[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

RealGM Preview: Washington Redskins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

RealGM Preview: Washington Redskins 

Post#1 » by Icness » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:26 pm

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/249/20070717/2007_season_preview_washington_redskins/

The conclusion:

Prediction: The starters have enough talent to make a quick turnaround. Last year the Skins set an NFL record for their inability to force turnovers, and the defense was 30th in QB pressures. The two quickest ways to turn losses into wins are to improve those two areas, and Washington has enough ability to dramatically improve in both areas. But the lack of depth, the inexperience at QB, and shaky coaching chemistry (the result of too many chefs and not enough waiters) provide a real thin margin for error. If it all clicks quickly the Skins could make a run at 9 wins, a Wild Card, and be a tough playoff out. But a disappointing 7-9 finish and lots of coaching changes next summer is far more likely.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#2 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:17 am

I could pick apart a lot of the things you wrote in there but I won't blame it on you. The things people don't give credit to us are only known to our fans and once the season starts, the rest of the people will see.

Overally I think it was a fair analysis. As a homer fan you only want to see positive things from the media etc. but coming of a 5-11 season won't help your cause. You just gotta earn the respect back on the field.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:17 pm

Overall decent job, certainly better than I expected - not because I doubted your talent but because the Skins are a very misunderstood team. I will point out a couple of things that caught my eye.

First, the article overrates the offensive line. But I guess I can't really deduct points for that because everybody overrates them. They've been living off reputation for years IMO, especially Samuels.

I also noticed where you credit Sean Taylor for making the Pro Bowl under the things you like and then in the things you don't like you say that he didn't earn it on the field. It's like I'm reading something from Bill Walton. Which is it?

I also disagree that Randle El had a bad year. He was asked to do a lot on offense and on special teams. He couldn't get off on trick plays because Saunders' playbook wasn't fooling anybody and although he was open a lot in the first half of the season Brunell couldn't get the ball to him. But I'll agree that Lloyd sucked.

It's good that the coaching chemistry was addressed, so I definitely liked that.

Like I said - overall decent job.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#4 » by Icness » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:40 pm

First, the article overrates the offensive line. But I guess I can't really deduct points for that because everybody overrates them. They've been living off reputation for years IMO, especially Samuels.

Samuels ain't what he used to be, but he's the best LT in his division, and Jansen is so far superior to the other RT in the division it's scary. I am a firm believer in line cohesion, and they've got that. I don't think Todd Wade is going to be as bad as a lot of people. Immobile, yes. But other than Dallas' 3-4 he's going to be alright in most of their games.

I also noticed where you credit Sean Taylor for making the Pro Bowl under the things you like and then in the things you don't like you say that he didn't earn it on the field. It's like I'm reading something from Bill Walton. Which is it?

It's both good and bad. It shows he's got enough potential and enough proven playmaking that he is a Pro Bowl caliber player. But in 2006 he did not play to that level, not even close. The question is--was it a down year, or was it a sign of things to come. I'll say this for Taylor: he was more negatively impacted by Archuleta's failings than most people think, and Gregg Williams did little to help hm out either.

I also disagree that Randle El had a bad year. He was asked to do a lot on offense and on special teams. He couldn't get off on trick plays because Saunders' playbook wasn't fooling anybody and although he was open a lot in the first half of the season Brunell couldn't get the ball to him. But I'll agree that Lloyd sucked.

Fair enough about Randle El. I do think he'll be better this year.

It's good that the coaching chemistry was addressed, so I definitely liked that.

Like I said - overall decent job.

Thanks man!

Return to Washington Football Team