[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Chris Cooley released

Moderator: LyricalRico

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Chris Cooley released 

Post#1 » by verbal8 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Not a shocking move, but still a little disappointing to see the Captain Chaos era come to an end. I can't think of anyone who was more "Mr. Redskin" during his Skin career than Chris Cooley.

I hope he is able to find a starting job somewhere.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Re: Chris Cooley released 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm

The only thing surprising for me was the timing. It seemed that the writing was on the wall once they moved Niles Paul to TE and started throwing around the Shannon Sharpe references. I guess they kept Cooley around in case the Paul experiment failed, but I would have liked to see them release him sooner. At this point, most rosters are set and most of the FA dollars have been paid out. He may have had a better shot to catch on with somebody and/or get one last decent payday if this had happened in the Spring.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#3 » by verbal8 » Sun Sep 2, 2012 12:43 pm

LyricalRico wrote:The only thing surprising for me was the timing. It seemed that the writing was on the wall once they moved Niles Paul to TE and started throwing around the Shannon Sharpe references. I guess they kept Cooley around in case the Paul experiment failed, but I would have liked to see them release him sooner. At this point, most rosters are set and most of the FA dollars have been paid out. He may have had a better shot to catch on with somebody and/or get one last decent payday if this had happened in the Spring.

If he is just looking at back-up jobs, I wonder if he comes back to the Skins? It would be great for Cooley fans, however it might be a distraction for the team. I think the most likely scenario is a team with a young QB picks him up to upgrade their receiving options.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,806

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Wed Sep 5, 2012 9:24 pm

He's been battling injuries the last 2-3 years, body is breaking down. The writing was on the wall, plus with the emergence of Fred Davis, wasn't necessary to carry two high priced tight ends.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#5 » by Hawaii » Fri Sep 7, 2012 8:58 am

Wasn't a huge surprise, but sad to see him go. He was a good guy to have on our team. I believe it's a money thing, so if he'd come back on the cheap I'd be all for it.
Badatude
Senior
And1: 97

Post#6 » by Badatude » Sun Sep 9, 2012 12:38 pm

When Davis was drafted I was worried about Cooleys health. Had a bad feeling. Still sad to see him go.

Return to Washington Football Team