[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Skins trade for 2nd overall pick

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,811

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:55 am

2012 1st round pick
2012 2nd round pick
2013 1st round pick
2014 1st round pick

for

2012 1st round pick

So basically its two 1st rounders and a 2nd since the firsts this year are being swapped.

They needed to do this, badly.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Re: Skins trade for 2nd overall pick 

Post#2 » by Illuminaire » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 am

I was about to post some suggestions to tweak the trade, then realized you were reporting, not speculating. LOL.

Um... cool. It's a lot to pay, and if RG3 is a bust, sucks to be us. But if he's a franchise QB, then that's the price of doing business, and we're going to be VERY happy we got him.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:00 am

Also have to remember that the Skins have about $35 million in cap room to play with and I am sure with them not having a 2nd round pick this year, they are going to try and get some help on the offensive line as well as a receiver.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#4 » by Illuminaire » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:37 am

That would be nice. Build the line, get a #1 receiver, and have a fun offense that doesn't get our new QB killed.

I just hope they play it smart and relatively patient; there's no need to spend money just to spend it, if we're paying above-market rates it will hurt us down the line, especially with no #1 draft picks for the foreseeable future.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:26 am

I'm a big RG3 fan, and I'll be rooting for him to succeed, and yes - they needed a QB, but... the price was wayyy too much. It's not just 3 1sts and a 2nd - it's more than likely 3 VERY HIGH 1sts and a VERY HIGH 2nd. And yes, they have something like 50 mil to spend in free agency, but if you spend it, the cap situation could end up going really bad again. And now they're going to have to rely even more on free agency. If RG3 doesn't become a great QB, this trade is a complete and total disaster. If RG3 does become great, I have doubts that the rest of the team is good enough to make them a contender - in both the short term and long term. And teams will go after RG3 whenever he runs - they will try to punish him the same way teams have gone after Vick - and teams have been successful going after Vick - pretty much every year, he's been beaten up by playoff time. It's not like RG3 is built like Cam Newton.

I will root for RG3 to be great, and I understand the desire to get a potential franchise QB - and the difficulty in getting one, but the price was too high, and I don't see this working out. Also, it'll suck at draft time the next 3 drafts - I always looked forward to the high round picks. Instead, I'll have to look at what potentially great players St Louis picks in the Skins' place. That's going to leave a bitter taste.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#6 » by 7-Day Dray » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Cross-posting this on the Wizards and Redskins board.

I'm totally down with this trade. I think RG3 can be a franchise changer, and the Redskins obviously agree because they gave up so much to get him.

1st round picks are overrated to an extent. We've had so many these past years, but still weren't going any where. Landry was a 1st round pick, Orakpo was a 1st round pick, Kerrigan was a 1st round pick, but where did we go with them without having a quarterback? Nowhere. We needed a franchise QB in the worst way.

I don't think we overpaid in the slightest.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:35 pm

Remember when the Skins had consecutive 1st rounders named Art Monk and Darryl Green?

High 1st rounders are especially worth their weight in gold - moreso than ever before because the new CBA severely limits the amounts they can get paid.

And you can be sure the Skins 1sts will be high 1sts - with a rookie QB and a below average roster. RG3 may turn out great, but rookie QB's almost always suck - even if they go on to HOF careers. Look at Eli? He's great now, but he stunk for his 1st 4 seasons. His 4th season stats were eerily identical to Rex Grossman's - the exact same QB rating and the exact same TD's and int's. Basically, the only difference wast that Eli fumbled twice as much as Rex. In the long run, it worked out well for the Gintz, but a lot of people gave up on him. The exact same thing is happening with the Jets QB. Thing is - the Skins don't have the talent on the rest of the roster that Gintz and Jests did.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#8 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:07 pm

This trade has way too many facets to really address in a few sentances...ultimately the Skins needed to make a move for RG3/Luck. They need a top flight QB in the worst way. This is a HUGE price to pay and unless the Skins are very savvy with their cap it'll hurt them.

If RG3 ends up becoming an elite QB it's worth the price. If he ends up merely becoming a good QB, ala Sanchez, it'll be a colossal mistake and set the franchise back a decade.

One thing to keep in mind. The Skins have had a ton of very high firsts and seconds over the last 10 years. The success rate has been less than 50% and the hits haven't really been game changers...the only true game changer was Sean Taylor, RIP. Orakpo and Kerrigan are good, but far from great. Jury is out on Williams. Rogers, Landry, Campbell, Ramsey, Gardner=bust, bust, bust, bust, bust.

I'll grant you RG3 may be a bust, but the potential is high he may be elite, and in my mind that's worth the risks considering all the circumstances.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 110

Post#9 » by W. Unseld » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:30 pm

My main problem was with the process of this trade. Why not wait for Manning & Flynn to land so there are fewer teams to bid against? Why not let the vetting process play out a little more? I doubt you find out anything bad about RG3 but you might & you also might find out something good about another prospect that you don't have to give up anything for. Also there are some good qbs scheduled to come out next year. It just wreaks of impatience & overpayment. If you aren't willing to walk away from the negotiation table it will be obvious & you will lose your shirt.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#10 » by 7-Day Dray » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:58 pm

W. Unseld wrote:My main problem was with the process of this trade. Why not wait for Manning & Flynn to land so there are fewer teams to bid against? Why not let the vetting process play out a little more? I doubt you find out anything bad about RG3 but you might & you also might find out something good about another prospect that you don't have to give up anything for. Also there are some good qbs scheduled to come out next year. It just wreaks of impatience & overpayment. If you aren't willing to walk away from the negotiation table it will be obvious & you will lose your shirt.

We had to pull the trigger now because I'm hearing that there were many other teams just starting to get into the RG3 sweepstakes, including Cleveland. We needed to do a deal quick, or another team could've dealed for him.
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#11 » by Illuminaire » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:41 pm

The rumor mill says that Cleveland set the price, bidding almost as high, and the Skins came in at the last minute to top them.

I agree with your assessment, NoD... if RG3 is only a top-15 QB, it wasn't worth it. It's not crippling, but it will hurt us for years. We'll probably end up as a weak playoff team with too many flaws to get far, and some years won't even make the playoffs. Which is to say... what we've been for the last decade.

If RG3 is the real deal, then "weak playoff team" is our baseline and we'll just get better from there. That's the hope, and the excitement, behind getting a potential franchise QB. Just because those fail more than they pan out shouldn't scare us away from making the big ballsy trade - we've been going home for years, it's time to go big. :)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:46 pm

And it means that the skins are going to have to go back and rely heavily on free agents - not just this offseason - but the next one and the next one. I thought the plan was to get out of that mode. It's disappointing, because they had a great draft last year - for the first time in so long.

Oh well, I hope I'm wrong - and this works out with multiple SB appearances with RG3 in a Skins uni.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,883

Post#13 » by Wizardspride » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Some Skins fans are acting as if we gave up our entire drafts for years to come.

Here are the selections for the next few years.....and remember, we might also have some more compensatory picks.

2012: 1,3,4,4,5,6,7

2013: 2,3,4,5,6,7,7

2014: 2,3,4,5,6,7

And you also need to take into account the fact that we had 12 DRAFT picks last season..not to mention an undrafted fa.

And most of those guys contributed.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizardspride » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 am

http://profootballzone.com/nfl/report-r ... ight-away/

According to ProFootballWeekly.com, the Washington Redskin are expected to go right after Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson as soon as free agency kicks off on Tuesday.

From the way it sounds, the Redskins are expected to right away make Jackson an offer he cannot refuse. They clearly need a big-time target, now that they’ve landed the second overall pick in April’s draft, which will likely lead to them drafting quarterback Robert Griffin III.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#15 » by Illuminaire » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:05 am

Now that, I'm not so sure about. Big name, big ego receivers are not the best way to go, imho.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizardspride » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Illuminaire wrote:Now that, I'm not so sure about. Big name, big ego receivers are not the best way to go, imho.

The Skins desperately need a number one receiver....as well as a deep threat.

Vincent Jackson fits the bill.
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#17 » by Hawaii » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm loving this move; I was worried that Snyder & Co. were gonna get caught up in the Peyton hype, and if we're gonna gamble, I'd rather put my money on RG3 at this point. The idea of going after Vincent Jackson is a good one, too...give him someone solid to throw to. I'd also like to see them get a veteran secondary receiver, maybe someone like Houshmandzadeh or Hines Ward.

Ehhh, just re-checked the 'Skins WR roster, and maybe a secondary receiver isn't necessary; I still think both Anthony Armstrong and Brandon Banks can do good with us, and Gaffney showed some promise last year. Is Moss still gonna be around?
Illuminaire
Veteran

Post#18 » by Illuminaire » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Jackson has tremendous skill but also tremendous drama factor. He does not work hard. He is not a reliable option when he doesn't feel like playing hard.

He's the biggest name out there, but he's not the best option.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Rafael122 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Actually Vincent Jackson is well regarded around the league as a hard worker. He practices and plays hard. Only thing is that he's one DUI arrest or whatever from being suspended for a year.

But he's the number one receiver in my view. Colston and Manningham are more like #2s and #3s. Jackson is a legit top receiver. We only need one, re-sign Gaffney, get Cooley healthy and we've got a solid group of receiving corps.

And about that o-line....

But this trade, they needed to get this done. Had to. We couldn't go another year with a retread at QB. This needed to happen.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#20 » by Severn Hoos » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:11 pm

So wait, they're moving up to draft Justin Blackmon, right?
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose

Return to Washington Football Team