[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official Offseason Thread (was likwitdesi's Offseason Plan)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#61 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Mar 8, 2008 7:41 pm

Sorry if my point came across unclear. I'll state it better:

adding young talent is nice but most of these players don't even make it on the 53 man roster. See for instance Tyler Ecker, Dallas Sartz and Jordan Palmer last year.

The year before some scrub named Kevin Simon (who we took two picks before Marques Colston sigh...)

We have 5 picks after the fourth round which is useless because two or three will most likely get cut. Its better we move up for quality than draft quantity that most likely will never help.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,834

Post#62 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Some updates:

DJ Hackett will come in for a visit this week.

Frost is basically not getting any play in free agency so he should be back in the fold. My guess its under a 1 year deal. Personally he should be grateful he has a job. Punters are so easy to come by nowadays.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#63 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Hackett could definitely help Campbell with the offense, although I'm not sure he's what we need in a WR. He is 6'2 but is he a legit #2 guy who can play opposite Santana?
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#64 » by CJ_18 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:31 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Hackett could definitely help Campbell with the offense, although I'm not sure he's what we need in a WR. He is 6'2 but is he a legit #2 guy who can play opposite Santana?

He's no Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#65 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Well, Hackett came and went without a contract.

In other news, I saw on SportsCenter that the Skins are interested in trading for DeAngelo Hall. The Falcons would want a first round pick and Hall would want a new contract.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#66 » by CJ_18 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Are any of you 'Skin fans interested in being the GM of the Redskins for RealGM's User Draft?

If so, go to the NFL Draft board.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#67 » by Rafael122 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Frost signs the one year tender for $605,000.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#68 » by likwitdesi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:35 pm

We made a big mistake by passing on Hackett. A gamble, yes. However, one worth taking. When healthy, he has flashed the ability to be a Pro Bowler. He was easily worth the 2-year 3.5 mil contract that the Panthers signed him to.

Second, I'm hopping on the Branden Albert bandwagon. Harvey is not going to be there and I hate all the WRs in this draft especially Kelly, Sweed, and Jackson. All three are going to be busts. Albert is the BPA at #21 and shows the ability to be a Pro Bowler. He currently is projected as a guard in the NFL because that is what he played in college, but he can also play tackle and could be Samuels's replacement way down the raod when he hangs it up. Send Kendall to the bench...his injuries and body need it...he'd be a stellar interior backup too.

A starting OL of Samuels, Albert, Rabach, Thomas, and Samuels with backups being Kendall, Heyer, and Fab is excellent.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#69 » by LyricalRico » Tue Apr 1, 2008 5:53 pm

likwitdesi wrote:A starting OL of Samuels, Albert, Rabach, Thomas, and Samuels with backups being Kendall, Heyer, and Fab is excellent.

:nod:

The question then becomes - where do we get a big WR from? Any FAs available?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#70 » by LyricalRico » Tue Apr 1, 2008 7:30 pm

The Washington Redskins were awarded three additional picks in the NFL draft, including a third-round choice.

The league announced that 32 compensatory draft picks had been awarded to 15 teams based on a formula balancing players lost and added by each club in free agency. The Redskins were awarded the highest of the compensatory selections, the 96th overall pick in the draft. Their other two compensatory choices come in the seventh round, Nos. 242 and 249 overall.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02683.html

That gives us a total of 12, right?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 1, 2008 9:54 pm

I think its 9 draft picks. Go back a couple of pages, can't remember but its definitely not 12.

This is good. We have a 1, 2, and I believe two 3's.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#72 » by likwitdesi » Tue Apr 8, 2008 7:58 pm

LyricalRico wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:nod:

The question then becomes - where do we get a big WR from? Any FAs available?

Plenty of people in round 3. I really like Jordy Nelson as the possession receiver. He is big, has good hands, runs very good routes, and works hard.

However, it is starting to look like Albert won't be there at 21. JLC reports that if he is there, we are going to pounce on him. If Albert isn't there, I heavily advocate trading #21 to the Falcons for their 2 2nd round picks (they hate Matty Ice but love Brohm who is expected to be there in the 20's).

With 5 top-3 round picks, this team will be able to immediately add a lot of people who can contribute immediately.

Guys we should focus on include: Tommy Blake (DE from TCU who was a projected top 10 pick before he suffered depression problems his senior year), Trevor Laws (DT from ND who can be that penetrator that Blatche reportedly really wants), and, in general, guys with first round grades who have just fallen.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by Rafael122 » Wed Apr 9, 2008 10:52 pm

At least we know Albert might be their top guy on their board. He's suppose to be the best interior offensive linemen in the draft.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#74 » by likwitdesi » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:26 am

Rafael122 wrote:At least we know Albert might be their top guy on their board. He's suppose to be the best interior offensive linemen in the draft.

He has the ability to become the best OG in the NFL. Unfortunately, some teams believe that he can be a top-tier LT.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#75 » by Rafael122 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:23 pm

There's been some articles posted in recent days regarding what the Redskins could do with their pick:

Brandon Albert
Calais Campbell - the d-line coach here is from the U so this wouldn't be a surprise pick
Phillip Merling - had hernia surgery, will work out for Washington 2 days before the draft
Sam Baker - looked at as a possible 2nd round pick
Malcolm Kelly - his draft stock has dropped the last 2 weeks, wouldn't be surprised if the Skins pick him in the 2nd round.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#76 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:37 am

This offseason was a failure. Horrible draft, horrible free agency.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:04 am

I liked it. Like I said in the other thread, I gave them an A. No defensive end or tackle was going to start next season. We don't need starters, we need backups.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#78 » by LyricalRico » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm pretty satisfied with the offseason as a whole so far. I'm still a little leery of the holes we have in the defensive backfield and a lack of depth on the lines. A good Day 2 of the draft and some FA bargains after June 1 are essential to making the offseason a success IMO.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#79 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:07 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:This offseason was a failure. Horrible draft, horrible free agency.

change that. Like what we ended up with the draft except Davis.

We still have no depth at defensive end and are an Andre Carter injury from having the worst defensive line in football. We should have taken Calais Campbell or Quentin Groves instead of Fred Davis. Stupid stupid stupid pick. I don't know why this team is allergic to young defensive ends. The rotation is absolutely terrible. I hope the Skins are high on Chris Wilson for a good reason. He better turn out to be a good gem.

Return to Washington Football Team