[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official 2013 Training Camp & Preseason Thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Official 2013 Training Camp & Preseason Thread 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 pm

It's finally here!!!

:rockon:

Here are a few links to get everybody primed:

What to look for in Richmond: http://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutg ... story.html

Rich Campbell's position breakdowns: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/red ... -safeties/

And of course, all eyes will be on RGIII.

GO SKINS!!!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,806

Re: Official 2013 Training Camp Thread 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:06 pm

RG 3 will not play in the preseason, so hopefully Cousins plays well enough to increase his trade value.

Adam Carriker is going in for another surgery. I think he's going to get cut.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Re: Official 2013 Training Camp & Preseason Thread 

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 8, 2013 2:38 pm

First pre-season game tonight!

Image Image

WHO: Skins at Titans
WHEN: August 8th, 8 pm
WHERE: LP Field

Big Question: Who will get more reps - Rex Grossman or Pat White?

Go Skins! :clap:
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,883

Post#4 » by Wizardspride » Thu Aug 8, 2013 7:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing Helu (who has looked great from what heard).

Also we'll be starting three rookies in the secondary tonight.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 8, 2013 8:19 pm

Wizardspride wrote:Looking forward to seeing Helu (who has looked great from what heard).

Wow, totally forgot about him. If he can stay healthy (and hasn't lost a step), he'd be a nice addition to the running back rotation. We've needed a guy with speed that can catch out of the backfield for...well...ever.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Thu Aug 8, 2013 10:16 pm

Just hoping for good health coming out of this game, and for Cousins to increase his trade value!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Fri Aug 9, 2013 3:56 am

Thomas has a foot injury, but other than that it looks like everyone came out of it unscathed.

I liked Kirk Cousins' performance tonight. He looked so comfortable running the offense, and to me this is a good thing about the preseason, if he has another 2 games like this, Skins should jump at the chance at trading this guy in the offseason and at least try and get back a second round pick.

Fred Davis looked really good coming back off the Achilles injury. He's going to be a solid weapon for RG 3. Davis was sorely missed, in my view, down the stretch as Griffin's safety net.

I liked Helu's performance. I was salivating at the mouth thinking about the potential of a 1-2 tandem between Morris and Helu. Morris is the grinder, Helu can kill you with his speed, and the vision that kid has is really good.

What I didn't like was our run defense, it got shredded early on.

Penalties also seemed to be a problem tonight.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Fri Aug 9, 2013 12:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:What I didn't like was our run defense, it got shredded early on.

Seemed like most of the early gashes were to Orakpo's side. They showed especially on the long TD run that he took a bad angle. He probably still has some rust to work off, and communication with the rest of the group to work out.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 110

Post#9 » by W. Unseld » Fri Aug 9, 2013 3:18 pm

Agree on Cousins, I would have liked to have seen more of him, most teams don't protect their back up qb that much which makes my paranoid self wonder about RG3's rehab again.

Orakpo was killed by BMitch in pregame and I now have a different view of him (being the weak-minded easily manipulated soul that I am). It does look like he really only has one good move with no counter. His bull rush move isn't nearly as effective as his edge rush. I don't think he will get hooked repeatedly on run playes b/c he's a smart player but last night wasn't great in that regard.

The secondary looked terrible in run support but they looked pretty good in coverage--assuming Locker wasn't helping them to look good.

Hankerson looked better than I thought he would and Alderick Robinson looked worse.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Rafael122 » Fri Aug 9, 2013 7:04 pm

W. Unseld wrote:Agree on Cousins, I would have liked to have seen more of him, most teams don't protect their back up qb that much which makes my paranoid self wonder about RG3's rehab again.

Orakpo was killed by BMitch in pregame and I now have a different view of him (being the weak-minded easily manipulated soul that I am). It does look like he really only has one good move with no counter. His bull rush move isn't nearly as effective as his edge rush. I don't think he will get hooked repeatedly on run playes b/c he's a smart player but last night wasn't great in that regard.

The secondary looked terrible in run support but they looked pretty good in coverage--assuming Locker wasn't helping them to look good.

Hankerson looked better than I thought he would and Alderick Robinson looked worse.

Pundits have already said the Skins can probably get at least a first rounder for Cousins. The less he plays, the more value he has. Coaching staff shouldn't put Cousins out there any longer than he should be. Play him as a start meaning Week 1 he goes a series or two, Week 2 he gets a quarter, Week 3 he gets a half, Week 4 he doesn't play. Cousins knows he's auditioning for about 10 teams right now, who don't have a QB.

If they do trade him for a 1, that would make that RG 3 trade much more reasonable. Essentially just trading away an extra first rounder as opposed to 2.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Griffin finally back to 11-on-11 in practice.

It's not uncommon for No. 10 to be the focal point of practice, but today drew increased interest as Robert Griffin III returned to 11-on-11 drills for the first time in practice this year.

Running the offense out of the Pistol and Shotgun formations, as well as under center and off of play action, Griffin III completed seven-of-10 passes on 16 snaps.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events ... d98ac803dd

As long as he has no setbacks, this means he'll have almost a month of full practice to get ready for the season. Things look to be on track for Week One (for better or worse).
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:31 am

Phillip Thomas out for the year w/lisfranc surgery so our safety corps just got weaker. Looking like Merriweather and Rambo will be the starters. Gomes and Doughty would be the backups, with possibly Tanard Jackson as well.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Phillip Thomas out for the year w/lisfranc surgery so our safety corps just got weaker. Looking like Merriweather and Rambo will be the starters. Gomes and Doughty would be the backups, with possibly Tanard Jackson as well.

Ouch, that hurts. Also heard that Merriweather is progressing much more slowly from his ACL than Griffin is, so we might have to put his name in pencil. Do we know if Jackson expects to be reinstated?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#14 » by LyricalRico » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Second pre-season game tonight!

Image Image

WHO: Skins vs Steelers
WHEN: August 19th, 8 pm
WHERE: FedEx Field

Big Question: Can we avoid more injuries in the secondary?

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Rafael122 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:51 pm

A few notes and observations from last night's game:

Our front 7 is going to be sick. I didn't think Jenkins was going to make any sort of impact, but it sounds like he's going to be in nickel/dime/blitz packages with he, Kerrigan and Orakpo.

Hankerson reminds me a lot of 50/50 Rod Gardner. You won't know if he'll catch half the passes thrown to him.

Helu, if healthy will be a great weapon. His vision is sick.

Polumbus is horrible. That right tackle spot will probably be the top priority next offseason.

Rambo needs to make better open field tackles. Apparently Ryan Clark set him aside and was tutoring him on some stuff.

Other than injuries and penalties, I thought the team played well. Hopefully they find a way to keep Pat White on the practice squad or something.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 110

Post#16 » by W. Unseld » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Rafael, I totally agree on Hankerson, hope he proves me wrong but that is who he reminds me of the most.

Polumbus will be less of an issue if we have a healthy/mobile RG3 but I agree it needs to be addressed.

I'm disappointed in Pat White, I thought RG1 (Rex Grossman) looked better than he did last night.

Kerrigan is beasting, hope Orakpo plays in the 3rd preseason game.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Third pre-season game coming up!

Image Image

WHO: Skins vs Bills
WHEN: August 24th, 4:30 pm
WHERE: FedEx Field

Big Question: Will this be a true "dress rehearsal" with no RGIII or Cousins?

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by LyricalRico » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Richard Crawford out for the season.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Rafael122 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Crawford tore his ACL, MCL, and LCL. I think that's worse than the RG 3 injury. I tried to watch this game twice yesterday and fell asleep both times. Preseason football is boring!
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by LyricalRico » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:51 pm

Yeah, that's total reconstruction territory there. I was actually pretty surprised when they reported ligament damage because I don't even remember seeing the injury. I remember they showed him sitting on the trainer's table behind the bench as they went to a commercial break, but I don't recall them stopping play and him having to be helped off the field. Just one of those freak things, I guess.

Return to Washington Football Team