[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official Thread - Skins vs Patriots

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Official Thread - Skins vs Patriots 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Not much to say here. The Pats will essentially just be going through their practice drills, only with the Skins out there instead of the regular tackling dummies. And even if the defense plays the game of their lives, with an offense that struggles to score double figures we don't stand a chance.

Maybe it'll start close but with all the 3-and-outs our offense is likely to put up, the Pats will eventually wear our defense down and score like 4 TDs in the second half.

Patriots 42
Skins 14

Fortunately we'll still be over .500 so we'll still be in good shape in the NFC.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#2 » by Scabs304 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:31 am

I'm seriosly probally going to put 50 on the money line of this game. There is a good chance with the way are team is constructed we could put up a good fight in this game. Sorry, but they did allow Miami to put up 28 points last week and are offense is at least twice as good as theres.
I am Scabs.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#3 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:16 am

Were going to get creamed. I'm sick and tired of Joe Gibbs conservative crap. Same **** every week. We can't hold onto leads because we feel its necessary to dink and dunk when were winning.

No killer instinct and scared coaching. Gibbs is wasting a Super Bowl defense. If he wasn't Joe Gibbs, he should have been fired by now in favor of Gregg Williams. All our four wins are on GW and our monstrous defensive unit.

Gibbs has done an absolute **** job on coming up with the offensive game plans. Why can he not give 100% control to Al Saunders. I hate watching our team play because the play calling is vanilla as hell.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:10 pm

I think the experts are in for a surprise in this game, as I agree with Scabs...I think the Redskins can hang with the Patriots. Here's why: ball control.

The Patriots defense isn't very good (please correct me someone, if necessary, too lazy to look at their rankings) and there are some rumblings around the league that the reason why the Pats are running up the score is to mask the fact that their defense isn't very good right now. They don't have Richard Seymour so running up the middle shouldn't be a problem, especially if we have Rabach back.

But ball control is key here. We can control the clock and keep the Patriots off the field.

Secondly, I think we have the secondary to match up with Moss, Welker, and Stallworth. That should be a really good matchup, and plus, our run defense is pretty good.

I think the 'Skins will lose, but they won't get blown out, and it wouldn't shock me if they won.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:43 pm

Quick stat:

The Patriots offense is #1 in yards per play
The Redskins defense is #1 in yards allowed per play

We really need Marcus Washington for this game. Having him come from the edge with Carter will really help the secondary.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#6 » by jmrosenth » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Where'd u get that stat? Just wondering. footballoutsiders has us as the best defense in the league right now, FWIW.

I think the Skins have a chance in this game for the following reasons.

1. The Patriots D is poor against the run. While our running game ain't no great shakes, we have some horses to get it done. If the Redskins can run the ball effectively, they take him off the clock and keep the Patriots aerial display off the field. With the way our O-Line is banged up, who knows, but being able to run will open up the passing game as well.

2. We have a good secondary that can make plays. I wouldn't say our three corners are very good man on man guys, but as as unit, the secondary plays well. This is a very good, extremely physical defense. I expect Taylor and Landry to put on some serious licks early to try and intimidate the Patriots WR's. Taylor has INTs in 4 straight games, btw.

What worries me is our poor pass rush. Gregg Williams will have to send some blitzers...we just cannot allow Brady to stand in the pocket all day. Our front four won't get to him. The defense will certainly give up yards, but I'm hoping for a bend don't break type of effort. Give Gostowski all the FG attempts he can handle.

3. I wouldn't expect the Patriots to overlook us, but the showdown with Indy is looming next weekend. Could play into our favor.

Overall, I just want to see the 'Skins compete and not get embarrassed out there. Try to keep it close and go for the win the 4th quarter. And I want to see Gibbs grab the friggin clipboard and start calling the plays. Bring some fire back to this team.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Patriots are 17 point favorites.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:16 pm

jmrosenth wrote:Where'd u get that stat? Just wondering. footballoutsiders has us as the best defense in the league right now, FWIW.

I got it from one of the stat pages on NFL.com. We give up the least yards per play of any defensive team in the league while the Patriots gain the most yards per play of any offensive team.

jmrosenth wrote:What worries me is our poor pass rush. Gregg Williams will have to send some blitzers...we just cannot allow Brady to stand in the pocket all day. Our front four won't get to him.

Problem is that Brady has a 150 QB rating against blitzes. Our best bet is to go with a 4 man rush and drop 7 in coverage then pray for the best.

We need to control the clock and create turnovers. The latter will be tough but we do have a lot of playmakers in the secondary so who knows.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:16 pm

Another couple of notes: Washington is the only team Brady hasn't beaten. The last time we faced the Patriots was during the Spurrier era. Patriots are also 0-35 all time against the Redskins.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:38 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Problem is that Brady has a 150 QB rating against blitzes. Our best bet is to go with a 4 man rush and drop 7 in coverage then pray for the best.

Well, that's what has seemed to work so far for Gregg Williams and Co. And I agree it's our best chance to at least slow down the Pats. I disagree, however, that our running game will have an impact. The line is too weak and none of the backs have been able to get anything going.

I still pick the Pats to win big.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#11 » by Scabs304 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:22 am

The Redskins are laying 12-1 odds or a money line of 1200 against the pats. Had to put 50 on it.
I am Scabs.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#12 » by greenbeans » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Another couple of notes: Washington is the only team Brady hasn't beaten. The last time we faced the Patriots was during the Spurrier era. Patriots are also 0-35 all time against the Redskins.

and its most likely going to be 19+ by gametime. . .

im thinkin Seymour will get a few snaps the way Maroney did last week, so dont expect much seymour, but a healthy dose of the running game to try and get maroneys legs back under him. well see, im excited
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Rafael122 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:52 pm

greenbeans wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

and its most likely going to be 19+ by gametime. . .

im thinkin Seymour will get a few snaps the way Maroney did last week, so dont expect much seymour, but a healthy dose of the running game to try and get maroneys legs back under him. well see, im excited

Either you don't watch the Redskins at all, or you're a huge homer. Could be both. 'Skins have one of the best defenses in the league. If you're just breaking in running backs (especially Maroney who hasn't played in weeks), I don't expect a lot of rushing yards for the Patriots.

Should be a great game, this is literally a Skins defense vs. Pats offense game.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#14 » by W. Unseld » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:58 pm

God I wish we had Randy Thomas back. I would give us a shot if I legitamately thought we could run the ball w/any consistent success.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#15 » by greenbeans » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:09 pm

ya, i dont expect the pats to actually gain that much running the ball. i just see them gettin maroney a ton of reps. hes been VERY unimpressive so far this season and there gonna see what they have in him this week imo.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:35 am

W. Unseld wrote:God I wish we had Randy Thomas back. I would give us a shot if I legitamately thought we could run the ball w/any consistent success.

Thomas says he's about 7 weeks away. If we're still in the playoff hunt by then, we could use him.

Thomas and Jansen are both out, obviously for the game. Cartwright is doubtful. Marcus Washington is playing, so we'll basically have our entire defensive unit out there.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:35 pm

Marcus Washington is our 2nd best pass rusher. Having him healthy along with the entire defensive lineup is huge.
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#18 » by tkunit » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:20 pm

wearing my skins hate in shame all week
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:25 pm

Well this team reflects the head coach. Scared and unwilling to take risk.

I'd also like to nominate Todd Wade for the worst offensive tackle of all time. Please put Stephon Heyer in already. Wade stinks.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by LyricalRico » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:39 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:Well this team reflects the head coach. Scared and unwilling to take risk.

Basically. I couldn't understand why they were doing play action in the 4th quarter, down by 40+, only to throw a dump off pass to the same back they faked it too. And what's up with not even putting the ball in the end zone on the last play before halftime?

In don't care what he did in the 80's. Gibbs = washed up.

Return to Washington Football Team