[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official Offseason Thread (was likwitdesi's Offseason Plan)

Moderator: LyricalRico

likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#21 » by likwitdesi » Tue Jan 1, 2008 6:34 am

Raf,

By the way, I am now with you on trading out of the first round. Harvey is going to be gone by then and we should now look to land an early 2nd and pick up another Day 1 pick. Use the early 2nd on Crable, use our own 2nd on whoever is left of Langford, LoJack, and Blake. Use the two third rounders on a DT and a nickel safety (Prioleau's role). This draft is really deep at corner and a good CB will be there in the 3rd round.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#22 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jan 1, 2008 5:00 pm

I wonder if the team will try to train HB Blades as an outside backer this year. Mistake in my mind because he has the potential to take over London Fletcher when Fletch stats to slow down (wonder when that will happen, London is the most fresh 30+ player I've ever seen).

I'm not a fan of draftin wide recievers but I have my eye on Limas Sweed. He could slip to the 2nd round and he plays with a lot of fire and he has Plaxico Burress type leaping ability. An endzone target other than Cooley and Sellers is needed.

I wonder if we can work a deal like the Cowboys did with the Browns. Drop down to the 2nd round and pick up a first rounder for the next year in hopes for the team sucking. Ofcourse the Browns had a great season but the 49ers trade worked out for the Patriots. I say we try the same if one of the QB's or offensive tackles drop.

I don't really see a need for an impact player on our team. We need depth on the lines and in the secondary. I have a feeling we will be adressing linebacker in free agency.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,834

Post#23 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 5:26 pm

I agree, we don't have a *need* but we have depth issues across the board.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#24 » by likwitdesi » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:18 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:I wonder if the team will try to train HB Blades as an outside backer this year. Mistake in my mind because he has the potential to take over London Fletcher when Fletch stats to slow down (wonder when that will happen, London is the most fresh 30+ player I've ever seen).

I'm not a fan of draftin wide recievers but I have my eye on Limas Sweed. He could slip to the 2nd round and he plays with a lot of fire and he has Plaxico Burress type leaping ability. An endzone target other than Cooley and Sellers is needed.

I wonder if we can work a deal like the Cowboys did with the Browns. Drop down to the 2nd round and pick up a first rounder for the next year in hopes for the team sucking. Ofcourse the Browns had a great season but the 49ers trade worked out for the Patriots. I say we try the same if one of the QB's or offensive tackles drop.

I don't really see a need for an impact player on our team. We need depth on the lines and in the secondary. I have a feeling we will be adressing linebacker in free agency.

I doubt Blades starts at OLB next season. He is too slow to be a fulltime OLB and would get exposed. A legit athlete like Crable is needed. I see the Skins being interested in Dansby, but with talk about him being franchised, I doubt they pick him up. THe only real options on the FA market are Demorrio Williams and Kawika Mitchell. I like Williams but I'm not sure he can move to SLB once Rocky comes back in 2009. That is why I feel that Crable really is the best option. The big knock on him is lack of experience, but my instincts are telling me he will be a Pro Bowler.

I am absolutely against drafting WRs. There are way too many busts and with Caldwell and McCardell stepping up, I don't think we need to add any.

The primary foci of the draft should be adding DLs (at least one starting caliber player), a starting LB, a nickel guy who plays Prioleau's role (convert a corner), and interior OL depth.

The secondary focus is drafting a QB and a KR if Rock Cartwright bolts.

Remember that this team does its best when it does NOT add a ton of high-priced FAs.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#25 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:01 pm

we need offensive line and a pressure end. Im not sure about cornerback but Shawn Springs really sucked yesterday.

I'm loving our safeties. Landry is the **** and Doughty really reminds of Ryan Clark except hes such a fine tackler in comparison to Clark.

Smoot is solid and Torreighence is a diamond in the rough. The guy has been a solid nickel ever since Rogers went down.

I hope we stay away from the big name corners. IF we want to spend a ton on a player, it should be Jared Allen.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:46 am

I think we also need to look at QB. I think Brunell's gonna retire or get cut, and Todd might be looking for a big payday before he calls it quits as well.

Should be a very interesting offseason for sure.
theamazingjex
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#27 » by theamazingjex » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:57 pm

Hey, I don't follow football too closely and am wondering who the heck is going to play QB next season. Y'all aren't discussing it, but it seems to me like the biggest question facing the team. I'd really like to learn some more on this. Am I overestimating the need for a new starting QB? What're some likely prospects?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 12:00 am

Campbell is our starter. I think it's really unfair to call him a bust after only 20 starts or so and just a year and a half or so under Saunders' system. Give him another offseason and a preseason to prepare and we'll see what happens.

Mark Brunell is an unrestricted free agent.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#29 » by likwitdesi » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:14 am

Rafael122 wrote:I think we also need to look at QB. I think Brunell's gonna retire or get cut, and Todd might be looking for a big payday before he calls it quits as well.

Should be a very interesting offseason for sure.

I'd just do some serious scouting and pick up some dude off someone else's practice squad or sign a UDFA.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#30 » by likwitdesi » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:17 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:we need offensive line and a pressure end. Im not sure about cornerback but Shawn Springs really sucked yesterday.

I'm loving our safeties. Landry is the **** and Doughty really reminds of Ryan Clark except hes such a fine tackler in comparison to Clark.

Smoot is solid and Torreighence is a diamond in the rough. The guy has been a solid nickel ever since Rogers went down.

I hope we stay away from the big name corners. IF we want to spend a ton on a player, it should be Jared Allen.

Fine at CB. Just get a better pass rush and it will be good. Remember with the OL that Thomas and Jansen (who knows how effective he will be) are coming back next season
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#31 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:16 pm

There saying Rocky will be back by the start of next year. Great news. I really like our defense all accross the board but I'd make a few tweaks to it.

Defensive line: Cut Philip Daniels and paycut for Cornelius Griffin. Draft Derrick Harvey in the first.

Linebacker: Sign Lance Briggs if Marcus Washington doesn't take a paycut (in this case Washington gets cut).

Cornerback: stay put. Wait for Rogers return which should be mid year or maybe even earlier.

Safety: stay put.

LDE: Harvey,Evans
DT: Montgomery, Alexander
DT: Golston, FA pickup
RDE: Carter, Wilson
SLB: McIntosh (he was touted in college for being able to play all three positions), Campbell
MLB: Fletcher, Blades
WLB: Briggs, Blades
CB: Springs, Smoot, Torrence, Rogers
FS: Landry, Prielou
SS: Doughty, draft pick, Fox

Young solid defense. Adding Briggs makes us an even better run defense. We need to focus on adding a pass rusher since I doubt teams will try to run on us.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#32 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:47 pm

I think it's tough to predict offseason roster moves without knowing who the head coach will be. I will say that I think Daniels, Griffin, and Springs are gone. Marcus Washington and Portis may need to renegotiate.

IMO the most needed acquisitions are:

- a big, strong WR (possibly through draft)
- legit starting left guard
- pass rusher opposite Carter
- upgrade at C
- upgrade at safety
- backup QB (if Collins leaves)
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#33 » by likwitdesi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:There saying Rocky will be back by the start of next year. Great news. I really like our defense all accross the board but I'd make a few tweaks to it.

Defensive line: Cut Philip Daniels and paycut for Cornelius Griffin. Draft Derrick Harvey in the first.

Linebacker: Sign Lance Briggs if Marcus Washington doesn't take a paycut (in this case Washington gets cut).

Cornerback: stay put. Wait for Rogers return which should be mid year or maybe even earlier.

Safety: stay put.

LDE: Harvey,Evans
DT: Montgomery, Alexander
DT: Golston, FA pickup
RDE: Carter, Wilson
SLB: McIntosh (he was touted in college for being able to play all three positions), Campbell
MLB: Fletcher, Blades
WLB: Briggs, Blades
CB: Springs, Smoot, Torrence, Rogers
FS: Landry, Prielou
SS: Doughty, draft pick, Fox

Young solid defense. Adding Briggs makes us an even better run defense. We need to focus on adding a pass rusher since I doubt teams will try to run on us.

No to Briggs. You just don't spend that much money on LBs. DLs? Yes. OLs? Yes. But no to LBs. Also you'd need at least one playmaker at DT.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 3:00 pm

$6 million off the cap with Carter and Thomas restructuring. So we're about $14 million over.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#35 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:03 pm

Great article in the Post detailing each position.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 8021102877

Looks like Snyder's hot and heavy after Chad Johnson and Lance Briggs. Bye-bye draft picks.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:27 am

I'd give up an '09 2nd rounder for Chad but that's as far as I go with that. He'd be the tall wide receiver we desperately need, and we push Randle-El to the slot.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#37 » by W. Unseld » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Isn't Chad 6'1"?
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#38 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:58 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Isn't Chad 6'1"?

Yup. But he has long strides and a huge wingspan + great vertical leap.

He would definetly be the best WR we've had since Monk and Clark. Which pretty shows how pathetic we've been at that position ever since both retired.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Rafael122 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:21 am

Chris Cooley restructured his contract.

We're now roughly $3.6 million over the cap.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#40 » by LyricalRico » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 am

Here's a link breaking down the top defensive linemen.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7810 ... ve-linemen

I don't know much about any of these guys but I think defensive line would be a good spot to use the first round pick on (assuming they don't trade it for Chad).

Return to Washington Football Team