[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

2013 NFL Draft (Redskins Edition)

Moderator: LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,806

2013 NFL Draft (Redskins Edition) 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:37 pm

Washington will not have a first round pick this year due to the Robert Griffin trade. If they did, however, it would be pick #22, around that ball park. Barring a trade and unless you're a draft geek like me, there's no reason to watch the first round next Thursday.

Rounds 2 and 3 are next Friday night, but I will be at a Nats game so I will miss it. They have a total of 7 draft picks

2nd round: 51st overall
3rd round: 85th overall
4th round: 119th overall
5th round: 154th overall
5th round: 162nd overall
6th round: 191st overall
7th round: 228th overall

Skins traded back a couple of times last year so I wouldn't be shocked if they traded their 2nd round pick to acquire a later pick in the second round and maybe grab a 4th rounder as well.

NEEDS: Right tackle, free safety, strong safety, cornerback

Arguably, in no specific order these are our biggest needs. We could probably use some depth at the running back position, and inside/outside linebacker position as well. This team is by no means set, but they need depth.

I'll edit this post later on with potential draft targets.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 2013 NFL Draft (Redskins Edition) 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:06 pm

One name I've heard about is DJ Swearinger, safety out of South Carolina who could be a target with the 51st pick. This kid is a hard hitter, I believe he got suspended for a game because he hit a defenseless receiver. Definitely worth a look at 51, and could potentially be our long term starter. Wouldn't be surprised if he racked up fines in the pros though, not necessarily a head hunter but the line is blurry when it comes to what's deemed a dirty/clean hit.

Also heard of DJ Hayden's name being brought up, as a possible 3rd round pick. Almost died of a heart ailment so he is on the road to recovery but definitely a guy to keep an eye on in Day 3 of the draft.

David Amerson of NC State, Blidi Wreh-Wilson from UCONN and Robert Alford of SE Louisiana are potential targets for us in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Personally, Shanahan loves running backs. I would not be surprise if he took a flier on Marcus Lattimore in the 5th round. Let him rehab his knee, have him sit out the year and then come back strong next season. Lattimore was probably a 2nd round pick at the least before his injury.

And as I said earlier, there's always the potential to trade down a bit in the 2nd to pick up an extra 4th or 5th round pick. The draft is deep with defensive backs, entirely possible they can find a starter or two.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:45 am

Interesting first round, players dropped, players who thought were first round picks didn't get picked, such as Geno Smith, Te'o, Matt Elam and Jonathan Cyprien.

Here's my best available based on need:

Safety:
1. Jonthan Cyprien
2. DJ Swearinger

Corner:
1. Johnathan Banks
2. Jamar Taylor
3. Robert Alford

Inside Linebacker:
1. Manti Te'o
2. Kevin Minter

Defensive End:
1. Damontre Moore
2. Tank Carradine
3. Margus Hunt

Still a long way to go to #51. I expect most of these guys to be gone by the time we pick.

Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Geno Smith, Eddie Lacy are guys to keep an eye on as well who will get picked before us which might knock some guys down. Keenan Allen, Robert Woods as well.

Who knows, if we get Swearinger in the 2nd, we should be dancing.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#4 » by CJ_18 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Immediately after the first round ended last night, first thing I thought was "it would be amazing if we could somehow scoop up Cyprien now that hes fallen out of the first. Some guys had him as the best safety (ahead of Vacarro) after his senior bowl appearance. I doubt he falls all the way to 51 but if he does fall a little bit more (into the 40s), I would love to see the Skins move up a bit to snatch him up.

I dont know anything about Swearinger... You mentioned Hayden above as a mid round possibility, but that guy was an absolute stud and once he got medically cleared he was a sure-fire first rounder. I'd like to see them go DB with their 2nd rounder.. then look to add depth with their remaining picks. Other than safety, theres no real glaring need that needs to be addressed where we need to find someone who can come in and start immediately. Front 7 depth (big boys to add stoutness up front), Oline depth, maybe an extra young reciever/ corner.

EDIT: For comparison, Mike Mayock gave Cyprien a 90 grade, Vaccaro a 88, Swearinger a 82.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Great breakdown, guys! Let's see what happens tonight. Any thoughts on potential trades?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:44 am

Another TE? Really??

Wonder what that says about what they expect from Fred Davis...
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Okay, they just picked up what looks to be a playmaking safety - Philip Thomas from Fresno State. I'd like to see them take an OL next, and then another DB after that.

No more tight ends! :banghead:
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,418

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:10 am

LyricalRico wrote:Another TE? Really??

Wonder what that says about what they expect from Fred Davis...

Davis coming off injury, may or may not be 100%. Really this only says they had the guy rated as the highest best value period. Versatile athlete, etc. Recall Shanahan really likes open competition, consider how he always likes a platoon of running backs fighting each other for a roster slot. Imagine if he turns out to be a better player than Fred Davis and either of the 'pauls'. Imagine if we'd dismissed Alfred Morris last year under the same argument. We need cheap upgrades all over, have to do much on a bargain, due to league shenanigans.

Here's what I think they see: versatile athlete who can confuse the helloutta opponents since he has lined up as tight end, H-back, wide receiver, and even started his college career as a top-rated quarterback. I think Kyle figures to get tricky and even allow him to pitch the ball in gimmick packages. Yet another way to protect RGIII with misdirection opening up lanes and angles and space for him to get loose.

Personally, considering the solid ratio of draft hits vs misses put up by the Allen/Shanny trust I'm happy to give the benefit of the doubt, granted we're grading against the rest of the league not against Vinny Cerratto and Snyder, so so far I like the ratio of hits vs misses under the current regime.

Looks to me like we got great value in our other defensive backfield picks. Two safeties with track record of ballhawking, plus a tall quick cornerback who may be able to start right out the gate. Fine with me.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:55 am

I thought the Redskins had an excellent draft. Baccari Rambo was seen as maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick but we picked him up in the 6th round, are you kidding me? I actually thought he was gonna be our pick in the 3rd round. Him and Thomas are interchangeable at the safety position, they can bring Merriweather back slowly since he is coming off the ACL and Tanard Jackson becomes expendable should be act up. Don't forget Reed Doughty who is pretty solid in the box. The secondary got improved big time, w/out having to trade back and with only 6 draft picks.

Further, I really like the Chris Thompson pick. I saw a few FSU games last season. This kid can ball, a burner. If healthy, he easily becomes our change of pace back, and probably will play on teams. Royster and Helu have been put on notice.

I honestly think the Skins got at least 3 starters out of this draft, with the rest being depth and playing on teams. Very good draft.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,418

Post#10 » by doclinkin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Article on versatile "U" tight ends or "move' tight ends, like Jordan Reed. With good clips showing his skilset.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Reed has got to work on his blocking a bit but I think it was a solid choice. I doubt Davis is back next season unless he blows up this year. Cooley is gone, leaving us with Paulsen and Niles Paul who just converted to the position.

Keep your eye out for Xavier Nixon, UDFA signing, might might make the team.

I'm actually looking forward to next season because we'll have cap room and won't have to soley rely on the draft to get better.

Return to Washington Football Team