[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Skins v. Jets

Moderator: LyricalRico

W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Skins v. Jets 

Post#1 » by W. Unseld » Thu Nov 1, 2007 7:37 pm

Where: The Meadowlands

When: 1:00 pm on Sunday

What to look for:

1. Will the Jets QB change give them a new spark of life?

2. Will L. Coles play?

3. How will the Skins respond on the road after last Sunday's debacle?

4. How will S. Moss respond?

5. How will Jason Campbell respond to his worst game as a pro and rampant criticism?

6. Will the Skins find a running game?

Prediction: Skins 17, Jets 13 in an ugly one.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Thu Nov 1, 2007 11:36 pm

If we don't win this one, this season is over. Our record needs to be 6-4 or 7-3 in the last 10 games, starting with the Patriot game.

Skins say they are going back to basics, and are looking to running the ball more. We'll see how that goes. There is no doubt in my mind we are a top 6 team in the NFC.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#3 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Nov 2, 2007 12:34 pm

Lets see how the Gibbs meating with 10 leaders of this team and the "players only" meeting went. Not only has the playcalling sucked, the execution by everyone on the offense has been terrible too (besides Randle El).

The Jets are horrible defensively but the offense has potential with Clemens throwing to Coles and Cotchery. I wont be surprised if we lost.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Sat Nov 3, 2007 1:14 am

Supposedly a return to "Joe Gibbs" football but I'll believe it when I see it.

Probably another loss.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by W. Unseld » Sat Nov 3, 2007 3:42 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Supposedly a return to "Joe Gibbs" football but I'll believe it when I see it.

Probably another loss.

I wouldn't mind a return to Joe Gibbs football IF:
1. We had an O-line that could pull it off

2. We ever gave Al Saunders football a real chance

I think the closest we can get to Joe Gibbs football is running non-flashy Ladell Betts who follows his blockers (also Betts pretty much can't run Saunders stretch plays so it would have to go up the middle)

I'm not hating on Portis I just don't think he's all the way back and I don't think our run style matches well w/his. The Broncos probably wouldn't take him back but perhaps the Texans w/Portis' ex-offensive coordinator would give us something decent for him.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Sun Nov 4, 2007 4:04 pm

Coles is out for today's game, and Kellen Clemens is the starting QB for the Jets which worries me because he can throw the deep ball unlike Pennington.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by W. Unseld » Sun Nov 4, 2007 9:34 pm

Wow, the Skins really no how to take the joy out of winning a game. So much for my "can't run w/this line" theory but they were playing the Jets and I have to tip my hat to whoever came up with putting an extra lineman in.

They went to the WR's briefly today but I think that was the same drive that Campbell had the INT so we probably won't be seeing that again for a while. They legitamately seem more worried about getting a turnover than losing. (See last weeks hand offs while down 38-0 in the 4th).

Klemmons looks good and they got him for a second round pick last year w/o paying the Kings ransom that the Skins did for Campbell.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by W. Unseld » Sun Nov 4, 2007 9:35 pm

Since that was an awfully snarky post for a win, let me add: Good job Portis, smart coaching for the extra lineman and way to keep your heads early when the Jets ran the first play back for a touchdown.
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#9 » by Scabs304 » Sun Nov 4, 2007 9:43 pm

Wow I hate close games, but it was real nice to see Portis get it going today. Now if we can play all 4 quarters for one game.
I am Scabs.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#10 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Nov 4, 2007 9:55 pm

The problem with young QB's like Clemens is that you have no tape on them to see what they prefer and what there tendencies are.

Clemens killed us more with his legs than he did with his arms. Dude was looking like Michael Vick out there. If we had more tape on him, he wouldn't have gotten those ridiculous scrambles.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by W. Unseld » Sun Nov 4, 2007 10:55 pm

As Brian Mitchell pointed out the Jets have already given Clemens far more responsibility than the Skins have given Campbell. I'm going to steal a page from Wizards fans everywhere and blame the coach.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 5, 2007 1:19 am

Even if JC is turned loose, there is no guarantee his receivers will catch the passes, or no guarantee that JC will throw it accurately. Offense is going to have to rely on the running game, and hope that JC can muster at least 200 yards passing per game.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by W. Unseld » Mon Nov 5, 2007 1:39 am

Rafael, I guess there is never a guarantee that the WR's will catch the ball, but it would actually help the running game if they tried harder to get the passing attack going. JC isn't pinpoint accurate but what I have observed from him is he is good for one or two stray passes a game but most of the rest of his balls are catchable if not perfect ie a little behind or a little in front of the WR but seemingly catchable.

Might as well find out what you've got w/him, barring a myriad of injuries to other teams the Skins aren't winning the Superbowl. I'm not saying throw away the season, in fact opening it up a little bit could help the season. I do wonder if the Skins WR's are getting separation I think I will ask the guy @ postgameheroes.com to check that out.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 5, 2007 1:41 am

I saw the whole game, and hopefully you or someone else can help me out but the only bad throws I saw JC throw all game were the deep ball that was overthrown to Moss late in the game, and another pass that went behind Moss when the 'Skins were in the red-zone. He's a 2nd year QB, so his accuracy will improve with time. That being said, yeah, open it up and see what he can do, but don't give him the keys yet. Our strength is and will always be the running game.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by W. Unseld » Mon Nov 5, 2007 4:35 am

Rafael, I don't disagree w/you on Campbell, particularly this game. I thought you were saying that they shouldn't throw more b/c i)the Skins WR's can't catch and ii)Campbell can't throw. I think Campbell is good for a couple of bad throws a game (2-3) which is a totally acceptable risk for opening up the offense.

Return to Washington Football Team