[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

If at 6 who should the Skins draft?

Moderator: LyricalRico

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#21 » by Higga » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:31 pm

If Laron Landry is the pick I'm going to pull my hair out. We need to invest in some young DL studs.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#22 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:06 am

Apparently, the Falcons are interested in moving up for 8 to 6 to grab LaRon Landry. It seems like come draft day, we will have plenty of options to trade down with. A lot of teams eyeing certain players like Quinn, Russell, Landr and Peterson who will most likely be available at #6 but have a chance to be taken by Minnisotta at #7.

We are in a great position to trade down. Having the Vikings behind is great.
Rod Strickland's Towel
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Rod Strickland's Towel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:38 pm

I hope the Skins pass on Landry. He's a good player no doubt, but I'm not convinced he's a good fit on this team. His coverage skills are somewhat overrated, as his strength is clearly in the hitting and run support department. Basically, I think he's too similar a player to Taylor. Sure we'd have too absolute hitting terrors back there, but we'd also have a fair share of blown coverages from freelancing for the big hit. And we would also have too much cap tied into our safeties, especially with Taylor needing to be extended soon.

I've been of the mind all along that we need to pick a D-lineman at all costs. I was initially on the Branch bandwagon, but the fact that the guy has just killed his draft stock so significantly in such a short period of time is troubling. If the guy is fat and unmotivated now, what will this guy be like when he gets paid? I'd avoid him at this point.

If I'm the Skins, I take Okoye at 6, or trade down for Anderson or Carriker. But I would be very careful not to trade down too far as to miss out on either of these two. And I'm definitely not in the "trade down at all costs" camp. I just can't understand the people in this camp. If we had a competent GM (or any GM, for that matter) I could see the point, but with the clowns that they have running the front office, adding to the degree of difficulty by picking significantly lower is a recipe for disaster.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#24 » by Scabs304 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm convinced if Adams isn't around and I had to use the pick I would go with Okoye at this point in time. Not saying that is value for the 6th pick but I believe he will probally be the best player available. If we use the pick on Landry I'll stab myself in the tat.
I am Scabs.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#25 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:36 am

Moochie25 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

even if its QB?

I like Branch... everything i've heard says he's been sliding down the draft charts, so I'd like to trade down and pick up some other picks and still draft Branch

I'd be a little disappointed if we picked Branch. Guys on the Wizards forum started talking him up late last season so I started watching Michigan games and focusing on him. I wasn't sold. I just don't know that he has the consistent motor to be a stud on the DL for the Skins. His use of leverage seems average at best and he gave up on a lot of plays.
In Rizzo we trust
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,829

Post#26 » by Rafael122 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:12 am

6 months ago, he would have been the perfect pick but he had a **** combine and pro day, not to mention there are rumors that he has stress fractures in both legs, he's overweight, and he does not have a good work ethic. At 6, no way I'm touching that guy.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#27 » by Higga » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:44 am

Looks like, for all intents and purposes, that Laron Landry will be the pick.

....****
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#28 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:17 am

The word I've heard on Landry is that he's a strong safety in the mold of Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins. That's great and all but don't we need a free safety so that Taylor doesn't get lost in coverage like last season?

I guess a lot would depend on the type of defense that the Skins run. Could two essentialy strong safeties co-exist in Gregg Williams' scheme?
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#29 » by Ed Wood » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:40 am

Certainly if any sort of strong safety could cover for Taylor it's one "like Ed Reed." And it's not like that was much of an issue when we threw all of that money at Archuleta last year, after which it became very abundantly clear that having two demi-linebackers at safety can be problematic.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#30 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Taylor is a great cover safety. Remmember his first two seasons? He was beastly. He struggled because GW kept running a Cover 2 and Cover 2 can't be ran without an elite pass rushing defensive line. All the succesful cover 2 teams in the past have had excellent edge rushers (Dwight Freeney, Colts, Simeon Rice Tampa and Alex Brown/Ogunleye for the Bears).

Either we get a pass rushing DE (Anthony Spencer, Gaines Adams, Jarvis Moss) to compliment Carter so we can run a Cover 2 or we can go back to the 2004-05 defense and get a big strong DE (Anderson, Carriker, Johnson, McDonald) or a space eating DT (Okoye, Harrell, Branch).

Return to Washington Football Team