[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official 2012 Draft & Offseason Discussion Thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,806

Official 2012 Draft & Offseason Discussion Thread 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 3, 2012 2:18 pm

Yeah, this team finished 1 game worse than last year, but I feel a lot more confident about the direction of the team. Defense was ranked in the top 15 and I believe the offense was ranked 16th last I checked, though last in turnover margin. Basically, turnovers make the difference between a 5-11 team and a 11-5 team.

Obviously the biggest need is quarterback and with the Skins picking 6th, there's a good chance they could select RG 3 or they would have to move up. They have more picks than usual this year, so it will be interesting to see what they do.

I also think they need a playmaking #1 receiver in the Vincent Jackson mold, and obviously they need to address the depth issues along the offensive line. I think the team is 2 or 3 pieces away from being a playoff team, but it all starts with quarterback. We're probably the team with the biggest need in that area. They could either draft one or go with Matt Flynn who lit it up during the last week of the year.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Re: 2012 Offseason 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 3, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm generally against taking QBs at the top of the draft, although I wouldn't be upset with RG3. My plan for the QB situation is the same as the official Sport Fix plan from Sheehan/Loverro: sign Matt Flynn, draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd to be the backup and heir, and have an undrafted FA QB developing as the third.

Other than signing Flynn, I hope they spend the rest of their FA dollars on Vincent Jackson and the top kicker that's on the market, even if they have to overpay for both. Fred Davis can walk. Then I want them to manuever in the draft like they did last year for more picks. Aside from taking a QB in the 2nd/3rd to be Flynn's backup, they should spend ALL of those picks on O-linemen and DBs.

That, plus Cooley and last year's 2nd round D-lineman pick (name escapes me) returning healthy, should address all of the glaring holes and give the team depth. I could then take the paper bag off my head and root for them again.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 9, 2012 4:13 pm

Jarvis Jenkins, suppose to be a stud.

Redskins coaches are going to be coaches at the Senior Bowl. I believe they are coaching the South team. Shanny and co. will get a good look at Tannehill, QB out of Texas A&M. Possible 2nd round target.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:02 pm

Skins hire former Bucs coach Raheem Morris to coach the defensive backs. Excellent hire.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#5 » by verbal8 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Skins hire former Bucs coach Raheem Morris to coach the defensive backs. Excellent hire.

agreed
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:02 pm

So Tannehill broke his foot and is pretty much done through the combine. Early word is he may now be a 2nd round pick as opposed to a first rounder. This is great news for the Skins because now they have the possibility of standing pat, taking a guy like Blackmon in the first, and then turning around and getting a QB in the 2nd round.Best case scenario.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:11 pm

^ Blackmon + Tannehill = not bad at all

If that happened and they used the rest of their picks on O-linemen and DBs I'd consider it a successful draft.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 8, 2012 2:18 pm

Skins are going to franchise tag Fred Davis (so his salary will be at around $5.5 million). Good move, risky to do a long term deal since one more drug violation and he's suspended for the year.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Wed Feb 8, 2012 6:43 pm

^ I dunno, Raf. I would almost want him out of the locker room so that the more valuable Trent Williams doesn't have a partner in crime. A healthy Cooley is still an above average tight end, and we still have options to add playmakers at WR.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 8, 2012 8:54 pm

You said a HEALTHY Cooley. FACT is Cooley hasn't been healthy for awhile. Davis has proven he's a pretty good football player. He just needs to stop smoking weed.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Depending on who you believe, Skins have anywhere between $47-$49 million in cap room.

They re-signed Will Montgomery to a 4 year/$12 million deal. No guaranteed money.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 1, 2012 8:20 pm

Latest FOX Sports mock has us trading up for RG3:

2. *Washington Redskins: (via trade with St. Louis): Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor: Though St. Louis general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher would likely prefer to trade this pick outside of the conference, Washington will end up making the most aggressive (and fruitful) play for RG3.

Furthermore, there’s history here. Rams president Kevin Demoff has a strong relationship with Redskins front-office honcho Bruce Allen, while Jeff Fisher and Mike Shanahan have a rich friendship that spans decades. Though I feel a bit like Bill Simmons with his fascination with hypothetical NBA trades, I think Washington has the goods to get this done and I just don’t see Cleveland or Seattle finding a way.

Sources say the Rams are asking for the equivalent of the No. 1 overall pick in exchange for Griffin. If you reference the tried and true trade value chart, that’s 3,000 points — a whole, whole lot. The ‘Skins — desperate for a franchise quarterback and a return to relevance in the NFC East — could give the Rams the sixth overall pick (1,600 points), their second (520 points) and third (240) round picks, as well as their first-round pick for next year. That’s a king's ransom and should be enough, but if the Rams need a veteran player, the ‘Skins could throw one in the mix, too. RG3 to D.C. Mark it down!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Mock ... III-022812

:rockon:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Skins talking to Pierre Garcon about a contract, but that's the only thing I've read so far on the internet. Will try and update this thread when necessary.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Skins talking to Pierre Garcon about a contract, but that's the only thing I've read so far on the internet. Will try and update this thread when necessary.

This is the most exciting team for Skins fans - the start of free agency! :D

Garcon's a real smart target for the Skins - a 26 year old with legit talent and a strong receiver who can run after the catch - which they need. The only thing is - if they rely on Garcon and Hankerson as their top WR's... both of them have been known to drop easy catches - it might be fun at times and get frustrating at other times. I hear they're also talking to Eddie Royal. He's a good fit in the Skins' system, but they already have Moss as the slot guy. He's also a heckuva punt returner. If he's signed, Banks is gone. If they sign Royal, I wonder if they let Moss go. Moss always seems to have injury issues, and he ain't getting younger.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#15 » by Nivek » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Santana is actually pretty cheap for next season: his base salary is $2.65 million. His cap hit is $4.3 million because of his signing bonus. His base jumps for 2013-14, so it might make sense to cut him after this season. If the Skins cut him now, I think they'd get only the $2.65 back in cap space. If they wait, they might be able to push some of the signing bonus hit into next year.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:12 pm

Skins sign Pierre Garcon, and are close to signing WR Josh Morgan (formerly of the Niners). Morgan is a local kid, went to Woodson high school. #3 receiver at best.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:19 pm

And Morgan was a Hokie. Seems like a dependable type with good size and a rep for being a good blocker. Actually, he seems a lot like Niles Paul - who I was hoping fit in the Skins plans - but with this likely signing, Paul's going to have a tough time making the team. Another 26 year old WRer.

Re the Garcon signing, honestly, I would have preferred Vincent Jackson - a legit #1 WR with tremendous size/speed combo - a homerun threat and a red zone threat. TB got him. Even with off-field issues and being 3 years older, Jackson >> than Garcon. But Garson will help a lot - if he avoids the drops.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Rafael122 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Jackson was going to break the bank with probably $20 million in guarantees.

Morgan's deal looks like its for 2 years.

Skins re-sign Carriker to a 4 year/$20 million deal, including $7 million in guarantees.

5 year/$42.5 million deal, including $21 million in guarantees for Garcon. DAMN. :o
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Pierre Garcon' is a Washington Redskin 

Post#19 » by Knighthonor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Pierre Garcon' is a Washington Redskin

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -redskins/
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:37 pm

Wow, those are some stiff prices for guys who aren't great players. Carricker had some sacks, but I thought he was a pretty average player. If Jackson just cost a little more than Garcon, I wish they'd have gone harder to get him.

Return to Washington Football Team