[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2011 Offseason Thread (Training Camp, Signings, etc...)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2011 Offseason Thread (Training Camp, Signings, etc...) 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:27 pm

There's an absolutely fascinating article by Jason Reid in yesterday's Washington Post on Beck. The Shanny's seem to be virtually betting their reputations on him.
By now, it’s widely known Mike and Kyle were enamored of Beck during his college days at Brigham Young University. They continued to admire him from afar throughout his first three nondescript NFL seasons, during which he played in only five regular season games — none since 2007.

At Mike’s insistence, Washington traded for Beck before last season and rewarded him with a contract extension. The Shanahans’ plan was in motion before Beck’s nameplate was dry on his Redskins Park dressing stall.

What’s not common knowledge is that Mike and Kyle and their coaching underlings regularly praise Beck in the team’s Ashburn training complex. That Beck quickly grasped the offense and usually shines in film review. And that Beck has done much in a short period of time to impress Mike, who doesn’t impress easily.

Fact is, the Shanahans see something special in Beck. To them, he’s not simply the best option. They believe he’s someone who could lead a perennial winner.

Mike and Kyle don’t care if Beck is viewed less favorably throughout the rest of the NFL. They’re confident they know what they have.

As Rico alluded to, probably the best thing that's happened is that Beck got injured and Grossman had a great showing. But Beck will probably start the next game. I'll be tuning in to follow the QB drama as much as to follow the progress of the young Skins. Btw, I find it amazing that Beck is only a year younger than Grossman. Beck is little more than a 30 year old rookie QB. I would be amazed if he justifies the Shannys' confidence in him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#22 » by Rafael122 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Beck wouldn't be so bad as a back up but as a starter over 16 games? Ehhh. I'm not willing to bet the farm that Beck is the long term solution.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#23 » by Scabs304 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:13 pm

I want to see what Beck can do. He was a high draft pick who got thrown into service way to early in his career and hasn't had a chance since.

I loved the Hightower trade and I'm loving it even more. He brings everything except a non existant fumble rate. I much rather have a RB that has the tools just a little concentration issue that can be corrected through drills and coaching.

I'm still not sure about are WR, but having Hightower as your back and Cooley and Davis at TE not as much of a need there.
I am Scabs.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Meh, he was 26 years old as a rookie 2nd rounder. If you're saying that starting 4 games as a rookie messed up his development, I'll have to disagree. They actually have excellent competition for the WR roster spots. This is how I see it:

1. Moss - no explanation needed.
2. Jabar Gaffney - will probably start. He had over 60 catches last year for Denver and looks good.
3. Anderson - best deep threat on the team.
4. Stallworth - probably the 4th best WR on the team, but the team shouldn't be adding 2 30 year old WR's (Gaffney being the other). I think they signed him as insurance - if all the young guys looked bad.
5. Leonard Hankerson - good size - very long arms and hands, but drops routine catches. The team is not in position to cut their 3rd round pick, so he's going to make the team.
6. Niles Paul - their 5th round pick from Nebraska - has looked better than Hankerson, big but not as long, great size/speed combo but under-achieved in college, might be tried as kick returner next week.
7. Terrence Austin - 2nd year guy who's small but quick and runs excellent routes and looks solid as kick returner.
8. Brandon Banks - the miniature kick returner who can play occasionally at WR to go deep.
9. Aldrick Robinson - their 6th round pick, played well in camp but probably lost his shot to make the team with fumbles on kick returns v Pittsburg. Small quick guy who could turn out to be Moss type but will probably be on the practice squad.
10. Malcolm Kelly - former high 2nd round pick who always has injuries. I can't see them keeping him, as he continues to not be healthy.

They probably keep 6 of them. Moss, Gaffney, and Anderson are definites. I don't think Stallworth is, because I think they want to keep 3 of the young guys. Don't assume Banks is a lock to make the team - he's got to show he's healthy. And if Austin or Paul look good returning punts, that hurts Banks' chances.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#25 » by Scabs304 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:55 pm

You mean Armstrong right? I don't see Robinson making the team and I also don't see Stallworth making the team although I think he truly is the best deep threat we have even after losing a step. I believe are depth chart at WR will look like this

Moss
Gaffney
Armstrong
Paul
Hankerson
Banks

It really comes down to Austin, Banks and Robinson playing for that last spot and in the end the best returner in that bunch has an edge and that is hands down Banks. I believe Robinson has pretty much eliminated himself from anything beyond Practice Squad this season after the pittsburgh debacle.

The real question is at RB how many do you keep?

I see it as

Hightower
Torrain
Royster
Helu

At this point in time. Leaving some good backs IMO on the outside looking in. Maybe we don't have standout talent at either of those positions, but I don't think I could ask for to much more depth of talent at either position.
I am Scabs.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:15 pm

Yeah, I meant Armstrong - sorry about that. On the WR's, I agree on your top 5. Banks makes it if he's healthy, but if his knee keeps swelling up like it's been doing, I think Austin gets that 6th spot. I think Austin's going to get a lot of PT in tomorrow's game. He doesn't have Banks' homerun ability, but he's more dependable.

On RB's, I think that last spot is a competition between Royster and Keiland Williams, and Williams has the edge because he can play either RB or FB and because he's got a year's experience. Royster's probably a little better player than Williams, but he doesn't do anything that really stands out that the other backs can't do. Helu's explosiveness makes him almost a lock to make the team - unless he fumbles and badly misses blocks in the remaining preseason games.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by Rafael122 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:20 pm

I think Moss/Gaffney/Armstrong/Stallworth are our top 4. After that it's probably Hankerson. I think Banks will still make the team because he can make plays.

Preseason game #2 tonight. No Peyton Manning, but John Beck is probably going to play into the 2nd quarter.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I think Moss/Gaffney/Armstrong/Stallworth are our top 4. After that it's probably Hankerson. I think Banks will still make the team because he can make plays.

Preseason game #2 tonight. No Peyton Manning, but John Beck is probably going to play into the 2nd quarter.

I don't see how they keep Stallworth - if they're serious about developing a young team. Austin has shown too much to cut. Hankerson is the 3rd round pick - so there's no way he goes anywhere. And Paul is a physical stud who's done everything right at WR and showed he can return punts. None of those guys would last on the practice squad. Stallworth is 30/31 years old and has basically done nothing the last 3 seasons. He also doesn't play special teams. I'm pretty sure they signed him strictly as insurance - in case the young guys failed in camp and preseason. That hasn't happened.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Rafael122 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Stallworth is one of those guys you keep on your team. Stead presence, can catch the ball. It beats having Father Time aka Joey Galloway out there as your 2nd or 3rd receiver.

Liked what I saw from Beck. Questioned the team not going for the deep ball but apparently it was strategic since Indy plays a Cover 2. I like the fact that the coaching staff are letting their starters play more than just a couple of snaps. Gives us a better sense of what the offense will look like. I reckon we're going to run teams into the ground this year.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:07 am

Rafael122 wrote:Stallworth is one of those guys you keep on your team. Stead presence, can catch the ball. It beats having Father Time aka Joey Galloway out there as your 2nd or 3rd receiver.

If being better than Galloway is the standard, we gots prolums. If the Skins didn't already acquire a better version of Stallworth - in Gaffney - I could see possibly keeping Stallworth. Since they did get Gaffney and 4 rookies on a team that should be committed to youth - it makes no sense to keep the lesser 30 year old mediocre veteran.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#31 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:47 am

I also think Stallworth is expendable (along with Brandon Banks because he's not 100% healthy and isn't much of a receiver). IMO there are 5 locks for the WR spot:

Moss
Gaffney
Armstrong
Hankerson (because he was a third round pick)
Austin (for special teams)

That leaves one spot left for either Stallworth or Niles Paul. Since the team is rebuilding, I'd go with the young guy. The good thing is that there seem to be more trades going on this offseason, so maybe we can get something for guys like Stallworth/Banks.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,440

Post#32 » by nuposse04 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 am

I need a new jersey for the season, I came across this:
http://www.nfljerseyauthentic.com/nfl-j ... -6037.html

seems like its a little too good to be true (although I've seen the same jersey in official redskins stores for 125, so it may not be a stretch)

anyone have any knowledge on websites like this?

Oh and the WR should be as follows: Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong, Hankerson, Niles, Autin(PR/KR) and send banks to the IR for the purposes of not letting another team have em.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Rafael122 » Thu Sep 1, 2011 12:11 pm

I mean, when it comes to jersey's, I always try and go to the official sites. As for last weeks game against the Ravens, I was impressed with Beck and Hightower, and even more impressed with Terrence Austin. I love watching this kid play.

Preseason finale is tonight against the Bucs. Should be interesting how much time Grossman and Beck get tonight.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#34 » by LyricalRico » Fri Sep 2, 2011 1:10 am

Rafael122 wrote:Preseason finale is tonight against the Bucs. Should be interesting how much time Grossman and Beck get tonight.

Grossman isn't playing and Beck isn't playing like a starter. I think Grossman starts against NYG, and then Shanny will wait for Rex's inevitable 3 pick game. Once that happens, he'll go to Beck for the rest of the season.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by Rafael122 » Sat Sep 3, 2011 3:36 pm

Cuts so far:

S Davonte Shannon
WR Aldrick Robinson
S Chris Horton
S Anderson Russell
OL Clint Oldenburg
LB/DE Thadeus Gibson
CB Reggie Jones
OL Maurice Hurt
LB HB Blades
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#36 » by Scabs304 » Sat Sep 3, 2011 9:25 pm

Horatio should of stuck with HB and he might of made the team. I think all the young linebackers playing so well in that final preseason game really cut him. I'm reallly interested in the WR, RB and CB cuts going forward. I remember when Horton was such a great story about a late pick that made it sucks that he regressed so much the last few years.
I am Scabs.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#37 » by Scabs304 » Sat Sep 3, 2011 10:29 pm

Clemens and Guieterez cut. Who is the 3rd QB then? Anyone know where you can find a complete cut list?
I am Scabs.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#38 » by Scabs304 » Sun Sep 4, 2011 4:06 pm

Will Royster make it through to the practice squad? 8 WR? How does that work. Amazed Niles Paul is still on the roster....
I am Scabs.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#39 » by LyricalRico » Mon Sep 5, 2011 12:46 am

^ Royster does make the practice squad (huge sigh of relief). I fully expect him to play this year since Torain is guaranteed to get hurt at some point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... _blog.html

As for the 8 WRs and 9 LBs, I think there will be some trades before opening day. Hopefully for depth on both lines and a stop-gap at safety until we're sure Landry can play.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#40 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Sep 6, 2011 7:38 am

Keiland Williams was picked up by the lions on waivers

Return to Washington Football Team