? » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:04 pm

LMFAO. Just checked the board, and I couldn't be happier that this thread is finally getting some action. I don't know the right word to describe it (maybe some one can help me out with something better), but I would like to emphasize my ?extreme level of nonsurprise? that the very next game after I posted this:
On the other hand, being familiar with Ned, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'll open an entirely new avenue for criticism -unrelated to bullpen management- with some completely unexpected gaffe.

he was able to fight off his better judgment (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here) and start Counsell/Graffanino at the same time.

Now, the fact that this lineup (w/ counsellnino at the top) was the one that an opponent was able to no-hit, while again being ?extremely nonsurprising?, is really inconsequential. The real point is this: The Brewers recently began having a bit of a problem. The problem was lowered production from the one and two spots. Last night, Ned's solution to this problem was to leadoff Counsell and to bat Graffanino second. This solution was implemented in a game against last years AL champs, who also just happened to be starting a Cy Young candidate. Forget about the no-hitter, do you still believe that this man is not an idiot?

I have read the threads on this board where posters have suggested what the perfect lineup for this team should be. I have liked some, disagreed with some others, but not once did I see someone suggest that our best starting nine included Counsell and Graffy at the same time, let alone batting them 1-2. The only time one of them is even placed in anyone's "best nine" is as half of a R/L hitting second-base platoon until Weeks returns from the DL, which is exactly how it should be. What I'm getting at should be obvious, and it is that something is wrong when the manager is susceptible to making decisions that even the fans know are ludicrous.

One last thing. It upsets me to know that our manager, in a league where a player holds a consecutive games streak of over 2,500, refuses to let a rookie hitting .317 with a .931 fielding % play everyday without giving him an occasional rest so a guy hitting less than .240 can get a chance.
bigkurty
General Manager

Post#75 » by bigkurty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Wicket mentioned Gerardi this morning as a candidate and I have to admit, I think getting him to replace Yost would be a major coup. I still am willing to give Yost two more weeks myself but thats it. A change has to be made if Yost can't turn this team around. This team is way too talented to be having this much trouble.

Do you guys have any other good candidates in mind to replace Yost?
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User

Post#76 » by whatthe_buck!? » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:16 pm

But everyone knows we lost this game because of a manager, it wasn't prince or hall or corey hart not having any hits. it was ned yost .

Sorry to say it neverstoppers, but I am getting fed up with your bullsh*t. You have made this same point multiple times, and all is does is show that you just don't get it. No one with any sense is putting all the blame for any one loss on the shoulders of any one manager. Ned Yost, if he were to be fired, wouldn't be getting canned for causing a particular loss or losing streak. The only solid reason to have for firing any manager, in my opinion, is that he is exhibiting less-than-optimal decision making ability.

Previously on this thread, the example of Grady Little's management of game seven of the 2003 ALCS was verified by Bleeding Green as an example of a bad decision made by a "terrible" manager, but I don't think even he would say that Grady's decision alone was the only reason the Red Sox lost that game. If the Red Sox had a few more hits, if the opposing pitcher had given up a few more walks, or if Pedro had struck out the side in the last inning he pitched, any or all of those things could easily have changed the outcome of the game. Even if Pedro had been relieved before the inning started it is nowhere near a guarantee that Red Sox would have gone on to win the game. None of these truths change the fact that it probably was a bad decision by Grady to send Pedro out there for another inning when it seemed to most that he was spent, and that is exactly what it seems like you (neverstoppers) are ignoring; that the criticism of a manager comes not because of the loss of a game, but because of the adverse effect the manager's decisions have on his team's ability to win the game.

It is the managers job to play the percentages. If he shows an inability to do so to a degree that it can be said that many or most of his colleagues would have chosen differently, whether the team is winning or not, I believe that that manager should have his tenure called into question.
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User

Post#77 » by whatthe_buck!? » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:50 pm

bigkurty, Girardi sounds excellent to me (although I will admit to not knowing anything about him as a manager other than the fact that he was fired the same season that he won manager of the year- lol). He took himself out of the running for the Nationals job (can you blame him?) after the Cubs passed on him for Sweet Lou, but the Brewers have a very different -read: much better- future outlook than the Nationals and might be able to nab an up and comer like Mr. Girardi.

One warning I must give to those who have dancing in their head dreams of skipper Joe at the helm (myself included) is this: be careful what you wish for, because if we are able to snag Girardi everyone must be prepared to watch Jenkins, like the biblical Sampson, return to human status when he is forced to shave the civil-war era moustashe/goatee (not sure how else to describe it). I don't know if I'm going to be able to live my life without seeing Jenks' facial hair on a daily basis, not to even mention Graffy's stash. :lol:
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User

Post#78 » by whatthe_buck!? » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:11 pm

Triple post (zing!), man I must be feelin' good today. Seriously though, what better way to burn the Cubs than by hiring the manager they passed over, and then to have that manager lead us to the division title over the Cubs' lifeless carcass? especially considering the fact that we have less than 2/3 the payroll of the Cubs, and the fact that we would probably pay Joe less than they are paying Lou?

Alright, I'll settle down, it's just that it is pretty exciting to consider the possibilities :D
trwi7
RealGM

Post#79 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:39 pm

I don't think there's any way we get Girardi. He's working for the YES Network right now. Probably waiting for Torre to leave so he can manage the Yankees.

whatthe_buck!?
Banned User

Post#80 » by whatthe_buck!? » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:56 pm

I don't think there's any way we get Girardi. He's working for the YES Network right now. Probably waiting for Torre to leave so he can manage the Yankees.

Excuse me, Mr. Negative Nancy, but these are the Attanasio/Melvin Brewers, not to be confused with the Selig-Prieb/Taylor Brewers. And don't forget the (admittedly assumed) fact that he wanted the Cubs job (meaning he is not totally against taking a job in the midwest), and the fact that if you had to name a young, high potential roster that a selective manager would desire to coach, the Brewers would be on the short list. Even if he plans on replacing Torre at some point, I don't see why he would be adverse to taking a managerial job in the interim. I guess I would prefer to think we would have a decent chance. :pray:

But you're right, we are getting ahead of ourselves here. First things first, we must get rid of Yost and then we can have the debate about his replacement.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers