[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Sign Mike Turner

Moderator: LyricalRico

likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Sign Mike Turner 

Post#1 » by likwitdesi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:29 am

Please get a back in there who actually fits this system. Portis clearly can't handle the load anymore and Betts does not cut it. Get rid of both these guys and get me a grinder like Turner and lightning like a Steve Slaton or even Marcus Mason.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#2 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:57 am

Portis has completely lost all the burst he had. He was also good at breaking tackles which he can't anymore. I still like Ladell Betts. Hes not the talent Portis is (or was), but he still has a lot left in him and when the line is blocking, he is beastly. His burst is amazing and he has good hands.

Portis can be cut next offseason without a huge cap hit and we will save roughly around 9 million which can be used to re-sign Sean Taylor and Rocky McIntosh.

My plan would be to try to trade away CP, if not cut him. Keep Ladell Betts and draft Jonothan Stewart from Oregan or Steve Slaton from WVU. Both are incredible talents. Here is how I want the team to treat this coming offseason:

Free Agency: get a big WR who can catch like Bryant Johnson, a defensive end for depth and an offensive guard for depth or a starter so we can move Kendall to the backup spot.

Draft: Go CB in the first round, draft a RB in the second round and a DE in the third. After that add depth to the offensive line in the next rounds.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:57 am

They have enough money to re-sign Taylor and Rocky anyway, without having to cut Portis.

And Rocky's contract isn't up until 2 years from now. There's no rush.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#4 » by likwitdesi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:03 am

1. Re-sign Taylor (make him highest paid safety in NFL), McIntosh (the better he becomes, the more expensive he gets), and Montgomery (while he is cheap).

2. Trade both Portis and Betts. I don't see the same one you see. I see Betts as backup material, at best. Turner is easily better than both of them. Now, this man runs with a ton of burst. He has no wear and tear and would be worth a 4-year deal, which most backs seem to be getting.

3. Draft DEs, a penetrating DT, a shifty RB, guards, tackles, and gamble on a couple corners (small school steals) late in the draft (Rogers must have torn all 3 ligaments and Springs is old).

Guys I like include: Slaton, Jon Stewart, Kendall Langford, Chris Long (take him if we fall back that far), Limas Sweed, Lawrence Jackson, Dre Moore, Andrew Crummey (gonna slip because of injury but solid)

4. Sign Bryant Johnson or Kevin Walter or draft Limas Sweed if he is available.

5. Think about trading Samuels for a 1st because he is at the age when LTs start to decline (ie Pace, Jones, and Ogden) (does he really have a no-trade clause though?)
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#5 » by likwitdesi » Thu Nov 1, 2007 3:50 am

Jonathan Stewart is awesome. Steven Jackson Part 2. It would suck to have to use a first round pick on him, rather than a DL though.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#6 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Nov 2, 2007 12:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:They have enough money to re-sign Taylor and Rocky anyway, without having to cut Portis.

And Rocky's contract isn't up until 2 years from now. There's no rush.

That is correct but if we let him test FA, or wait till the last minute, we're screwed. Rocky will demand top LB money. He has shown Pro Bowl potential in only 7 starts.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Fri Nov 2, 2007 3:46 pm

We could always franchise him. I'd wait another year to see how he produces before giving him a big contract. I'd definitely try and extend Taylor this offseason though.

Speaking of cap, we're about $1.2 million under the $109 million cap. We'd be about $8 million or so under the proposed $116 million cap for next year. Obviously that could increase or decrease depending on how many bonuses get converted to guaranteed money.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#8 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Nov 6, 2007 4:38 am

cut portis?
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#9 » by likwitdesi » Tue Nov 6, 2007 9:18 pm

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:cut portis?

ok donkey. that type of game against the last ranked run defense is not impressive

Return to Washington Football Team