[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Joe Gibbs Retires. Who's next? (WTF...Zorn?)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Who should the Skins hire?

Total votes: 0

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,834

Post#21 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Breaking: Redskins hire Jim Zorn to be the team's Offensive Coordinator.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#22 » by Rafael122 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:59 pm

Greg Blache has been named Defensive Coordinator.

Gregg Williams is officially out of the organization.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#23 » by LyricalRico » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:13 pm

I would say "cart before the horse" but that would be an understatement.

I didn't expect Williams to get the job since it's taken so much time so that's not a surprise. I'm not upset with the Blache move since that would leave some continuity on the defense.

But hiring an offense coordinator without naming a head coach? That means that whoever comes in as head coach will have to accept that their team's style of play is essentially already determined. Who wants to come into that type of scenario?

This means that our search for head coaches is likely down to re-treads who have experience with the west coast offense. Steve Mariucci anyone?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#24 » by Rafael122 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:35 pm

The word is that 3 out of the 4 candidates all would have wanted Zorn as their OC - that would mean Ron Meeks, Jim Fassel and Gregg Williams were all looking at him as their offensive coordinator. Since Gregg is out, its highly likely the new coach will be Fassel unless they lure the Giants DC to Washington.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#25 » by VinnyTheMick » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Rafael122 wrote:The word is that 3 out of the 4 candidates all would have wanted Zorn as their OC - that would mean Ron Meeks, Jim Fassel and Gregg Williams were all looking at him as their offensive coordinator. Since Gregg is out, its highly likely the new coach will be Fassel unless they lure the Giants DC to Washington.

Stay away from Spags!
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#26 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:02 pm

Official news:
The Washington Redskins fired assistants Gregg Williams and Al Saunders on Saturday, according to the Associated Press.

The Redskins also formally announced the hiring of Jim Zorn, who agreed to a three-year deal Friday to be the team's offensive coordinator.

Link

Looks like Snyder has Fassel in his back pocket and he just wants to see what Spagnoula has to say in an interview. My money's on Fassel.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by Rafael122 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:48 pm

Yeah, according to John Clayton, Fassel will be the next head coach.

Ron Meeks will get a 2nd interview, and the Giants DC will also get an interview.

Fassel approved Blache's promotion and Zorn's hiring.

Further, Bill Lazor who was the QB coach for the Redskins is gone, so is Jerry Gray and Steven Jackson.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#28 » by craig01 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:50 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:I have to be honest, I didn't see this coming. It seems like Snyder is full of **** and didn't learn anything from Gibbs. If GW is not promoted, Gibbs II is a big time failure.

JG left us with a solid foundation, which Snyder is ready to tear apart. Its absolutely sickening how there treating Williams after all hes done for this franchise the past 4 years.

But nah, little midget doesn't wanna hire GW because GW doesn't want Cerrato. :roll:

give me a friggin break. I'm slowly losing my interest in this franchise.

Cerrato is a long time NFL joke. He is Snyder's "enabler".

I am a life long Redskin fan dating back to the days of Sonny Jurgensen, Charley Taylor, and Larry Brown. This franchise is/was very close to be solid again. Now, success seems light years away again.

Daniel Snyder sickens me with his meddling. I fear a run of 4-12's coming.

This is all illogical.

Damn it.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#29 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:37 pm

LyricalRico wrote:This means that our search for head coaches is likely down to re-treads who have experience with the west coast offense. Steve Mariucci anyone?

Excellent guess Lyrical. Jason LaCanfora is now speculating that the target all along has been Steve Mariucci.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskins ... ew_on.html

Something To Chew On

The Redskins say it will be at a least a week until he tells us who the new head coach is and I know that's way too long for you all to spend dissecting the coaching career Jim Fassel. How about we take a moment to examine someone whose names has not been publicly linked to the job yet.

Ready?

You sure?

Steve Mariucci.

He has a point. Many little things point to us looking at Mooch as the eventual HC. This is something I'll definetly be able to live with. Mooch was a very good coach in San Fran and would be good for this team.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:24 am

We're gonna have an egg on our faces. Buges is coming back, and with the exception of Byner, who is mulling an extension, and Don Breaux and Jack Burns (who will move into consulting roles), all the assistants are coming back.

Larry Brooks who was Blache's right hand man in Chicago will coach the defensive line, and the only spot to fill is the coaching position.

Not bad, it looked like a mess with all the rumors and such, but we're only bringing in like 4 new guys.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#31 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:55 pm

I still don't think Campbell is a WC quarterback. He doesn't read the defense well enough and his release is too slow. He needs to be in a power running offense where he can throw off play-action. Anybody with any info to make me feel better about JC in the WC system?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#32 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 1, 2008 6:54 pm

The latest:

It's time to move Steve Mariucci from "maybe" to "definite" on the list of Washington Redskins coaching candidates.

The former San Francisco 49ers and Detroit Lions coach will interview with owner Dan Snyder about the Redskins vacancy, a person familiar with the selection process told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The interview will take place in Arizona before the Super Bowl on Sunday, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the Redskins have not publicly released the names of any candidates.

Link
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Rafael122 » Sat Feb 2, 2008 4:27 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I still don't think Campbell is a WC quarterback. He doesn't read the defense well enough and his release is too slow. He needs to be in a power running offense where he can throw off play-action. Anybody with any info to make me feel better about JC in the WC system?

Jason Campbell had his best college season under Al Borges, who ran the West Coast Offense.

Borges is a student of the West Coast offense and once considered himself a West Coast "purist." Borges still credits former San Francisco 49ers head coach Bill Walsh with the major influence for how he coaches quarterbacks.[6] He subsequently incorporated substantial play action into his offense to deal with modern defensive schemes and strives for a 50-50 run-pass ratio.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#34 » by LyricalRico » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:03 pm

Interesting find Raffy. Good stuff.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#35 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:27 pm

More news on the coaching search:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Washington Redskins, entering the final stage of their coaching search, tentatively plan to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Tuesday, a person familiar with the selection process said.

The person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Redskins have not publicly released the names of any candidates, also said Sunday that New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is no longer in the running for the job.

Owner Dan Snyder told reporters in Arizona over the weekend that he hopes to have a coach in place within a week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Sounds like we should hear something pretty soon.

In other news, Gregg Williams may end up going to the Dark Side:

After going from a favorite for the Washington Redskins head coaching job to being fired, Gregg Williams may land on his feet.

Dallas media reported on Sunday that the former Redskins defensive coordinator interviewed with the Cowboys for a role on their staff.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3229495

My guess would be that he would pretty much spend this season evaluating the current Dallas defenders and then take over the defense when Garrett is named head coach in 2009.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#36 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:26 pm

The latest on the coaching search:

Spagnuolo and team owner Dan Snyder spoke by phone for 90 minutes Monday night about the Redskins coaching vacancy. Then, after another euphoric moment -- Tuesday's ticker-tape parade for the Giants through Manhattan in which players and coaches received keys to the city -- Spagnuolo was to be picked up by one of Snyder's planes and flown to Washington so the two could talk face-to-face at Snyder's house.

Spagnuolo was to spend the night at a guesthouse on Snyder's property -- the same treatment given several other contenders for the job -- before resuming the interview Wednesday morning.

The talks were confirmed by two people familiar with the Redskins selection process, both speaking on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because the team has preferred to keep details of the process private.

Spagnuolo, Ron Meeks and Jim Fassel are the three remaining possible replacements for Joe Gibbs, who resigned Jan. 8. Snyder plans to huddle with his brain trust late Wednesday with the hope of making a selection.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

I'm slightly surprise that Mooch is out of the running and I'm thinking that Meeks isn't a serious candidate either. Either Spags wows Danny or it'll be Fassel.

OT - Looks like Gregg Williams won't be going to Dallas after all:

Gregg Williams To Jacksonville Almost Done

League sources said the sides have agreed to terms but are still hasing out some minor details and the former boss of the Skins defense has not yet signed with the Jags.

From what I am hearing it'll be done by dinner time, however.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskins ... ville.html
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:31 am

Spags will interview through Thursday.

And Earnest Byner is coming back for another year as running backs coach.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#38 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:20 pm

Mooch not out of it yet?

As Spagnuolo is interviewing, Jim Fassel, Ron Meeks and Steve Mariucci await word on Snyder's decision. A league source said Mariucci remains in the mix.

Link
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 7, 2008 5:07 am

I think it's gonna be Spags. Been here since Tuesday, will stay another day. It's gotta be him.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#40 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 8, 2008 4:38 pm

Well, Spags extends his deal with NY. Heard on ESPN that Fassel has been offered the job.

Return to Washington Football Team