[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Defense thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Defense thread 

Post#1 » by TNBT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:49 am

I'm a relatively new Redskins and American football fan, so a lot of this might be boring to some of you. However, a lot of the threads I have read here talk about the defensive structure that this team has and will use, mainly the debate about the 4-3 or 3-4 systems. I don't know a huge amount about our roster, other than what I have read on a couple of sites that have player profiles, so I wanted to ask you guys what you think. What system do you want and expect to see - the 4-3 or 3-4? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each? With the roster we have, which system do you think fits us better? What positions do you think suit our players better?

Like I said, some of this will seem really basic and boring to some of you, but I'm still trying to learn as much about this game and team as possible, so any info would be great. Thanks.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Re: Defense thread 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:15 pm

3-4 means 3 defensive linemen and 4 linebackers, and 4-3 means 4 defensive linemen and 3 linebackers (which is the traditional defense).The main difference is blitzing. In a 4-3 you expect pressure to come from the defensive line, with your linebackers blitzing sometimes. Complete opposite of the 3-4, where you are holding the fort and attracting double teams like Haynesowrth will, allowing your linebackers to come in and make a play on the QB.

I expect us to use a hybrid, and not be a 34 defense 100% of the time.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by TNBT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:23 pm

That makes sense. I always wondered what the difference was as far as how the team plays in one system compared to another. I guess that teams with great offensive lines would usually lean more towards a 4-3 while teams with great linebackers would generally be more inclined to play in a 3-4 structure?

Also, from what you said, I get the impression that in a 4-3 system, Haynesworth would be able to get more sacks compared to in a 3-4 where he will spend most of his time tacking up multiple blockers while his linebackers blitz? Is that why he's not happy?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:29 pm

You got it. He would be expected to play nose tackle which means he will face double teams all game long. The thing is, Haslett will move him to defensive end at times as well so he can get his sacks. Kemoteau is supposed to be our starting nose tackle. This will be very interesting to follow for sure.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by TNBT » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:33 am

Thanks for the help mate. I know he's usually listed as a DT, but what's stopping him from playing the entire season at DE?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:00 am

Could we use AJ Hawk?

Hawk didn’t play a single snap from scrimmage for the Packers in their season-opening victory at Philadelphia. After starting 62 of 65 games in his Packers’ career, the former first-round draft pick appears to have reached the point where his best opportunity to be a key contributor on defense might be with another team.

There’s still more than a month before the NFL’s Oct. 19 trading deadline and although Hawk’s agent, Mike McCartney, stressed that Hawk remains committed to the team that drafted him fifth overall in 2006, he indicated that Hawk would be willing to change teams if it meant more playing time.

“A.J. is a pro’s pro and wants to do his part to help the team win, and his first priority is to be the best Packer he can,” McCartney said when reached by phone on Wednesday. “But if some team called and wanted him to play on all three downs, I think he’d be excited about that.”

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette ... agent-says

Not sure what we'd give up for him, though.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by TNBT » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 pm

I think he's certainly someone to look at, but who do we move from LB to fit Hawk in? Fletcher and Orakpo are two of our best players, so I doubt they are going anywhere. That means we'd have to move or bench either McIntosh or Carter, and to be honest, I think those two are pretty good players.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Move Carter back to defensive end, and play Hawk as an OLB. I'd give up a 5th round pick for Hawk, but nothing more.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by TNBT » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:32 pm

Wasn't Hawk drafted with the 5th pick? Why don't the Packers want him?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Rafael122 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:36 am

Sounds like he doesn't fit their scheme, which oddly enough is the 3-4. He's a solid player, but he was a top 5 pick and they expected a game changing linebacker and they didn't get that.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Skins safeties = worst cover safeties ever

:banghead:

Return to Washington Football Team