[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Who, where, how can the skins get a good QB

Moderator: LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Who, where, how can the skins get a good QB 

Post#1 » by hands11 » Mon Oct 3, 2011 1:38 pm

So how do you think they should finish the rebuild. The D looks like it is set up pretty well to compete moving forward. But they still need a QB. Problem is they will probably be to good to draft a high pick.

I guess they could pull a Ravens move and just keep focusing on everything else until one finally falls your way.

So what FA QB is available next year that would be worth getting.

I guess we need to give Beck a good look first. But one thing is clear, Rex is not the answer.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,806

Re: Who, where, who can the skins get a good QB 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 3, 2011 3:12 pm

I think we will let Grossman walk this year, and then let Beck take over.

Then they will draft a QB.

Andrew Luck
Matt Barkley
Landry Jones
Robert Griffen III

Probably he top 4 QBs in the draft.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Who, where, how can the skins get a good QB 

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 4, 2011 10:17 am

Beck is 30 years old. If he was the QB of the future, he'd be playing now over a journeyman like Grossman. Grossman is what he is - a good backup playing starter by necessity. The Skins are lucky that there seem to be a lot of outstanding QB's likely to be in the next draft - though my knowledge of college football players is very limited. Btw, even though the defense is so much improved, they still lack a top cover corner. DHall may be a playmaker, but it''s mostly helping Skins' opponents making plays. Him being selected to the Pro Bowl and being the MVP there shows what a joke the Pro Bowl game is.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#4 » by Nivek » Tue Oct 4, 2011 3:44 pm

Grossman is obviously the team's biggest weakness. Their defense looked good Sunday, but they were made to look better by the Rams receivers and their inability to catch well-thrown balls. As for QB, there's no place they can get one this season. Their options are Grossman and Beck. I'd be willing to give Beck a shot, but I'm under no illusions that he's the QB of the future or even that he'll be much of an upgrade (if any) over Grossman.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 109

Post#5 » by W. Unseld » Wed Oct 5, 2011 8:00 pm

I don't watch much college ball either but if there are 4 good ones in next year's draft I'd be kind of surprised if the Skins weren't able to land one. I'm hoping George Allen is better at picking qb talent than the last regime (all though that didn't seem to be the case in Tampa) b/c the Skins attempted to mortgage the future for both Cutler and Sanchez, neither of which has looked like much.

I'm also intrigued by the later round flyer on D. Davis out of ECU.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Thu Oct 6, 2011 2:42 pm

QB and interior o-lineman are needs that should be addressed next draft and offseason. Everything else should be depth.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 6, 2011 10:06 pm

Rafael122 wrote:QB and interior o-lineman are needs that should be addressed next draft and offseason. Everything else should be depth.

They also lack an elite WR and a cover CB - both of which are needs - not wants - imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Fri Oct 7, 2011 7:36 pm

Trade for Romo? I'd do it just to hear Theissman backtrack all over himself.

:D

Seriously, my solution is to draft somebody in 2012. I have no idea who that should be, but they need a blue chip guy (first or second round). At least the new rookie salary scale makes it easier to draft a guy high and let him sit for a while.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#9 » by Nivek » Fri Oct 7, 2011 8:19 pm

I agree with Ruz -- they'll have several needs next offseason. QB, WR, O-line (interior), LB (inside), CB. And then depth.

If I'm ranking now based on need:

1. QB
2. CB
3. O-line
4. LB
5. WR

The wildcard at WR will be Hankerson. If he can learn during his redshirt year and become the guy they think he can be -- the Skins will get an upgrade from their existing group. It's telling that they have to keep him on the active roster. If they try to get him to the practice squad, he'll get snapped up.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Sat Oct 8, 2011 5:51 pm

I guess we can't depend on London Fletcher to play into his 50's. RockyMac has looked surprisingly good early this season. In the preseason, I was hoping Perry Riley would win the starting spot, but he wasn't ready.

At RB, we've had young guys Torain and Helu really step up. Maybe that can happen to an extent with the young WR's, but look at Dallas (2 Pro Bowl caliber WR's), Philly (Jackson is maybe the top deep threat in the game.), and NYG (Hixon is a stud) - the other teams in our division have established game-changers, and the Skins don't.

Don't sleep on Paul (Helu's Cornhusker teammate). He's beaten out Hankerson on the depth chart (and not just because he's a special teams contributor), and a Skins coach said he was their top rookie during training camp. He's been getting some playing time - but I think only when they've run. They seem to trust his blocking skills a lot, and I think they'll gradually fit him in the passing game.
hands11
Banned User

Post#11 » by hands11 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:38 am

Getting Armstrong back out there again should help stretch the field. That an getting back to focusing on Fred Davis more.

They have a pretty nice looking roster when you consider 3 headed monster at RB, with FB and Coley and a group of WRs that is more then enough to get it done. Then you look at Brain O and Ryan rushing the passer and Rocky and London filling out the LBs. DL is solid. Landry at SS. The D is solid.

You have a solid FG kicker and punter.

If they had a quality QB to go with this group, I wouldnt cap how good they could be. WIth Rex and Beck as the options......this thing could crash an burn at any moment.

Next weeks game is huge. Win and you are 4-1 and 2-1 in the division. Loss and you are 3-2 and 1-2 in the division.

83 pts in 4 games is concerning.

But Im not complaining. I like the rebuild so far.
rasta028
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#12 » by rasta028 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:30 pm

hands11 wrote:So how do you think they should finish the rebuild. The D looks like it is set up pretty well to compete moving forward. But they still need a QB. Problem is they will probably be to good to draft a high pick.

I guess they could pull a Ravens move and just keep focusing on everything else until one finally falls your way.

So what FA QB is available next year that would be worth getting.

I guess we need to give Beck a good look first. But one thing is clear, Rex is not the answer.

Tank the season and go 0-16 which is too late, Ala the Colts.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:33 pm

Robert Griffen III (RG3) looks like a very good option for next year to me. I just wish he had a bit thicker build - he doesn't look like the 220 lbs he's listed at. He's going to take a pounding in the NFL. Another QB I like for Shanny's system is Tanneyhill - the QB at Texas A&M - who could slip till the 2nd round. He converted to QB in college - used to be a WR - but he's 6'4 and seems like a born QB.
rasta028
Freshman

Post#14 » by rasta028 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:19 am

Not impressed by Barkley, I've watched since high school and he's not a good pressure QB, he seems to fold all the time when the games are tight.
We may have to find someone in FA and strengthen other areas first.
rasta028
Freshman

Post#15 » by rasta028 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:22 am

Ruzious wrote:Robert Griffen III (RG3) looks like a very good option for next year to me. I just wish he had a bit thicker build - he doesn't look like the 220 lbs he's listed at. He's going to take a pounding in the NFL. Another QB I like for Shanny's system is Tanneyhill - the QB at Texas A&M - who could slip till the 2nd round. He converted to QB in college - used to be a WR - but he's 6'4 and seems like a born QB.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rd pick on Griffin, we need a big WR who can help us in the Red Zone. Or another Cover DB like Honey badger but he's sophomore.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:29 am

rasta028 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Robert Griffen III (RG3) looks like a very good option for next year to me. I just wish he had a bit thicker build - he doesn't look like the 220 lbs he's listed at. He's going to take a pounding in the NFL. Another QB I like for Shanny's system is Tanneyhill - the QB at Texas A&M - who could slip till the 2nd round. He converted to QB in college - used to be a WR - but he's 6'4 and seems like a born QB.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rd pick on Griffin, we need a big WR who can help us in the Red Zone. Or another Cover DB like Honey badger but he's sophomore.

We need a bunch of things, but first things first - we NEED a QB - farrrrrr more than anything else. Why wouldn't you use a 1st on RG3?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Rafael122 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:01 am

Sounds like RG 3 is going back to school anyway.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#18 » by 7-Day Dray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:25 am

rasta028 wrote:

I'd take RGIII in the 1st, and sign someone like Bowe or V. Jackson in FA.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:27 pm

At this point, I wouldn't blink an eye if the Skins traded all their picks for Luck. And just overspend in free agency.
hands11
Banned User

Post#20 » by hands11 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:06 pm

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... ersion_20/

1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford. He is the obvious choice with or without Peyton Manning going forward.

2. St. Louis Rams: Matt Kalil, T, USC. The Jason Smith pick has not panned out, and they must try again to get Sam Bradford better protection.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Quentin Coples, DE, North Carolina. Some think he is the best pass rusher in the draft, and this disappointing defense needs help.

4. Miami Dolphins: Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma. The QB of the future is not currently on their roster, and the coach of their future will want a strong prospect to build around.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State. Blaine Gabbert needs a legit go-to receiver, and Blackmon has the physicality to excel in short or longer routes.

6. Cleveland Browns: Matt Barkley, QB, USC. I think the Browns brass will conclude that Colt McCoy is not the answer at QB and chase after golden boy Barkley. It is at this point I feel compelled to remind readers that this represents what I think the team will do, not what I would do if given the chance.

7. Washington Redskins: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M. Mike Shanahan will love his arm, his mobility, and the fact he is not a finished product.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z1dUoaUJ3w

Return to Washington Football Team