[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official Offseason Thread (was likwitdesi's Offseason Plan)

Moderator: LyricalRico

likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Official Offseason Thread (was likwitdesi's Offseason Plan) 

Post#1 » by likwitdesi » Wed Dec 5, 2007 9:54 am

Goals:

1. Get younger
2. Crap out the bloat
3. Get Tampa 2 personnel
4. Build young cheap depth

Assumptions:

1. Skins get Top 15 pick
2. Skins need to be careful with cap

Coaching:
1. Let Gibbs, Williams, Breaux, Burns, Simmons, and Blatche go. Likely that Bugel and Gray resign as well
2. Hire Mike Singletary as head coach, Ron Rivera (his teammate back with the '85 Bears) as DC.

Released:

Lloyd
Daniels
Washington
Griffin
Fabini
Wade
Prioleau
Pucillo
Brunell

All of these guys are underperformers who have to go as soon as possible. These guys are not living up to their contracts and/or are past their prime. You can release Griffin, Pucillo, Brunell, and Wade as soon as the season is over and you can let the others go after June 1.

Sign:

Eugene Wilson

He will be available at a bargain price due to his recent injury problems. A real gamble, but young and perfect for most schemes at FS. Excellent interior cover guy who can also play nickelback (how the Skins have used Prioleau). Lacks ball skills, though...

Demorrio Williams

Another guy who will be underpriced come FA...has not had a very good season due to torn pec. He is a smart player who is very athletic and is good against the run, the pass, and can rush the passer. Very highly regarded a couple years ago...needs a real defensive coach to get him back into form. Weakness is that he has some problems shedding blocks

Corey Williams

Number one target for the Skins this offseason. Skins need interior pass rush in the worst way and this guy provides heat up the middle. At 310, not smallish either.

Draft:

1. Sedrick Ellis, DT

Ellis is another guy who provides very good interior pressure. Undersized at 6-1 285 but is not a liability versus the run.

2. Tommy Blake, DE

One of the best pass rushers out there in college football. Undervalued as a player because he was rumored to have depression at one point. No one can deny his natural talent.

3. Zack Bowman, CB/S

Very good player whose stock will drop because he was out all of this year. Very physical corner who could probably play FS. Would take Pierson Prioleau's role as the 3rd safety who steps in as a nickel at times. In the future, could be Springs's replacement

5. Andrew Crummey, G/C

Good and smart player fundamentally but a bit undersized. He suffered an injury early on this season and will drop because of it. WalterFootball.com projects him as a 5th, probably because of the injury and because this draft is real deep. He played next to Heyer in college and would step in as a backup G/C.

6. Yemi Babalola, T

A sleeper from Texas A&M who is a pretty decent tackle and has good numbers on him.

7. Demario Pleasant, LB

First-year starter for Oklahoma who is finally out of Clint Ingram's spotlight. He has the tools to be a successful NFL player. Could serve as depth.

Defense:

LDE: Blake/Evans
RDE: Carter/Wilson
RDT: Williams/Golston
LDT: Ellis/Monty
SLB: D. Williams/Campbell
MLB: Fletcher/Blades
WLB: McIntosh/Pleasant
CB1: Springs/Smoot
CB2: Rogers/Torrence
FS: Wilson/Bowman
SS: Landry/Doughty/Fox

I am really liking this defense. For offenses, that will be one scary DLine to go against. Everyone on that line is a pass-rushing threat and that, in turn, will generate more sacks for each of them. Blake is now 270 so he can definitely handle being a strongside DE too.

The LBs are very fast and will get to the ball quickly. With Fletcher as the one old guy there, this unit looks set for the future.

I do have my questions about how Rogers is going to come back from his injury but Bowman serves as a hedge. Torrence has also looked good too.

The O-Line:

Starters: Jansen, Thomas, Rabach, Kendall, Samuesl
Backups: Heyer, Alexander, Crummey, Babalola

This is the way it is supposed to be on the OL. Your starters are solid and all your backups are guys who could become the starters in the future. No between-the-road guys like Fabini and Wade who don't have a future here. Heyer already looks like Jansen's future replacement at RT and Crummey could step in for Kendall in the future. Although I'm not sure if he will dominate, I can guarantee you Crummey will be an NFL starter. Lorenzo Alexander screams NFL guard to me--tough, does not give up, and is the strongest Redskin. Move him full-time there.

Coaches:

Singletary is a very smart guy who coaches with a lot of passion. In Saunders and Rivera, he will have the support needed to take this team to the next level. Saunders will finally get complete control of the offense and Rivera will implement that Tampa 2 he ran so well in Chicago. This team would probably be a middle-of-the-road team in 2009 but after adding on to this talent pool in 2010, this team will start a nice series of playoff runs
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#2 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Dec 5, 2007 3:09 pm

I like the way you're going. The reason we need to keep the Tampa 2 is because it doesn't require elite cornerbacks. Our coernback situation right now is very bad due to age and injuries but we can minimize it by sticking with the Tampa 2.

I do agree that we need to let go off Griffin, Washington, Fabini, Wade and the other scrubs or good players who are always injured.

We need to revamp the defensive line, get good depth on the offensive line, possibly draft a cover safety and a tall possesion WR.
likwitdesi
Starter

Re: likwitdesi's Offseason Plan 

Post#3 » by likwitdesi » Wed Dec 5, 2007 6:14 pm

Yup, plus the Tampa 2 is really in right now with Tampa, Chicago, and Indy all being top defenses and Buffalo being decent with few personnel outside of the DL.

In regard to receivers, I think we are fine with what we have. I was with you on drafting one before, but Caldwell and McCardell look like fine depth to me, especially for one more year. Both guys are possession receivers who don't drop balls
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:04 am

I'm an advocate of trading down, and I honestly think this is what the Redskins should do. They don't have *needs* per se, but they have depth issues, and with like 6 picks...that's not going to cut it. Trade down in the first round, and pick up a couple of more picks later in the draft. I think offensive line/defensive line has some serious depth issues, and with the passing of Taylor, there's a safety issue as well. It's gonna be interesting what this team does in the offseason.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:16 am

I've liked Reed Doughty. Hes an excellent tackler and he doesn't make mistakes in coverage. Not overly athletic but hes a very smart player. We've been spoiled by great safeties but really, not many teams even have a player like LaRon.

Stephon Heyer has also played very well.

Its clear that our biggest needs are DE, WR, CB and OG. Mostly just depth along both lines.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Rafael122 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:22 am

Yeah, but with 6 picks (I think they only have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks), this team is gonna need more picks than that. Trading their first round pick, which at this point looks to be in the late-teens, means they could pick up an extra 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder, and probably a later round pick like a 6th round pick. Or they could be conventional and trade their '08 1st rounder for an '09 1st rounder and picks in '08. They need to be creative. Obviously signing a guy like Jared Allen would help our d-line, but we don't have a backup.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#7 » by likwitdesi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:24 am

Rafael122 wrote:Yeah, but with 6 picks (I think they only have their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks), this team is gonna need more picks than that. Trading their first round pick, which at this point looks to be in the late-teens, means they could pick up an extra 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder, and probably a later round pick like a 6th round pick. Or they could be conventional and trade their '08 1st rounder for an '09 1st rounder and picks in '08. They need to be creative. Obviously signing a guy like Jared Allen would help our d-line, but we don't have a backup.

It really depends on who is there Raf. If Gholston or Ellis is gone by then, then by all means trade out of the first round and pick up a couple 2nd's. However, it is clear this team needs another elite DL and Gholston and Ellis are guys who will make instant impacts.

Since this plan, I do agree that Doughty should start next year. He looks very good and is a sure tackler. However, there will be situations where we need LaRon at SS and someone else at FS. So yeah, cross Eugene Wilson off of that FA's to get list.

A guy who I am really becoming bullish on is Heath Benedict from Newberry. From what I've read, he has the makings of a Pro Bowl guard at the next level. He should be the second round choice. Alexander and Benedict would form an excellent interior tandem in the future. It is very possible both Kendall and Thomas will not be here come 2009.

It already looks like we have 3/5ths of that OL set for the future with Alexander, Heyer, and Rabach.

In regard to Griff and Washington, I really am mixed on what to do. When healthy, both of these guys are very good. However, that is the problem. The only SLB I like in this draft is Shawn Crable and he will surely be a 2nd rounder. If he is still there in the 3rd, go ahead and take him. I am not so high on Demorrio anymore. The guy did struggle when asked to play strongside in Atlanta. In regard to Griff, I just can't help but think how good a Williams/Monty/Griff/Golston combo would be.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:02 pm

My personal preference is a pass rushing DE like Tommy Blake or Quentin Groves to play next to Carter. Andre is proving to be an awesome pick up and having another pass rusher next to him is all that better.

Offensive guards can be found in the 2nd or 3rd round or even later. We have one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL so no worries.

WR, I'd like to see us take a shot at Marcus Monk or Limas Sweed. Excellent blockers, big and can go over the middle.

But you have to think we will address some positions in free agency. I could see us letting Shawn Springs leave and signing a guy like the weird named guy from the Raiders or Marcus Trufant from the Seahawks... Justin Smith is another guy whos a very good player but his numbers have gone down dew to pathetic talent on the Bengals defense.

I could see us picking up Bryant Johnson too or maybe Alan Faneca even though signing him has no long time reward.

This team isn't all that for away from being a solid contendor.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:14 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7592192?MSNHPHMA

Top 20 free agents according to Jay Glazer.

Really interesting list, I would definitely go after Marcus Trufant, and move Springs to safety.

Defensive line - Jared Allen or Suggs, or Haynesworth.

Corner - the CB from the Raiders whose name escapes me. Trufant as mentioned earlier.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:48 pm

My target list is:

Raiders weird named CB
Trufant
Allen
Suggs
Haynesworth

These are the guys we need to target. Its extremely hard to find elite corners and this years market has three. I wonder how many of them have Drew Rosenhaus as there agents. His guys are always on our target.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#11 » by likwitdesi » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:34 am

Blake? Yes. Groves? Hell no. Do you really want a guy who weighs 245 playing the run on the strong side?

I honestly feel that this team should keep Springs. The guy is very very underrated and he is still a top 10 corner. He is so good because he is such a great technician.

No big name FAs are really needed. I would go after Oakland's Tommy Kelly. Pro Bowl potential but miscoached in Oakland. Decent against the run if paired with a big guy like a Golston or Montgomery. I know I recommended Corey Williams but some team is going to really overpay him.

After seeing this team the last three games, I still feel Brunell, Daniels, Wade, and Lloyd must go. However, I would not mind seeing Griff or Washington get cut if cap space is needed. D. Williams remains a good cheaper option.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#12 » by likwitdesi » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:38 am

So basically the major changes to the original offseason plan are:

1. Keep Gibbs but no extension
2. Look at Tommy Kelly instead of Corey Williams
3. With this team being outside of the range to select Sedrick Ellis, trade that first down to the second round and pick up a few more picks (to get depth) and try to get either Langford, Balmer, Moore, or Fluellen there.
4. Definitely get Heath Benedict from Newberry. I have really researched this guy and he should definitely be our pick in the 2nd round. Screams Pro Bowl guard to me.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Rafael122 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:34 pm

likwitdesi wrote:So basically the major changes to the original offseason plan are:

1. Keep Gibbs but no extension
2. Look at Tommy Kelly instead of Corey Williams
3. With this team being outside of the range to select Sedrick Ellis, trade that first down to the second round and pick up a few more picks (to get depth) and try to get either Langford, Balmer, Moore, or Fluellen there.
4. Definitely get Heath Benedict from Newberry. I have really researched this guy and he should definitely be our pick in the 2nd round. Screams Pro Bowl guard to me.

OK, I officially name you the draft guru for the Redskins. I only study the bigger names, and then I look over the mock drafts and try to draw a consensus from that.

I always recommend trading down to acquire more picks, especially if a player drops significantly, such as Quinn.

I still think we could cover some holes in free agency. Pluck a defensive end like a Jared Allen or Suggs (who could probably play linebacker as well); pluck a corner (the Raiders guy or even Trufant, then you move Springs over to free safety); grab a wide receiver like Bryant Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, a tall receiver preferably, and then you can do whatever you want with your first round pick. Go o-line if necessary.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#14 » by likwitdesi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:25 pm

Rafael122 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

OK, I officially name you the draft guru for the Redskins. I only study the bigger names, and then I look over the mock drafts and try to draw a consensus from that.

I always recommend trading down to acquire more picks, especially if a player drops significantly, such as Quinn.

I still think we could cover some holes in free agency. Pluck a defensive end like a Jared Allen or Suggs (who could probably play linebacker as well); pluck a corner (the Raiders guy or even Trufant, then you move Springs over to free safety); grab a wide receiver like Bryant Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, a tall receiver preferably, and then you can do whatever you want with your first round pick. Go o-line if necessary.

Dude, you don't wanna do any of that FA stuff. Allen, Suggs, Asomugha, and Trufant will all get franchised. Fitz isn't a free agent. Johnson is overrated. We are set at receiver for at least another year with the receiving corps we currently have. I strongly advocate drafting the new starting DE. I am actually starting to like Derrick Harvey a bit more. I've read that over this past season, he has become a complete DE who has been doing well against the run on the strongside. If that is true, he would be an excellent pick in the 1st.

I am generally with you on trading down to get more picks, but this year, if you have a really good DL like Ellis or Harvey drop to you, you take him. In the second round now, with Rocky going down for all of next year, you have to take Shawn Crable if he is there. Once Rocky comes back in 2009, you can move Crable back to his natural strongside position
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Rafael122 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:39 pm

likwitdesi wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Dude, you don't wanna do any of that FA stuff. Allen, Suggs, Asomugha, and Trufant will all get franchised. Fitz isn't a free agent. Johnson is overrated. We are set at receiver for at least another year with the receiving corps we currently have. I strongly advocate drafting the new starting DE. I am actually starting to like Derrick Harvey a bit more. I've read that over this past season, he has become a complete DE who has been doing well against the run on the strongside. If that is true, he would be an excellent pick in the 1st.

I am generally with you on trading down to get more picks, but this year, if you have a really good DL like Ellis or Harvey drop to you, you take him. In the second round now, with Rocky going down for all of next year, you have to take Shawn Crable if he is there. Once Rocky comes back in 2009, you can move Crable back to his natural strongside position

A name that I am hearing a lot (since its getting to that time) is Vernon Gholston out of Ohio State, but he could be out of our reach?
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#16 » by likwitdesi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 pm

Yeah, at this point, Gholston is out of our reach. Every mock is projecting him as a top 10 pick now. We will be picking around 20. Let's hope Groves goes and has an awesome combine and that Calais "Will Be A Bust" Campbell stays in the draft. Hopefully, then, Harvey will fall to us.

I have a real good feeling about Harvey. He produced very well in college. This was a down year for him (6.5 sacks) and that can be attributed to his playing the strongside and getting double-teamed constantly...let him come here, add 10 pounds of muscle between OTAs/minicamps and training camps. I think he has a couple months to do so.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:41 am

Calais Campbell screams Quentin Moses to me. I'd stay away from him.
rl25g
Junior
And1: 30

Post#18 » by rl25g » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:51 am

likwitdesi wrote: LDE: Blake/Evans
RDE: Carter/Wilson
RDT: Williams/Golston
LDT: Ellis/Monty
SLB: D. Williams/Campbell
MLB: Fletcher/Blades
WLB: McIntosh/Pleasant
CB1: Springs/Smoot
CB2: Rogers/Torrence
FS: Wilson/Bowman
SS: Landry/Doughty/Fox

you do realize that Mcintosh and Rogers will likely be out well into next year if not the whole year recovering from injury
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Rafael122 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:51 am

rl25g wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you do realize that Mcintosh and Rogers will likely be out well into next year if not the whole year recovering from injury

Yep, which is exactly why Marcus is staying, and he should stay anyway. I think purging the roster of veterans such as Griffin, and Marcus is a bad mistake anyway. It's always good to maintain some type of consistency with your personnel, especially those who can still contribute.

BTW, a tight end wouldn't hurt. Back-up because I can't imagine going into another season with Todd Yoder as your backup.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#20 » by likwitdesi » Tue Jan 1, 2008 6:27 am

rl25g wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Look when I wrote the post...before McIntosh went down. I am confident Rogers can make it back to play most of the year because the injury happened early enough.

That is why I am really feeeling Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan in the 2nd. The guy is the real deal at SLB and has a ton of athletic ability. At 245, he can play WLB next year and SLB in 2009 once McIntosh comes back.

Return to Washington Football Team