[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

GRADING THE PICK & THEN THE DRAFT

Moderator: LyricalRico

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

GRADING THE PICK & THEN THE DRAFT 

Post#1 » by W. Unseld » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Grade it based on the position the Skins were in, do not give it the auto-"F" for putting themselves in that position. The grade is based solely on the pick, Leron Landry:

My grade: B flat. This is a lot of $$$ to have at the safety position. On the other hand there is a strong argument that he was bpa and that this takes a weakness (the secondary) and turns it into a strength. Also, this might give them some leverage to show Springs the door and free up some cap room.

As for the draft over all, save all of the draft day kool aid, I don't see anyone that has immediately helped themselves all that much. Russell has question marks and Detroit is still Detroit even with CJ. Miami might have totally screwed the pooch.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:54 pm

Word is the Lions will be dealing Mike Williams for a pick. That makes a little more sense but they still need a QB and a RB (unless Kevin Jones can stay healthy).

Miami = morons.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#3 » by MF23 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:43 pm

In the cover 2 Landry is a good player to have.
B on him

P. Willie will be a better player and should have been the pick but having LL and ST can give the defense a lot of flexability

D on the draft as a whole. Do better with the picks! I am excited to see Landry though. Reminds me of Brian Dawkins.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by W. Unseld » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:51 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Word is the Lions will be dealing Mike Williams for a pick. That makes a little more sense but they still need a QB and a RB (unless Kevin Jones can stay healthy).

Miami = morons.

At this point it looks like the Lions are keeping him. And :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: that Dallas picked up an early second rounder and what's likely to be a high pick next year. Question: Who is backing up Romo? He's about to be in a new systed for the first time in his pro career and his contract was only for one year.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,834

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:03 pm

I would have traded back into the first round and either picked up one of the offensive linemen (Grubbs or Staley) or drafted another tackle, but after seeing teams like Cleveland giving up next year's first, as well as San Francisco, two teams who have to be good enough to not get a top 10 pick next season, and it's a risk. At this rate, taking Alan Branch in the 2nd round is a high risk/high reward but if it pays off, you have solved your secondary and defensive line issues on the first day.

As for the Landry pick. I'm not against it but I can see why it needed to be done. Nobody wanted to trade up, Vikings wanted Peterson and Miami went another way, so he was the best player available and I have read he is the Calvin Johnson on defense.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#6 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:17 am

If you, my fellow posters, knew we could have Briggs and Branch instead of Landry, would you have pulled the trigger on that trade?
In Rizzo we trust
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#7 » by Higga » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:16 am

I give Brady Quinn's girlfriend an A+. God I want to **** the hell out of her.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
artichokes
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#8 » by artichokes » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:54 am

B for Beast Mode. LaRon's hits are sick.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#9 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:37 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:If you, my fellow posters, knew we could have Briggs and Branch instead of Landry, would you have pulled the trigger on that trade?

Landry is the safest pick in the draft. Briggs and Branch both have high bust potential.

Landry for me. The 2004 defense is back. We never had a pass rushing Dline back then. but we did have a stud secondary which let Gregg Williams blitz.

Landry and Taylor. :bowdown:
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by W. Unseld » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:53 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:If you, my fellow posters, knew we could have Briggs and Branch instead of Landry, would you have pulled the trigger on that trade?

That wasn't the deal. That's the deal the Skins offered, but Chicago wanted Rocky Mcintosh to boot.

Oh, and the Pats picking up Moss for a freakin' 4th round pick? Even if he can only pull together a couple of big games for you over the next two seasons it's still worth while.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#11 » by Scabs304 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:31 pm

I was going to give the pick a C but his name is Laron so I had to atleast give him an B-. I really don't like the pick I believe we would of been better suited going D-Line if we couldn't find a trade partner and getting a few extra picks this year and a late first next year. Laron Landry is another big time safety and should improve are defense but not sure if I want to have that money put into the safeties.
I am Scabs.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by W. Unseld » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:44 pm

I can't figure out the rest of our draft--I didn't think we were weak at LB but at least we apparently got some good value at LB for those picks.

QB? A little early to be bringing in real competition for Campbell.
TE? Fine but what about the d*mn pass rush.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:24 pm

All reports are coming from www.nfldraftcountdown.com.

H.B. Blades - 7th ranked ILB:

Strengths:
Has a solid build and great strength...Very instinctive with an excellent feel for the game...Versatile with experience both inside and outside...Reliable tackler...Good ball skills...Is quick and plays faster than he times...Works his way through traffic and makes plays laterally...Was extremely productive...Tough and plays through pain...Hard worker and team leader with great intangibles...Has good bloodlines.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the height you'd prefer...Timed speed is only average at best...Is not a great natural athlete and his range is limited...Sub par in coverage...Doesn't take on blockers well and struggles to disengage...Has some durability concerns.

Notes:
Father, Bennie, was an All-Pro with the Detroit Lions and his uncles, Brian and Al, also played in the NFL...The type who won't blow you away with his measurables but when the game starts he's constantly around the ball and making plays...Will be overlooked to a degree due to his lack of eye-popping physical tools but don't be surprised if he ends up being a steal for someone and has a nice, long career.

Sounds like he could be a backup linebacker once Lemar Marshall leaves via free agency (and don't fool yourself, this is the last year on his deal and he's most likely gone). Looks like he'll initially be a special teams player.

Dallas Sartz - 14th ranked OLB

Strengths:
Has a good frame with long arms and could easily add some weight...Smart with great instincts...Reads and reacts quickly...Smooth and fluid in coverage...He has excellent range...A terrific motor...Still has upside...Great special teams potential.

Weaknesses:
Is undersized and needs to bulk up...He is not a great tackler...Must get stronger and be more physical...Speed is very average and he lacks a burst...Durability is a big concern...Struggles in space...He does not really like to engage with blockers.

Notes:
His father, Jeff, played safety at Oregon St...His grandfather, also named Dallas, was a Golden Gloves boxer at Washington State and a professional hydroplane racer...Could also project to safety in the pros...Missed the majority of the 2005 season with a dislocated shoulder...Nice player...A candidate for the strongside.

Again, he will probably be a special teams player but if he's developed properly, he might be a backup.

Jordan Palmer - 11th ranked QB

Strengths:
Has prototypical size...Was extremely productive...Team captain who shows some leadership ability...Tough, strong and relatively durable considering the beating he took at times behind a sub par offensive line...Accurate with good touch when he's not being pressured...Still has some upside...A lot of his weaknesses can be addressed with good coaching...You can't ignore the family history and pedigree.

Weaknesses:
Throws way too many interceptions...Field vision is questionable and he will force throws...Technique and mechanics are inconsistent and need a lot of work...Does not stand up to pressure well...Is not very mobile and will not hurt defenses with his feet...Arm strength is adequate but not special...He might be too easy going.

Notes:
Brother of Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, who won the Heisman Trophy and is a former #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft...Nickname is "J.P."...Is not nearly the prospect that some make him out to be and a lot of that has to do with his bloodlines...Certainly has some physical tools to develop and he could thrive in the right situation but it's too much to expect him to be as good as his brother is.

This guy screams project, so I'm hoping Saunders sticks around so he can develop this guy.

Tyler Ecker - 19th ranked Tight End

Strengths:
Has a good frame and there is room to add weight...Excellent hands...Knows how to get open...Hard worker with a good motor...Will high point balls...Still has some upside...Real nice body control and ball skills...He's naturally athletic...Aggressive.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the ideal bulk that you look for...Needs to get stronger...Was not very productive...Provides little in terms of running after the catch...He is not fast, quick or explosive...Lacks a burst...Older than most prospects...Average blocker.

Notes:
Took a redshirt in 2000 and then he left school for two years to serve a Mormon mission...Was not given many opportunities to shine in the Wolverine offense...A bit of a sleeper...Hails from a program known for sending tight ends to the pros.

Training camp fodder, if that. I'll try to get some more information on these guys from ESPN's scouting department. I expect the team will look at undrafted free agents to address defensive and offensive line needs.

I really like the Blades pick.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:46 pm

Some more information from http://www.nfl.com/draft/analyzer/WAS

Landry - Terrific matchup safety. Athletic enough to cover a third wide receiver. Could handle a guy like Brian Westbrook in man coverage, which has been a problem. Brings 315 tackles and 12 interceptions in college. Atlanta was hoping he was going to be there when it selected. Unless they make a trade, the Redskins will not pick again until No. 143 (Round 5).

Sartz - This is a versatile utility player. He has played safety, inside linebacker, outside linebacker and has stepped up to the line of scrimmage in some schemes. For a team like Washington, which likes to use all kinds of looks, he
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#15 » by LyricalRico » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:58 pm

All in all sounds like a nice draft. I'll give it a "C" just because we didn't have many picks but I'm comfortable with the players selected.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#16 » by WashWiz54 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:28 pm

If only Ben Patrick had fell one spot...

Damn you Arizona! However they had an amazing draft.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#17 » by WashWiz54 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:43 pm

Oh and my grade for this draft C-.

Landry a good pick but Okoye would have been better.

A project QB? Not needed especially since we had so few picks. Justin Rasgatti would have been fine.

Two LB's? Ehh one cool but two? Pass.

Now this will go to an A+++++ if we sign undrafted FA Walter Thomas.

Read about him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/sports/football/25nfl.html?ref=sports&pagewanted=print
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by W. Unseld » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:59 pm

Washwiz, can you give a link that works, I want to read about this guy.

Also, the d*mn Bucs took the sleeper DE from North Carolina Central two spots ahead of the Skins in the 5th which chapped me but I probably would have been more chapped had he been there and the Skins passed over him.

On the linebacker front the only thing I can think is that Marshall is a cap casualty this year, if he only has one year left it won't hurt them to cut him. They must not think Rocky is ready if they went out and got Fletcher and then drafted two linebackers when they only had 4 picks.

As for Palmer, he's probably worth a look, this will probably spell the end for Collins but it would probably be better if Brunell just went into the front office so he could be closer to Joe. Yep, I'm feeling snarky today.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#19 » by Ed Wood » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 am

The drat was acceptable given the team's general lack of picks and the apparent disinterest on the part of everyone to trade up to the top of the first round. I'd give it a C+ and assume the team didn't recieve any attractive offers to move down from the number six spot.

Landry was a fair value pick at number six, not necessarily the greatest need pick, but not bad. I was fine with his selection, though I was not particularly pleased by it.

Blades was a very productive college player who seems like the type who can overcome his physical limitations and contribute on the professional level.

Sartz could prove to be a handy backup, though like Blades there isn't a great deal of projection outward for him.

It's really impossible to say what Palmer will turn out to be as a professional football player, he certainly isn't going to worry Campbell in the near future.

Ecker might surprise but I'm not really expecting him to make the team at this point.

Walter Thomas is ridiculous. I have to believe some defensive line coach imagines himself the man to mold Walter into a scary scary player.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:07 pm

Some undrafted free agent signings:

Terry Caulley - RB out of UConn
Jesse Wendt - WR out of Wisconsin-Stout
Taylor Sele - WR out of Boston College
Zach Latimer - LB out of Oklahoma

Return to Washington Football Team