[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official Game Thread: Skins vs Giants

Moderator: LyricalRico

Who will win?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 am

Skins
86%
Giants
14%

Total votes: 7

pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Re: Official Game Thread: Skins vs Giants 

Post#21 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:57 am

I have to re-calibrate my perception of reality.

Redskins win, Cowboys lose. Who'd have thunk it.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,220

Post#22 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Yay racially-nicknamed local football team!
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#23 » by Scabs304 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Yay racially-nicknamed local football team!

Shut-up.
I am Scabs.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#24 » by Scabs304 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 am

Waiting for Lyrical to start the next thread..... GO Skins.
I am Scabs.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#25 » by Nivek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:16 pm

I just did a killjoy blog post. :) It was a convincing win, but the flaws revealed could be trouble down the road. The ones I identified:

- offensive line play was bad (both running and pass protection)

- Rex Grossman may not have been as good as his box score stats suggest (I'll do more on this later in the week) -- he was inaccurate on a number of throws, but the receivers made good catches (on the bright side, he did seem to get better as the game wore on)

- Graham Gano missed another kick. He's now 50% for his career from 30-39 yards (albeit just 8 kicks). League average since 2001 on kicks from that distance: 86%.

- The Giants ran the ball effectively in the first half.

- Reed Doughty
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#26 » by Rafael122 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:57 pm

Nivek wrote:I just did a killjoy blog post. :) It was a convincing win, but the flaws revealed could be trouble down the road. The ones I identified:

- offensive line play was bad (both running and pass protection)

- Rex Grossman may not have been as good as his box score stats suggest (I'll do more on this later in the week) -- he was inaccurate on a number of throws, but the receivers made good catches (on the bright side, he did seem to get better as the game wore on)

- Graham Gano missed another kick. He's now 50% for his career from 30-39 yards (albeit just 8 kicks). League average since 2001 on kicks from that distance: 86%.

- The Giants ran the ball effectively in the first half.

- Reed Doughty

The majority of the throws from Grossman were awfully high. I had flashbacks of Jason Campbell who would always think his receivers were 6'6''. Hankerson needs to be activated for games by the way, he will come in handy in the red zone.

I have no faith in Graham Gano. The kid plays well when his job is on the line.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm

- While I'm not a Grossman fan, he played one helluva game, and the criticisms in this thread are over-done. Every QB is going to have a couple bad passes - even on a good day. What really stood out were his tremendous passes in the red zone - 2 of the TD passes and one that led to another TD. And he had more drops than poor passes and great catches.
- Gotta give credit to Shanny for keeping Nield over Bryant.
- Even with all the rookies that looked so good, we have a few more that didn't play who will also contribute this season. The future looks bright.
- Trent Williams - just horrible. I give him the blame for Grossman's fumble - moreso than Grossman. He's standing way too upright - anyone could have gotten around him on some of the plays. If things don't change soon (and I think he will come around.), they should have the OT's switch sides and possibly bench Williams. Grossman is going to turn the ball over if he gets hit on the blind side.
- I think the offense knew it was just a matter of time before they score TD's on the Gintz - with all the injuries on the Gintz D.
- Having Davis lose 15 pounds was one of the Skins' best offseason moves. He's so much quicker and more explosive now. He should definitely play more than Cooley - who's decent but frankly has been considerably overrated over the years.
- AA dropped 2 or 3 balls he should have routinely caught. He showed he's the deep threat, but with the Skins' WR depth, he's going to go to the bench if he has more games like that.
- Aikman sounded more anti-Skins than I remember him being over the last few years. Maybe I was imagining that?
- As good as Ahmad Bradshaw is, I was glad to see how little they used Brandon Jacobs. Dude averaged 5.6 yards a carry last year and just wears down defenders.
- Not to be negative about Kerrigan - since I was pushing for the Skins to pick him in the first place - but the one thing I am concerned about him and Orakpo is them playing out in space. Neither of our OLBers can cover at all right now. Kerrigan couldn't even stay with the Gintz mammoth TE. NYG really should have kept Kevin Boss. It just means that the ILB's will have to cover TE's - not a major problem, but it limits the defense's versatility.
- Eli and Romo both didn't shine yesterday. Both need to step up if they are going to become elite level. I know Romo has the ability - I'm not sure Eli does.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Rafael122 wrote:The majority of the throws from Grossman were awfully high. I had flashbacks of Jason Campbell who would always think his receivers were 6'6''. Hankerson needs to be activated for games by the way, he will come in handy in the red zone.

Don't hold your breath on Mr. Hanky getting activated this season - much less contributing. Shanny made it very clear in his comments that he's last on the WR depth chart - and that he loves Niles Paul. Stallworth was deactivated along with Hanky - they are the bottom 2 - and we know that as long as Stallwiorth remains on the roster, he's ahead of Hanky.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Football Team