[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Redskins vs. Eagles

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Redskins vs. Eagles 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Tue Nov 6, 2007 12:44 am

VERSUS

Where: Formerly Raljon, MD

When: 1pm, Sunday Nov 11th

- Can the Skins win two in a row with smashmouth football?
- Are the Eagles completely done?
- Will Andy Reid's "drug emporium" be open for business?

Discuss.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Re: Redskins vs. Eagles 

Post#2 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Nov 6, 2007 1:19 am

LyricalRico wrote: Will Andy Reid's "drug emporium" be open for business?

:rofl2: :bowdown:

Must win. We cant lose another home division game. We're the reason New York is 6-2. We finish that game off and we are in race with Dallas for the division title, not Sheli Manning and Toothless Strahan.

Dallass dug the grave for Philthy, lets bury them. That team is a mess.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Tue Nov 6, 2007 2:47 am

Yes, if we can't beat this team, we don't deserve to go to the playoffs. Just run the football all game.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#4 » by W. Unseld » Tue Nov 6, 2007 3:04 pm

D*mn it Lyrical, I know you do a better job w/the threads and I know it was an ugly win, but it was a win, so I'm supposed to do the thread. I will now be holding my breath until my face turns blue. I hope you can live w/yourself.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by LyricalRico » Wed Nov 7, 2007 1:54 am

W. Unseld wrote:D*mn it Lyrical, I know you do a better job w/the threads and I know it was an ugly win, but it was a win, so I'm supposed to do the thread.

Wow...I wasn't thinking about that at all.

I was thinking that, win or lose, the game thread sometimes doesn't get put up until as late as Friday or Saturday. I was trying to get it up early and put some effort into it for once to try and drum up some posts to keep this place alive.

My bad.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Wed Nov 7, 2007 2:44 am

Lloyd stays in team's plans, Gibbs says

Brandon Lloyd, prohibited from accompanying the Washington Redskins to their game Sunday because he missed a recent meeting, still is in the team's plans, Coach Joe Gibbs said yesterday.

"Brandon and I will talk things over and we'll go back to work," Gibbs said. "It was an incident that took place . . . and I felt that was the best option for us to take. Certainly it was a disappointment for us, and that's the way I tried to treat it. We're going to deal with it and move on."

Link

Redskins reflect at Midpoint

The word "satisfied" came perilously close to rolling off the lips of a few players at Redskins Park yesterday as they contemplated the first half of their season. But they stopped short of saying it. After the jubilation from Sunday's comeback win, Washington's second overtime victory of the season, had worn off and the players had recalled other games that slipped away, the consensus was that they had every right be pleased with their 5-3 record, but not quite content.

One could make a case that the Redskins easily could stand at 7-1 -- they gave up halftime leads to Green Bay and the New York Giants in games they had dominated early. But their record also could be much worse. They required some good fortune to beat winless Miami in overtime in the season opener, survived a potential game-winning kick at the end of regulation against Arizona at home and very nearly lost to the 1-8 Jets on Sunday after falling behind 17-3.

Link

Eagles continue to stand by Reid

It has been nearly nine years since Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie put his nascent NFL reputation on the line and hired a little-known assistant coach from the Green Bay Packers named Andy Reid as his head coach, much to the dismay of the bulk of fans who wanted a more established coach. Months later, Reid used the second overall selection in the NFL draft on Syracuse quarterback Donovan McNabb and drew boos from Eagles followers who wanted the club to choose Texas running back Ricky Williams.

But Lurie trusted Reid and Reid stuck by McNabb, and they have been steadfast in maintaining that circle of support ever since. The Eagles have reached a Super Bowl and have won five of the last six NFC East titles with Reid as their coach and McNabb, at least between injuries, as their quarterback.

Link

Landry's Learning Curve

Assigned to blitz often against the New York Jets on Sunday, Washington Redskins rookie safety LaRon Landry knew he would have some fun. Pursuing quarterbacks is what the NFL newcomer enjoys most, and Landry's ability to apply pressure against Jets rookie quarterback Kellen Clemens was a key component of the Redskins' defensive strategy in a 23-20 overtime victory.

Of course, rookies are prone to mistakes. Landry had a roughing-the-passer penalty on a third-down play in the first quarter, prolonging a drive that led to a field goal and angering Washington's coaching staff, which has emphasized avoiding penalties on third down. And the NFL weighed in, fining Landry for making helmet-to-helmet contact with Clemens on the play.

Link

Griffin Is Looking for More, Especially From Himself

Cornelius Griffin is the anchor of the Washington Redskins' defensive line and, when healthy, is one of the more effective tackles in the NFC. But injuries have derailed each of his last three seasons to some degree, and even a cautious preseason could not prevent another quirky injury this fall.

Griffin suffered back spasms during warmups for Sunday's game against the New York Jets and was able to participate in only two plays -- the first of the game and one goal-line formation. Griffin said hopes to be able to play against Philadelphia on Sunday and expects more of himself in the second half of the season. He is being asked to attack the passer more this season, help collapse the pocket from the interior and prevent quarterbacks from stepping up to elude pressure.

Link
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Thu Nov 8, 2007 4:17 am

Sore Hamstrings Challenge Training Staff

In an effort to cope with an inordinate number of hamstring injuries and improve training, the Washington Redskins recently changed procedures after reviewing their strength-and-conditioning program.

Starting linebacker Marcus Washington has missed three of the last four games because of a lingering hamstring injury. Starting cornerback Fred Smoot sat out three games because of recurring hamstring problems. Starting wide receiver Antwaan Randle El and wide receiver James Thrash, a standout on special teams, have been slowed by sore hamstrings.

Link

Ground Game a Hit in the Short Run

The numbers were so unusual, they seemed to be a misprint in the box score. The Washington Redskins ran 48 times for 296 yards in Sunday's overtime victory against the New York Jets, with 28 carries for 198 yards in the second half -- a perfect example of smash-mouth offense.

If only it were this simple every week.

Link
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#8 » by yungal07 » Thu Nov 8, 2007 9:56 pm

Williams needs to let Landry attack at the LOS again on Sunday. We haven't been aggressive at all this season.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Fri Nov 9, 2007 5:47 am

McIntosh Works to Tackle the Pass

Whenever possible, the New York Jets stationed tight end Chris Baker opposite Washington Redskins linebacker Rocky McIntosh last Sunday. It was a matchup that worked decidedly in New York's favor, as Baker had his best game of the season and made several key plays, while McIntosh, in his first full season as a starter, counted the game as a learning experience.

McIntosh has made great strides after a rookie year last season in which he was banished to special teams duty until late December, even after being Washington's first draft pick and the 35th player chosen overall. But Sunday's game highlighted some expected shortcomings. McIntosh suffered on passes because of Baker's physical tactics, prompting additional practice and film work on his coverage responsibilities this week.

Link

Portis Stars Again In a Costume Party

Running back Clinton Portis went back into character yesterday in an attempt to inspire the Washington Redskins as he did during their late-season run to the playoffs in 2005, wearing a multicolored shirt, oversize glasses and a braided wig and introducing reporters to "Choo-Choo," a dance instructor who is encouraging players to have fun.

In the 2005-06 season, Portis wore a different costume each week to his Thursday group sessions with reporters. The Redskins won their final five games to earn an NFC playoff berth, defeated Tampa Bay in the wild-card round and lost to Seattle in the divisional playoffs.

Link

On the Average, An Average Team

How do you explain or appreciate a team that loses 52-7 one week and wins in overtime by three against a 1-7 foe the next, but is still on the cusp of the playoffs? What sense, in other words, can we make of the Washington Redskins?

Week after week, Joe Gibbs answers that question. But few want to take his words at face value because they are an honest, but not fawning, view of his team's ability. Gibbs constantly repeats that almost every game will be "a close battle" that turns on a couple of plays. If a novice coach said that, we would conclude his team is average. When Gibbs takes that position, he is often viewed as modest or reducing expectations for subtle strategic purposes.

Link
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by W. Unseld » Fri Nov 9, 2007 4:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

[size=18]On the Average, An Average Team

How do you explain or appreciate a team that loses 52-7 one week and wins in overtime by three against a 1-7 foe the next, but is still on the cusp of the playoffs? What sense, in other words, can we make of the Washington Redskins?

Week after week, Joe Gibbs answers that question. But few want to take his words at face value because they are an honest, but not fawning, view of his team's ability. Gibbs constantly repeats that almost every game will be "a close battle" that turns on a couple of plays. If a novice coach said that, we would conclude his team is average. When Gibbs takes that position, he is often viewed as modest or reducing expectations for subtle strategic purposes.

Link

Probably the best article I've seen this season on where the Redskins stand, I highly recommend it.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by LyricalRico » Fri Nov 9, 2007 11:24 pm

With Moss and Randle El potentially out, could this be the week Brandon Lloyd actually shows up? Will the Skins coaches even give him a chance?
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#12 » by Scabs304 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:20 pm

Lyrical you got me seriosly worried about the game with you starting this thread. I dont' think it will be an easy win, but if we hold onto the ball and turn them over once we should be able to take the win. Hope the bad mojo Lyrical has put upon us doesn't reach fruition by me counterreacting it by making the trip back to CB, VA to watch the game instead of staying in MOCO through the weekend.
I am Scabs.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Rafael122 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Redskins' Wide Receivers Can't Find the End Zone

After practice at Redskins Park a few weeks ago, a raucous session of locker-room hijinks was well underway when quarterback Jason Campbell joined in. From across the expansive room, Campbell directed playful barbs at wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, teasing his friend for having been tackled short of the goal line four times in the first four games. Seated at his dressing stall far from the action, wide receiver Santana Moss turned the tables on the instigator, jabbing Campbell about deep passes he had overthrown while Moss sprinted uncovered in games.

But the joking has ended. With the schedule half completed, Washington's wide receivers still are without a touchdown reception, making them the NFL's only unit still shut out. In the last four games, the offense has been devoid of the big plays by Moss and Randle El that were among the highlights of the team's strong start, and the situation has stirred frustration from the locker room to Coach Joe Gibbs's office.

Link

Heading Into His 16th Start, Is Campbell Feeling 'It'?

John Riggins was asked if Joe Theismann had "It."

"That thing, whatever you call it -- oh yeah, he had it," Riggins said.

"Jason is still a young guy and he's still a bit timid," John Riggins said of Jason Campbell.

How did you know?

"How did I know? Hell, I'm still taking orders from Theismann," he said. "You get around him for a couple of hours, you still think you're in the middle of the huddle."

Does Jason Campbell have "It"?

"Jason is still a young guy and he's still a bit timid," Riggins said. "Now, is it a personality trait that he's a little meek and mild? I don't know. But at some point, you have to have a little larceny in your heart."

"It" belongs to a player carrying a certain gravitas or heft -- a personality and demeanor that others feel more than they see or hear. "It," basically, is the presence one needs to lead others to victory upon victory in the NFL.

Link

I'm not a huge fan of Mike Wise. I think he's too dramatic in his articles, its either the greatest thing ever or its the biggest test of "X's" career.

Inactives: Randy Thomas, Marcus Washington, Santana Moss are all out. As is Pucillo, Boschetti, Macklin, and Sampson.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#14 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:37 pm

Bad execution. Attrocious play calling. Dumb mistakes. Way to blow another lead in the fourth quarter.

I give up. We will never reach the next level.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#15 » by LyricalRico » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm afraid this one is on me for starting this thread.

:hangs head in shame:

:nonono:
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by W. Unseld » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:09 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I'm afraid this one is on me for starting this thread.

:hangs head in shame:

:nonono:

Your punishment is you have to do the Dallas thread. On a serious note, I'm not exactly expecting the Skins to win the superbowl this year so I said before the game today I want a win but if I can't have that let Jason Campbell show me something--and he did. Maybe more importantly the coaches showed something by letting him throw downfield.

The Eagles were healthy for the first time all season and the Skins were dinged up--no Moss, no M. Washington and during the game they lost Smoot, Thrash and most importantly S. Taylor. After Taylor went out the Eagles offense exploded. I would have liked them to punt on 4th and 13 but I'm not going to complain since I liked the aggressive play calling otherwise.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#17 » by Scabs304 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:49 pm

W. Unseld wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Your punishment is you have to do the Dallas thread. On a serious note, I'm not exactly expecting the Skins to win the superbowl this year so I said before the game today I want a win but if I can't have that let Jason Campbell show me something--and he did. Maybe more importantly the coaches showed something by letting him throw downfield.

The Eagles were healthy for the first time all season and the Skins were dinged up--no Moss, no M. Washington and during the game they lost Smoot, Thrash and most importantly S. Taylor. After Taylor went out the Eagles offense exploded. I would have liked them to punt on 4th and 13 but I'm not going to complain since I liked the aggressive play calling otherwise.
Mr. Unseld you should make the next game thread actually. Maybe you can reverse the curse. Either way that was another game that we should of put away and we did everything we could at points to not. That first touchdown should not have happened and not putting it in with 3 chances is horrible.
I am Scabs.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#18 » by Scabs304 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:49 pm

I mean not putting it in with SIX chances is horrible.
I am Scabs.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by W. Unseld » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 am

Scabs304 wrote:I mean not putting it in with SIX chances is horrible.

I agree but on one of those runs Portis' forward progress was to the 1 and the next thing you know the refs have them lined up at the 3 again. Also on Westbrooks run, Landry got spun around held and no call. If that's a ten yard holding penalty instead of a 1st down it's a different ball game.

Excuses aside, barring extreme injuries to the AFC, I don't see the Skins winning the superbowl this year so I'm rooting for Campbell's development--I always want the win first but it's at least a silver lining.

Return to Washington Football Team