ImageImageImageImageImage

Minnesota at Toronto Series Thread (Jays Sweep Twins 3-0)

Moderator: JaysRule15

Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#21 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:13 pm

Holmes wrote:This is only going to make J.P. into a buyer and not a seller.

Why? Ricciardi has made exactly one significant deadline move in his entire tenure (Stewart for Kielty in 2003). The Jays were hovering around 10 games over .500 around July of last year, and the only move they made was Hillenbrand for Accardo (which JP was forced to do). Ricciardi's other near deadline moves include Raul Mondesi for Scott Wiggins, Terry Adams for John Hattig, and John McDonald for cash.

Nothing will happen at the deadline. We might see a guy like Towers moved, but there won't be anything significant in either direction (buying or selling).
Rare
Analyst
And1: 593

Post#22 » by Rare » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:07 pm

Added a summary to the OP, great win today was watching it on Sopcast; as it wasn't on TV.

We have 9 straight games against teams under .500, I think we can get most of those games like 7 of 9 or so and that would help us a lot.
    o
☻/
/▌
/ \
jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Post#23 » by jalenrose#5 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:03 am

Just to add, I heard we have the best home record in the majors since May 11.

We are 24-11.....now if only the Jays can learn to win on the road.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#24 » by TR50 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:47 am

Well reagrding JP as a buyer, i would kinda hope so...and btw, was the game broadcasted on local TO TV?

btw what was this, our 2nd sweep in the year?
Rare
Analyst
And1: 593

Post#25 » by Rare » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:51 am

It wasn't on Toronto TV, it was only accessible on MLB.TV or Sopcast

This was our 3rd sweep, the others coming against Baltimore in May and Colorado in June... and we also won both games against the Bosox in April in the mini 2 game set, but i duno if you count that a sweep, lol
    o
☻/
/▌
/ \
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,069

Post#26 » by Raptor_Guy » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:07 am

I was at the game, there was a pretty big crowd cuz all the kids there, about 38k there, nice atmosphere. Now the Jays just need to seperate themselves from the .500 mark.
Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#27 » by Holmes » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
Why? Ricciardi has made exactly one significant deadline move in his entire tenure (Stewart for Kielty in 2003). The Jays were hovering around 10 games over .500 around July of last year, and the only move they made was Hillenbrand for Accardo (which JP was forced to do). Ricciardi's other near deadline moves include Raul Mondesi for Scott Wiggins, Terry Adams for John Hattig, and John McDonald for cash.

Nothing will happen at the deadline. We might see a guy like Towers moved, but there won't be anything significant in either direction (buying or selling).

The team has been hovering below and at .500 for a while now. We have a nice hot streak now but we lost 4 out of 5 before our 5 game winning streak. This is pretty much the story of the season. We treadmill at .500 and something has got to give. Instead of fielding prospect offers for Troy Glaus, J.P. could be looking for additional help for the offense that has been nothing short of inconsistent this year. There has to be added pressure on J.P.. I still believe that both McGowan and Marcum single-handedly saved J.P. and Gibbons job at the moment.

Your right that J.P. has never really made a big splash at the deadline. But its the 2007 trade deadline. We've been average for 4 months now. A solid winning streak can renew thoughts about achieving a better record than last year which I think J.P. desperately needs in order to show he didn't flop the past offseason. We play NY and Boston a combined 16 times the rest of the way. Instead of injecting a couple of much needed prospects into the system we could be doing the opposite.

It can be very likely that J.P. does nothing. But at the very least the mindset of J.P. at the deadline could be altered by a winning streak.
stro4swift
Starter
And1: 0

Post#28 » by stro4swift » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:13 pm

Holmes wrote:I still believe that both McGowan and Marcum single-handedly saved J.P. and Gibbons job at the moment.

QFT
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,923

Post#29 » by Michael Bradley » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:01 pm

Holmes wrote:-= original quote snipped =-The team has been hovering below and at .500 for a while now. We have a nice hot streak now but we lost 4 out of 5 before our 5 game winning streak. This is pretty much the story of the season. We treadmill at .500 and something has got to give. Instead of fielding prospect offers for Troy Glaus, J.P. could be looking for additional help for the offense that has been nothing short of inconsistent this year. There has to be added pressure on J.P.. I still believe that both McGowan and Marcum single-handedly saved J.P. and Gibbons job at the moment.

Your right that J.P. has never really made a big splash at the deadline. But its the 2007 trade deadline. We've been average for 4 months now. A solid winning streak can renew thoughts about achieving a better record than last year which I think J.P. desperately needs in order to show he didn't flop the past offseason. We play NY and Boston a combined 16 times the rest of the way. Instead of injecting a couple of much needed prospects into the system we could be doing the opposite.

It can be very likely that J.P. does nothing. But at the very least the mindset of J.P. at the deadline could be altered by a winning streak.

I don't think the winning streak has done anything. Ricciardi has been pretty adament that he feels this current roster is good enough and that he's prepared to go with the same group next year. Everyone, with the exception of Stairs and Clayton, is signed or within the team's control for next season too. Last season he had five free agents (Cat, Molina, Shea, Lilly, Speier), and only traded one of them because he was forced to (Shea). Given his non-existant trade deadline history, and his need to finish +.500 to save his job, I think it's clear this deadline will come and go with the team at status quo. We might see a minor trade (Towers for example), but that's it.

Realistically, this team is a short-stop, a LH bat, and a league average 200 inning starter away from being a legitimate 90-95 win calibre team. It's much more likely/feasible to fill those holes in the off-season. So I don't expect "buying" this week, nor did I ever expect selling.

You're right in that the development of McGowan and Marcum saved Ricciardi's job, but at the same time, it has made the team a lot more attractive for 2008. I think that's the way Ricciardi is looking at it. Fact is, if this team ever does a firesale, it will be after Ricciardi is canned.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#30 » by OldNo7 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:33 pm

Absolutely - Riccardi would never firesale what he put together.
Twitter: @NickObergan
arrpy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5

Post#31 » by arrpy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:27 am

What a great series... :D
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#32 » by Geddy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:00 am