[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Consolidated Offensive Line Injuries Thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Consolidated Offensive Line Injuries Thread 

Post#1 » by Scabs304 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:46 pm

Picked him up from the Jest today. Fills a glaring whole we had in the line. Hope he has time to mesh with the offensive unit so he can be a capable starter. I'm glad this happend now so he has 2 preseason games to get worked in with the unit. He'll have a good test in his first game against the Ravens.

Also let me say this I've never been very aware of OL that aren't on the Skins and don't see enough of most teams to make conclussions about them. When will Pancakes and Sacks Allowed and blow ups in the running game be more mainstream so I can at least have a little statistical analysis when we make acquisitions along the Line.
I am Scabs.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,884

Post#2 » by Jose7 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:25 pm

gave up a 4th and 5th to get him :lol:
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#3 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:18 pm

[quote="Jose7
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:49 am

I like the move, it fills a glaring need at left guard and it gives us at least 2 years to find an adequate replacement. We give up a 4th round pick in 2009, so we still have our 2008 picks in tact. It seemed as though he signed a 2 year extension though the AP says he signed a 2 year contract. We've probably got one of the best guard and tackle tandems in football right now.

And do keep in mind, a 4th round pick in 2009 does not hold the same value as a 4th rounder in 2008.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#5 » by W. Unseld » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:43 pm

Former mates have nothing but praise for Kendall
BY TOM ROCK | tom.rock@newsday.com
9:34 PM EDT, August 23, 2007

In the preseason game against the Falcons earlier this month, quarterback Kellen Clemens was about to take a snap when he heard a gruff voice: "It ain't gonna work, get out of it!"

It was guard Pete Kendall, who recognized a glitch in the Jets' plans as they matched up against the defense. He was able to orchestrate a change at the line of scrimmage, and the play wound up a touchdown pass to Sean Ryan.

The Jets will not miss the rants Kendall issued almost daily during training camp. But they will miss the value he provided in times such as that nearly-doomed preseason snap, as well as the knowledge he imparted to his fellow linemen.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Thomas Out 10-12 Weeks; Skins sign veteran 

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:31 pm

The Washington Redskins added a new face to their makeshift offensive line yesterday, bringing in veteran guard Rick DeMulling to bolster the injury-weakened unit.

DeMulling, who signed a one-year contract Wednesday, joined a group that has lost starting right tackle Jon Jansen for the season and starting right guard Randy Thomas for at least 10 to 12 weeks.

DeMulling, 30, is in his seventh season. A seventh-round draft pick from Idaho in 2001, DeMulling started 41 games in three seasons with the Indianapolis Colts before leaving as a free agent to sign with the Detroit Lions.

The Redskins brought in DeMulling and veteran guard Keydrick Vincent on Wednesday for tryouts and physicals. Although some teams had Vincent rated as the best available player at the position, DeMulling was better suited for Washington's zone-blocking schemes, Redskins sources said.

Thomas excelled on pulling plays, and DeMulling (6 feet 4, 310 pounds) could eventually play a similar role because of his athleticism.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02619.html

Sounds like they were able to find somebody decent, which isn't bad on such short notice. The bye week is coming at a perfect time since it'll give him two straight weeks of practice in the offense.

Also, the thought of Randy Thomas getting healthy just before the playoffs gives the dark cloud of his injury a bit of a silver lining. Having his fresh legs pulling could really give our running game a nice boost at a time when a lot of guys are starting to run down a bit.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:13 pm

DeMulling sucks but yeah, hopefully were in playoff contention by the time Randy comes back. Having him fresh pulling for Portis and Betts on sweep plays would be sick.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#8 » by Scabs304 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:18 pm

One more injury on the O-Line before week 10 or so and we could see a major derailment of are season. It's funny we went from the Left side of are Line being are weakness to it being are right. I would of felt alot better of Kendall had got hurt than Thomas but there is a good chance he will be back so cross your fingers and hope the patch-work line can at least create holes because at least with Cambell's mobility we can get away with a few leaks in pass protection.
I am Scabs.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:42 pm

I disagree, our left side has never been our weakness. Samuels makes sure of that. Add in Kendall and we have one of the best left guard/tackle tandem in football. My concern has always been Jansen, but I don't think he's overrated (and at this point, I think Wade is better than Jansen) and Thomas is one of the best guards in football. We have an awesome offensive line when everyone is healthy.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:08 am

This is how I see it:

Wade > Jansen. Big Jon was a great player for us but Todd Wade is a very good RT. Hes a much better pass blocker and as good as Jansen in run blocking. We just couldn't bench Jansen because hes a leader on this team and one of the corner stones of this franchise for almost a decade.

But damn losing Thomas is just bad. Hes a top 5 guard in this league. I think our running game will suffer without him.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#11 » by Scabs304 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:56 am

It didn't suffer late against Philly and I believe Philly's defense even though it is maligned against the run is better against the run than the piss poor defense the Giants will throw out. We are forunate to have a bye early in the season to get some cohesiveness with the O-Line after all these injuries and shuffling.
I am Scabs.
Scabs304
General Manager

Offensive Line Injuries 

Post#12 » by Scabs304 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Can we work through the rash of injuries?
I am Scabs.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Rafael122 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Losing Rabach will hurt more than a lot of people realize. He's basically the quarterback of the offensive line, so its something to monitor this week against the Cardinals.

Wade, Fabini, and Heyer are serviceable at the right guard and right tackle positions. Hopefully Thomas can return this year.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#14 » by Scabs304 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:20 pm

The right side of the line was horrendous and made some major just mental errors where they didn't pick up there man that was rushing and just matadored him through a few times. We have to be able to run from both sides or we will have alot of games where we just don't close out opponents like we've had in 3 games already this year which lead to two losses and what could of easily been a loss today.
I am Scabs.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:01 am

Jason Fabini is alright. He doesn't screw plays up.

Mike Pucillo and Todd Wade on the other hand are god awful. That third down play where Campbell got sacked was all on Wade. He doesn't have a DT lined up on his shoulder and the only guy is Calvin Pace with the ouside technine. He still went unblocked!

It also doesn't help when you have dweebs calling the plays. The lack of shotgun with a battered offensive line pissed me off. The amount of runs was hiddeous too. We can't run block. Please **** pass more out of Shotgun 4 wide sets.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:10 am

Actually we can run block, its just that they are running on the wrong side.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by W. Unseld » Thu Nov 8, 2007 9:48 pm

Has anyone been keeping track of the Skins O-line performance all year? The guy at postgameheroes.com does a good job on grading guys on a game by game basis.

I'm curious b/c everyone seems to be saying that O-line is one of our biggest off season needs but assuming Thomas comes back from injury okay I don't think that's the case, whether Jansen comes back or not. I would say we need a G/C hybrid from free agency or the draft and that would be it. Kendall is 34 which is getting up there even for O-lineman and Fabini is 33 but outside of the current starting guards everyone is 31 or younger which gives at least another 2-3 years at the O-line position (save Jansen whose body seems to be breaking down w/injuries).
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Rafael122 » Thu Nov 8, 2007 10:33 pm

When healthy, we have one of the top 5 offensive lines in football, bar none.

That being said, I agree, its time to start drafting some offensive linemen and develop them because these guys have maybe 3-4 more years in them, maybe less for Jansen. Heyer seems like he's going to be a solid player, but there needs to be more.

Look at the free agent class for starters. Unless he signed an extension, Max Starks of the Steelers is 25 years of age, can play right tackle or left tackle. He's 6'7'' 340 pounds. Sign this guy.

Here's a list of the free agents on the offensive line: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features ... =OL&y=2008

I'd try to sign a tackle, and a guard, preferably those in their mid-20s like a Max Starks.

Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen
Bench: Heyer, Starks, and Wade, and an offensive guard

2008: draft an offensive linemen in the 2nd round.

Build, build.

Edit: It also depends what pick we get in the first round. If its mid-teens to early 20s, these are a couple of o-linemen to look at:

Ryan Clady - 6'6'' OT of Boise State
Alex Boone - 6'7'' OT of Ohio State
Sam Baker - 6'5'' OT of USC
Gosder Cherilius - 6'6'' OT of Boston College

I'm looking at the draft prospects over on ESPN, and the guards and centers are getting low grades (highest was a 77 out of a possible 100). Tackle seems to be the best bet to make a move, again, depending on where we pick in the first round. Personally, I'd go with a wide receiver like a Limus Sweed in the first, then an offensive linemen in the 2nd, defensive back in the 3rd, offensive linemen in the 5th, defensive back in the 6th.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by W. Unseld » Fri Nov 9, 2007 3:28 pm

Rafael, I would have to go defensive end in one of the first two rounds. Phillip Daniels is living on a prayer and we really don't have anyone to back him up.

On the O-line front I think we need a back up g/c more than an OT, but I see your point on the draft grades.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#20 » by Scabs304 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:11 pm

I think we have more pressing needs than OL, but we have to make are late OL picks good ones cause all the depth finding OL picks we've made recently have been cuts a year or two later. I don't think a first day is pick is needed to bolster the line depth, but I believe we need to go heavy OL second day.
I am Scabs.

Return to Washington Football Team