[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Skins vs. Packers

Moderator: LyricalRico

Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Skins vs. Packers 

Post#1 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Oct 8, 2007 1:05 pm

Image vs Image

The Packers offense falls right into the trap Gregg Williams loves to have offenses in. There running game is not consistent and with our linebackers, we can easily shut it down.

Favre has to play a near flawless game for the Pack to win, but with our secondary, I don' think so. They do a lot of slants and routes over the middle. Don't see how long they can do it for, especially when the wideouts see Taylor and Landry closing in.

The problem is that the Packs defense matches up well with us. If we can get either the running game or the passing game going. I see us winning. Green Bay is one dimensional on offense and we're not. Please Al Saunders, open it up this week even more.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#2 » by jmrosenth » Mon Oct 8, 2007 4:55 pm

I was glad to see the Bears knock Favre and the Packers off their media-nuthugging ledge last night. Favre looked OLD in the 2nd half last night. This game is definitely winnable, but TO's will ultimately decide it.

PS: what's up with broke threads getting stickies around here while game threads languish?
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#3 » by Scabs304 » Mon Oct 8, 2007 6:43 pm

I believe this should be a winnable game. Packers aren't as good as alot of folks are saying. There is no way a Bears team playing like there playing should comeback against you if your truly a good team. When I say that I'm reminded of the Giants game so..... Yah whichever team shows up in the 2nd half wins this game. I don't see either team pulling away in the first so that half will almost being meaningless than the eventual outcome of the game.
I am Scabs.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,829

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 8, 2007 9:36 pm

It's a game we should definitely win. The Packers have no running game to speak of, and we're one of the better rushing defenses out there. Their receivers scare me because Farve can throw it deep when the situation calls for it. That's going to be a test for us.

Both defenses are real solid, but I think we have more on offense. Should be a very good game though.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:11 am

Here's some advanced scouting report from ESPN's website:

I'm not sure if we can post the entire article, but I'll take a few sentences from each section:

Why To Watch
Both the Redskins and Packers are one-loss teams playing very good football. That's why to watch! The Redskins are playing well in all phases of the game and seem to be improving each week. Young Redskins QB Jason Campbell has demonstrated that he can run the offense and make the right decisions to put Washington in a position to win games.

The Pack is back and the Green Bay offense is playing like it did a few years ago when QB Brett Favre won Super Bowl XXXI. It's not only Green Bay's offense that is playing well, the defense which has talented players all over the field. This is a matchup between two top teams, which are on track to play in the postseason.

When the Redskins have the ball
Rushing: Washington is very capable of running the ball using all three of its running backs. RB Clinton Portis is the main runner who provides a solid combination of breakaway speed and power. FB Mike Sellers is utilized in short-yardage situations both in blocking for Portis and in carrying the football.

The Packers front seven have been stingy against the run all season with the help of defensive tackles Johnny Jolly and Ryan Pickett. Pickett and Jolly penetrate with power and also adjust on the run well.

Passing: Campbell is playing very well so far this season and he needs to stay consistent at a high level against the Packers' secondary. One of Campbell's favorite receivers, Antwaan Randle El, left the game last weekend with a leg injury and his status is not known yet for the Green Bay game. Randle El provides the Redskins' offense with exceptional quickness and burst, which translates to big plays.

The Packers have their work cut out for them when they face Campbell and the Redskins' receiving corps. Green Bay corners Charles Woodson and Al Harris are having a good season and provide the Packers' defense with the ability to play man coverage.

When the Packers have the ball
Rushing: In order for the Packers to have success against the Washington run defense, RB DeShawn Wynn has to get more carries then he did against the Bears and Green Bay has to be committed to running the ball.

For the Redskins to stop the Green Bay run game, DT Cornelius Griffin and the defensive line have to get penetration against the Packers' offensive line and create different levels on blockers so that ILB London Fletcher and the rest of the Redskins' linebackers can attack the open gaps and make plays behind or at the line of scrimmage.

Passing:If Favre can keep the interceptions to a minimum, or better yet eliminate them, the Packers pass offense will gain yards and put points on the board. That isn't an easy task because they are matched up against a solid Washington secondary that kept Detroit's passing attack at bay all day last weekend. The Packers' offensive line will have their hands full with the Washington pass rush and pressures called by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

The Redskins secondary with Shawn Springs, LaRon Landry, Sean Taylor, and Carlos Rogers along with Fred Smoot are dangerous and athletic. Each one of those guys, if given the opportunity, can take one back to the house.

Special Teams
Field position will be a huge key to winning this game and it will be up to the coverage units of both teams to help the defense have as much green behind them as possible.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#6 » by likwitdesi » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:09 pm

There's the verdict. We just have to keep running it at them and we need to look for Cooley a lot this game because Bigby and Collins have trouble covering tight ends.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#7 » by Flaming Mo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:17 pm

Green Bay's favorite play is the slant to Driver, Jennings and Jones. All of them are exceptionally quick off the snap and have the size to get the ball in front of the coverage. If you take this play away though (or one of the WRs is out like Jennings against the Bears) then you have a good chance against overrated Favre. He will make mistakes as we saw last sunday. Landry and Taylor are guys who can punish people going over the middle and that's what GB likes to do.
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#8 » by Scabs304 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:06 pm

Forunatley we can play a similar style of defense as we played last week to combat the Packers. Take away the middle of the field in the passing game and rush only a few and we should be able to get some pressure.
I am Scabs.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:56 am

John Clayton calls it the second best match of the week:

Washington Redskins at Green Bay Packers: Brett Favre can't let the Redskins come into Lambeau Field and escape with a victory. Last Sunday night against Chicago at Lambeau, he had a 10-point second-half lead. But Favre was intercepted by Brian Urlacher, sparking a Bears rally that kept their season alive and ruined the night for the Packers faithful. So much for the "We can get by without the running game" thoughts.

The Redskins enter with a little more offensive firepower than the Bears and a strong defense. Joe Gibbs has gone back to a more balanced offense, and Jason Campbell has done his part in advancing the passing offense. He should have Santana Moss back after missing a game, but he may not have Antwaan Randle El, who's injured. It doesn't matter. Gibbs won't try to get too tricky in this game. If he can pull off the upset, it will be because the Redskins can run the ball and the Packers can't.

ESPN's Scouts Inc Take 2 on this game:

The Redskins are on a roll and everyone in Washington is playing well, while the Packers are coming off a loss to the Bears in a game they feel got away from them. Lambeau Field is a tough place for a road team to win but the Redskins still get the edge this week. Washington should be able to establish the run game well and control time of possession, and if they stick to their strengths they can get the win. In addition, Washington should be able to keep Favre on the sideline with Turnovers and three-and-out possessions, and avoid it second loss of the season.

Prediction: Redskins 24, Packers 14
KnickTerp12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#10 » by KnickTerp12 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:59 am

Slay Green Bay!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Rafael122 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:29 pm

Randle-El is good to go. Daniels is also playing.

Notable inactives: Caldwell, Marcus Washington.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#12 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Offense played like ass. Defense had another great game.

We need a new coach. Seriously. Joe Gibbs cannot manage the clock.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#13 » by Scabs304 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:16 pm

I wouldn't feel so sick if we got beat, but we've lost two games this year by giving them away.
I am Scabs.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#14 » by LyricalRico » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:44 am

Moss played like a straight sucka today. Dropped passes and the fumble that gave up the go ahead score. If he was scared to play he should have sat out another week.

And what the **** is up with Portis fumbling every week now? I realize that his knee is bothering him but that does that have to do with his hands? Too bad Betts is playing like his old pre-contract year self or I'd be calling for CP to be benched.

It's so frustrating - we FINALLY get a legit QB in here and now we've got under-performing skill players and an offensive line that's becoming injury prone. At least much of the defense is young enough to see through an offensive rebuilding and still be in their primes.

That's right, I said it - OFFENSIVE REBUILDING. The Skins better draft some receivers, linemen and a RB next April. Otherwise it'll just be Campbell, Cooley and Sellers playing with a bunch of bums.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#15 » by Scabs304 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:18 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Moss played like a straight sucka today. Dropped passes and the fumble that gave up the go ahead score. If he was scared to play he should have sat out another week.

And what the **** is up with Portis fumbling every week now? I realize that his knee is bothering him but that does that have to do with his hands? Too bad Betts is playing like his old pre-contract year self or I'd be calling for CP to be benched.

It's so frustrating - we FINALLY get a legit QB in here and now we've got under-performing skill players and an offensive line that's becoming injury prone. At least much of the defense is young enough to see through an offensive rebuilding and still be in their primes.

That's right, I said it - OFFENSIVE REBUILDING. The Skins better draft some receivers, linemen and a RB next April. Otherwise it'll just be Campbell, Cooley and Sellers playing with a bunch of bums.
can you make the next thread and leave this game behind us Lyrical?
I am Scabs.

Return to Washington Football Team