[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

DRAFT: The Day After

Moderator: LyricalRico

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 109

DRAFT: The Day After 

Post#1 » by W. Unseld » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I, like everyone else am a tad flummuxed on the Cousins qb pick in the 4th round. It just sends the wrong message and you could have grabbed an undrafted guy or gotten another toward the end of his career vet. I suppose you could argue it worked for Aikman but I remember that first season it not being clear if it would be Aikman or Walsh.

Let me give some props for what they captured in the undrafted market, including Chase Minnifield from UVA who prior to injury was season as a late first, early second round pick.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... #pagebreak

This guy was also projected to go higher:
Lance Lewis, receiver, East Carolina: The 6-3, 209-pound Lewis last season recorded 60 catches for 600 yards and eight touchdowns.

And I like the sound of this guy but you should click the link and look at the list:
Grant Garne, center, Oklahoma State: The Big 12 offensive lineman of the year, the 6-3, 304-pound Garner started all but one game the last two years.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Re: DRAFT: The Day After 

Post#2 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:29 pm

Don't care about the Cousins pick. Only fans will make a big deal out of it.

It's not Mike's problem that fans are fickle and would create controversy when there is none.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,806

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:59 pm

I was in Atlantic City, so thanks Wes for starting this thread. Honestly, I was a bit surprised that we took Cousins in the 4th round. However, look at who are backups are: Rex Grossman and John Beck. Beck has been cut already. I would assume Kirk starts as 3rd string, and will work his way up to being a backup next season. Here's my thing, eventually we were going to have to take a backup quarterback anyway, either through free agency or through the draft. Our backup QB situation has improved immediately. Put it this way, Cousins could be trade bait in a year or two when a team needs a quarterback.

Second, keep your eye on Keenan Robinson and Compton, those two could probably start in a year or two. Potential starters right there. Honestly, I see all draft picks sticking onto the team or practice squad. It wasn't a home run draft like last year, but overall it was solid. Team got younger.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#4 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:03 am

From the Zards board.

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I understand the rationale for trying to jump start the other boards, but for the love of Elvin Hayes, why don't we just get our Skins fix here?

Don't mind the Cousins pick, think we reached for a bunch of backup linemen.

Like Minnifield ALOT.

Cousins pick is a non-story, so sick of fake controversy with this team. He slipped and was the best player available, with a little exposure he makes a fine trade asset even if you never need him. (Hope...) You needed something other than John Beck and unless a Danny lawsuit shakes loose a little salary cap room you're better off picking up a bargain back-up on a cheapass rookie deal than trying to recruit someone with experience. Why not groom him for the system now.

On the back-up O-line. Disagree on the reaches and I'll tell you why. My insitnct is always to say I would much rather pull an experienced savvy veteran O-line to protect our franchise future, but again we don't have the cash and actually I think I can see what the ShannAllen brain trust is doing here.

The guys selected all have one thing in common: fast reactions, good technique, good fit for the zone blocking scheme. I can't pretend to know jack-diddly about faceless linemen from Wherethehellla U. But reading scouting reports on each of them all gives the same basic profile: smart fast scrappy, occasionally undersized good fit for a quick zone block scheme.

Shannahanigins always made do in Denver with an undersized smart but athletic line. Defenses hated playing against them because they were constantly cutting you and submarine-ing you and chipping away at your legs instead of manning up in a standard armored sumo wrestler style. RG3 is going to be in motion a ton. Jake Plummer, Elway, Steve Young when MikeShan was coordinator for the 9ers all roll to throw, roll to run, bootleg to throw, etc. Linemen who are huge fatties are going to exhaust themselves trying to constantly chase a moving pocket or dive to the ground and pick themselves up all game long. I like that the ShannyAllen braintrust is selecting for a core of young scrappy smart linemen with something to prove. If we pick up depth here and interchangeabliliy we can shuffle them in and out and remain fresh late in the game when the Defense is dragging their tongues from trying to chase chase chase and hurdle all game long.

So. Basically last year's productive 12 player haul meant that I didn't hate losing a pick or two this year, but late-rounds you always get your best unseen bargains in unknown O-linemen since what they do is relatively subtle and unappreciated unless you really know your stuff. I'm comfortable not knowing any of these guys so long as it looks like there's an actual plan.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,208

Post#5 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Personally I don't get all this "oh we need a player who can contribute."

Not a football fan, but what I saw last season was a decent team that lacked a quality qb. So we went out and got a franchise qb. We don't need a fourth round receiver. We don't need running backs. You know? Throw RGIII out there with last year's roster and see where our real needs are. And we do need a backup qb. Every once in awhile he'll have to start due to a hopefully minor RGIII injury and show what he's capable of and we'll trade him for picks.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:27 pm

This team won 5 games with **** at the QB position. Receivers corps is better, QB position has been upgraded. 7-8 win sat least, at least. Defense is already top 10, bu still holes at the safety position in my view.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#7 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Skins signed Chase Minnifield. I'm happy.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#8 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue May 1, 2012 2:58 am

Thanks Doc for beaming me over here.

It is tough to know from the scouting reports, and it's not like I have spent nights analyzing SMU tapes... But the Skins did seem to overvalue a couple of the picks... It seems as if Delabia (delillo? Delightful?) or whatever his name is could have been had in the 6th or seventh round.

Like the kid from Texas though... And LOVE Minnifield if his knee eventually recovers. Kid is a legit ballhawk and is extremely intelligent.
In Rizzo we trust
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Tue May 1, 2012 1:16 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Thanks Doc for beaming me over here.

It is tough to know from the scouting reports, and it's not like I have spent nights analyzing SMU tapes... But the Skins did seem to overvalue a couple of the picks... It seems as if Delabia (delillo? Delightful?) or whatever his name is could have been had in the 6th or seventh round.

Like the kid from Texas though... And LOVE Minnifield if his knee eventually recovers. Kid is a legit ballhawk and is extremely intelligent.

I'm not one to question Shanny's offensive line picks. I think Josh was picked this early because he fits the scheme and not because he was necessarily the best o-lineman available (which he wasn't).
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#10 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed May 2, 2012 2:56 am

I'm real ambivalent about the zone blocking scheme.

Positive: don't need great athletes on OL. Can make due with average backs as long as they are patient and have a bit of a burst. When in rhythm, can produce a running game that is great between the 20s. Sets up misdirection and bootlegs nicely.

Negative: not great in red zone. Can't assert your will on an opponent. Weak, no leverage linemen hamper kicking game by allowing surge. No place for assemblage of oxen that can just run over you if need be.

Running the zone blocking scheme meant picking Trent Jah Williams over Russel Okung and LeWhatever over Bobbie Massie. Also, If the Shenangans go, it would require yet another complete rebuild.
In Rizzo we trust
Badatude
Senior
And1: 97

Post#11 » by Badatude » Mon May 7, 2012 11:09 pm

Go big or go home.
Zone blocking
?running back?
let the QB score the TDs.
Today's NFL
Badatude