[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Hail To The Redskins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Re: Hail To The Redskins 

Post#1341 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:24 am

I'll make you a friendly wager Raf that the Skins will get rid of the next kicker within 3 games. Next season they'll start off with another kicking competition. Then, theylll have kicking problems next season.

Suisham's been the kicker for a couple or three seasons. He's not the reason this team chokes week after week, even though he's had two or three bad games.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,183

Post#1342 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:26 am

VictorPage44 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Skins cut Suisham. Dude missed three FGs all year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Suisham made his first 13 field goal attempts this season, but he had vital misses from 39 and 50 yards in the 7-6 loss to Dallas three games ago and was wide right Sunday on a 23-yarder that would have sealed a victory over the unbeaten Saints. New Orleans rallied to win 33-30 in overtime.

Suisham made 18 of 21 attempts this season and 81 of 101 since joining the Redskins in 2006. His 80.2 percent success rate is the best career mark for any Redskins kicker with more than a half-dozen attempts.

We’ve let a good kicker go down the road,” coach Jim Zorn said on his weekly radio show on ESPN980. “Shaun has performed very well. I know he’ll just be upset. He should be, but yet there’s an accountability there. We’ll all end up being accountable for our season, no question about it.”

Snyder is a dumb son of a gun. I know I said fire the kicker in the game thread. Suisham lost the game for sure against New Orleans. The miss against a hated rival Dallas was big.

That said, the Skins will surely go out and sign a worse kicker.

Snyder is a dumbass.

Cut him? Of course. This is what happens in the NFL. Kickers are not treated like the other players. He is lucky they don't get to shoot him.
yahoo comment 169, by homer

yet two of the three were absolute choke jobs, on chip shots. 12 of his 18 made field goals are from 35 yards or less. then he has 38, 40, 42, 45, 47, 48 yarders. So he's only made three long field goals all year and has cost the team almost as many games (2).

He choked against New Orleans but I believe the high snap did throw him off.
Bye bye Beal.
VictorPage44
Senior
And1: 1

Post#1343 » by VictorPage44 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:23 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'll make you a friendly wager Raf that the Skins will get rid of the next kicker within 3 games. Next season they'll start off with another kicking competition. Then, theylll have kicking problems next season.

Suisham's been the kicker for a couple or three seasons. He's not the reason this team chokes week after week, even though he's had two or three bad games.

suisham may have been here last year, but i believe he missed the most FGA in the league last season (please correct me if im wrong). As someone who was disgusted by the team's performance for the first 9-10 weeks of the season, i agree that they have much bigger issues than kicker, but suisham is definitely part of the reason the team choked. they'd have won the cowboys game and the saints game if he made field goals inside 30 yards. I dont think that'll be too difficult to replace by next year. A good punter or kicker is always available over the offseason, just look at hunter smith.
mzaretsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Post#1344 » by mzaretsk » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:35 pm

i agree with the policy of releasing mediocre performers who have cost us games.

when will we stop making excuses and realize the lack of offensive talent on this team? how many of our players would start for other nfceast teams? just sayin
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#1345 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Typical Dan Snyder as Napoleon move. Gets angry, feels he needs to do something, picks on the little guy.

Now, I have no sense that Suisham is a long-term answer at kicker and I believe that late-game chokes become self-fulfilling... however, this season is over, OVER. No reason to treat a person like sh@t just to make yourself feel less impotent.
In Rizzo we trust
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#1346 » by WizStorm » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:18 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Typical Dan Snyder as Napoleon move. Gets angry, feels he needs to do something, picks on the little guy.

Now, I have no sense that Suisham is a long-term answer at kicker and I believe that late-game chokes become self-fulfilling... however, this season is over, OVER. No reason to treat a person like sh@t just to make yourself feel less impotent.
Certainly not defending Danny Boy here, but why not treat these last games as an audition for next year? Season is over (and has been over for quite a while), why not clear out the guys that won't be here next year and bring in someone that actually has a chance to prove himself on the field. Suisham has been garbage in years past and his horrible mental lapses the past few weeks has already punched his card out of town. Hell, it's not like the 'skins are treating Gano as a temporary replacement just to get Suisham off the roster ... they signed the dude to a 3 year deal already. He's got a good leg and good pedigree from college.
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#1347 » by wermolwermol777 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:54 am

I've been on Suishams corner up until very recently - but the games against Dallas and NO really pissed me off. I do hope he manages to find another job in the NFL and sticks around in the league - but I am relieved he is off the team.

And I agree with WizStorm - it is likely he wouldn't have been here next year anyway so why not give a look and NFL experience to the new guy so he'll be less likely to choke come next season.

I think Suisham was on a very short leash because of his performance (or lack thereof) last season. And up until the Dallas game he'd been perfect. That one bad game didn't cost him a job but the 2nd one in 3 games did. I think it would have been the same had the games been 1st and 3rd in the season.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,651

Post#1348 » by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:18 am

kickers rarely make comebacks. cite: vanderjagt.
Bullets -> Wizards
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1349 » by Halcyon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:02 am

For some reason people forget how he choked in the playoffs in Seattle in 2006 by missing a 30 yard chip shot, and how much he stunk last year as a kicker. This year most of his FGs (as cited above) were chip shots in low pressure situations...I just hope this new kicker pans out.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#1350 » by W. Unseld » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Back 2 QB b/c I think it's more important we are kind of glossing over that the damage Campbell did came against a secondary with 3 guys out (or was it 4?). I've been a Campbell supporter but I stand by that his downside is below average and his upside his above average to low good. The numbers he put up against NO were akin to a preseason game since he was playing the bottom of the barrel secondary. With that said let's discuss the line.

The O-line: They seem to be playing much better against NO it was the secondary that were a bunch of scrubs not the front 7 and Williams love to blitz yet the O-line held up. What do you do in the offseason here? How much of the O-line is continutiy how much of it is talent? Or could it be....

Portis/RBs: I'm 90% sure we are stuck w/him next year unless it's an uncapped year. EVERYONE who has run behind this line seems to be running better than Portis did, probably b/c they are actually following their blockers. Betts is done, I'm not sure if Portis is back and I'm not sure if they really need to burn a 1st or 2nd round pick here and they don't need a big name free agent but thanks to rbbc's there should be a number of medium priced free agents available but I'd prefer to take a flier w/a 3rd or 4th round pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1351 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:16 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Back 2 QB b/c I think it's more important we are kind of glossing over that the damage Campbell did came against a secondary with 3 guys out (or was it 4?). I've been a Campbell supporter but I stand by that his downside is below average and his upside his above average to low good. The numbers he put up against NO were akin to a preseason game since he was playing the bottom of the barrel secondary. With that said let's discuss the line.

The O-line: They seem to be playing much better against NO it was the secondary that were a bunch of scrubs not the front 7 and Williams love to blitz yet the O-line held up. What do you do in the offseason here? How much of the O-line is continutiy how much of it is talent? Or could it be....

Portis/RBs: I'm 90% sure we are stuck w/him next year unless it's an uncapped year. EVERYONE who has run behind this line seems to be running better than Portis did, probably b/c they are actually following their blockers. Betts is done, I'm not sure if Portis is back and I'm not sure if they really need to burn a 1st or 2nd round pick here and they don't need a big name free agent but thanks to rbbc's there should be a number of medium priced free agents available but I'd prefer to take a flier w/a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I'm conflicted all around. On one hand, Campbell has improved. He now does actually put some touch and air on the long passes - instead of throwing line drives that had to be perfect and never were. He sees the field better. He makes decisions quicker. But, he still never comes through in the 2 minute drill, and he's still slower than average in getting rid of the ball - with average touch and decision-making abilities. He's a decent QB. Thing is - I think there will be a demand for him in free agency, and he will command a MUCH higher salary than makes sense. But what other alternatives will there be? I certainly don't want to go with a rookie, and the Hawaii kid hasn't proven anything and is coming off of hip surgery. So, I think what heappens is they give Campbell what's going to look like an outrageous contract.

On Suisham, it's outragous to blame him for the NO and Dallas losses when there were other players who contributed more to those losses. He shouldn't be THE one scapegoat. The guy's missed only 3 kicks all year. But... that's the nature of being a kicker, and there was always going to be the perception here that he chokes in the clutch, so... it is better for the team to look elsewhere - and you can always find a kicker. I feel bad for him, but that's life as a kicker. But I will say that the way the Skins have publically blamed him is shameful. Fine - cut him, but you don't need to add humiliation. They're trying to show there's accountability, but what it really shows is there's a lack of character in the Skins' management - including Zorn.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#1352 » by LyricalRico » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:But I will say that the way the Skins have publically blamed him is shameful. Fine - cut him, but you don't need to add humiliation. They're trying to show there's accountability, but what it really shows is there's a lack of character in the Skins' management - including Zorn.

Agreed. If they really were all about "accountability" a whole lot more guys would have been cut by now.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#1353 » by Scabs304 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Skins have made me cry 3 times this year. Enough said.
I am Scabs.
wermolwermol777
Rookie

Post#1354 » by wermolwermol777 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:13 pm

Not that I have ever paid particular attention to kickers celebrating - but for some reason it was awesome to see a kicker that excited for getting one through (even if that "one" is his first ever in NFL)
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1355 » by keynote » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:34 pm

These refs are taking over the game.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
wermolwermol777
Rookie

Post#1356 » by wermolwermol777 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:19 am

Orakpo with 4 sacks :)

And how the F did Carter not score there...

AND WHY THE F Does ARE still get a chance to return punts - this is laughable already can't remember a single punt return where he had any sort of positive impact on a return. Horrible decisions to let it bounce, fair catch after fair catch and then just a blooper reel.

But really - we've scored at least 24 points in 4 of our last 5 games - and hadn't scored as many in any game up until the Denver game. And as they mentioned in the broadcast - first back-to-back 30 point series since early 2006.

Makes the games a whole lot more fun to watch and I can't help but feel stronger and stronger about wanting to keep Campbell another year.

Also I am so glad I picked up Davis for one of my fantasy teams midway through the season - 17 points from a TE is the highest I've got from that position the whole season.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1357 » by keynote » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:07 am

Yeah, I picked up Davis as well (picked him up for Cooley). He's been great; he's keeping me alive this week (I need a win to make it into the playoffs).
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#1358 » by WizStorm » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Solid victory all around against the Raiders. I'm cautiously optimistic that the next couple of national TV games (Giants Monday Night & 'boys following Sun Night) will be watchable affairs. Would really like to see a couple more games that come down to the final minutes at the end of this season to help aide in deciding which direction to go next season.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#1359 » by Rafael122 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:34 pm

If we had taken care of business the last few weeks, we'd be at 8-5 right now. But we're 4-9 and our coach will most likely not be here next year. That's the way the business works I guess.

I still think we should keep JC for another year. Keep the system, change the coaching staff.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#1360 » by MF23 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:29 pm

Keep Gano, kid has a good leg and history.

Also, it's interesting to see this team play better without their stars.
Et tu Bilas.
MD

Return to Washington Football Team