[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Official 2008 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 pm

When: April 26 & 27, 2008

Where: New York, NY

http://www.nfl.com/draft

- Who's going #1?

- Which team(s) will trade down/up?

- Will the Skins take a WR or a DL?

- Is that Mel Kiper's real hair?

Share your opinions on the draft here!
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#2 » by MF23 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:02 pm

The skins would be wise to take Calais Campbell. He's solid.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:32 pm

It really does look like Merling will be the pick, and are hopeful Kelly will drop in the 2nd round.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:01 pm

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiret ... ock_draft/

Solid mock that anticipates trades. He's got the Skins going DL in the first and second.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#5 » by likwitdesi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:45 am

well it looks like we are set at receiver for the next ten years hopefully. davis pick was unnecessary. we need DLs and OLs tomorrow.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#6 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:52 am

I dont really mind the recievers but why the hell pick this Davis schmuck when we have a Pro Bowl tight end?

Whos going to rush the passer? How old is our offensive line?

Stupid as ****
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:01 am

Davis was rated by most to be the best tight end in the draft, and not only can he catch the ball, he can block also. Plus, he gives us a nice red zone target.

I imagine you wanted James Thrash as your number three receiver? We have a legit WR corps with Moss, Randle-El, Thomas, Kelly and Thrash to round it out. Compared to what it was before, we improved big time.

Tomorrow should strictly be about shoring up some depth issues in the secondary and on the offensive and defensive line. I think we can solve that very quickly in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

I give them an A for Day 1. A lot of people are not gonna like it, but this is a west coast offense, this is about giving Campbell as many big targets as possible.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#8 » by W. Unseld » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:17 am

I'll give them a B minus. The TE seems like a can't miss prospect and as Rafael said you use 2 TE sets in this offense (unfortunately you also use 1 and none TE sets) but I'm not sold on going double WR on day one. Particularly since I don't trust Danny not to try and go out and get a big name WR before it's all said and done.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#9 » by likwitdesi » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:30 am

I like this strategy. I've looked at the OL and DL prospects and CB prospects for Day 2. There are plenty of good guards that will be available including McGlynn, Young, Radovich, etc. At DT, you have Pressley, Fluellen, Moore, and Harrison still available. At DE, you have guys who can become huge stars in Johnston and Blake.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by W. Unseld » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:34 am

The first page on this link will give you about 7 different takes (from media sources) on the Skins draft, only PFW seems to really be down on it, everyone else seems either neutral or positive:
http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/show ... 534&page=1
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:31 am

The tight end is not a can't miss prospect. Hes your average pass catching tight end that comes out every year. The WR's are fine but the TE is totally stupid and unneccesary and should have been a DE. How many teams in the NFL have two tight ends that catch passes? Totally wasted pick.

Could've had Calais Campbell out of the U or Groves from Auburn. Both would have given more production and value than this TE.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by LyricalRico » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:30 pm

I'm also baffled by the TE pick. I could see if you took a blocking TE in the later rounds but a pass catcher in the second when you just gave Cooley a new deal? I understand that the guy is supposed to be good but with more glaring needs elsewhere (and the fact that the WC offense doesn't heavily use double TE sets) I think it was a poor choice.

The receivers were great picks and we're set there. Now we need to just get as many linemen and DBs as we can so that hopefully we can find a couple steals.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by W. Unseld » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:07 pm

I was initially floored by the TE pick but all of the talking heads for both networks seemed to say that i)Zorn wants to use 2 te sets and ii)this guy was the best TE in the draft. If those two things aren't true then yep, I agree it's butchered.

I like the OG pick in the 3rd round, not sure about the TN trade yet. It's been YEARS since the D-line has been adequately addressed in the first half of a Skins draft.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Yeah, Washington traded the 103rd pick for the 124th (4th round) and 157th (5th round) pick.

They probably want to take a QB in the 5th round, or they could hold off on that until the 6th round (Andre Woodson?). Hopefully DT is an area they address here. Dre Moore I hear a lot about, could be one of those low risk/high reward type of players.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#15 » by LyricalRico » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:12 pm

A 5'9 CB? :nonono:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:01 pm

I'll give it time, he can also return kicks. Quick scouting report is that he can tackle, hits hard, and he's very fast, plus he can pick off passes which already makes him better than hands of stone Rogers.

Colt Brennan was picked in the 6th round. Will probably spend his rookie year on IR.

We also got the top rated punter in the draft. Say bye bye to Derrick Frost!
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:03 am

LyricalRico wrote:A 5'9 CB? :nonono:

A certain hall of fame corner from this franchise had the same size.

The former junior college transfer instantly became ASU's top cover cornerback, starting all 26 games during his two seasons with the Sun Devils. He proved to be an effective run support defender who simply loved the challenge of taking on receivers much bigger than him. In 2007, his main pass coverage assignments featured four receivers who stood at least 6-feet-4 and five who were 220 pounds or more.

The 5-9 cornerback allowed the opposition to complete just 31.13 percent of the passes thrown into his area during his final campaign (33-of-106). Tryon was just as capable of covering the top receiver on deep routes, but also excelled in press coverage, rerouting his man away from 54 potential catches, in addition to breaking up or intercepting 19 other throws. He allowed a miniscule 3.74 yards per pass attempt vs. him as a senior.

Dude is a baller. Love this pick.

I'm happy with every pick we made in the 2nd day. Especially that punter.
likwitdesi
Starter

Post#18 » by likwitdesi » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:46 am

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Dude is a baller. Love this pick.

I'm happy with every pick we made in the 2nd day. Especially that punter.

Is this the first thing you and I have ever agreed on?

I love Tryon. The guy has infinite confidence in himself and a lot of evaluators think he will stick. Besides the height, he has all the physical tools to become a starting CB down the road.

I also loved the Reinhart pick as well. The guy will be our starter in 09 at LG. Kinda funny losing Dockery gave us the comp pick necessary to replace him.

Durant Brooks was a great pickup as well. Frost just is not very good and Brooks gives us a punter for the next ten years hopefully.

I also heard we signed OG Kerry Brown from App St. I like this guy too and wanted us to draft him. I think he will stick, at least on the PS.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:20 am

Brown was projected to be a mid-round pick and was ranked behind Rinehart so I think he has a good chance at making the team to be honest. There's no one else.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#20 » by MF23 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:06 pm

The Skins had a good draft. It was confusing that the Skins picked up Thomas and Kelly. One of them makes sense but both just throws you off a little. Anyway, Kelly is my favorite pick. Everything I've seen of him tells me the Skins got a legit starting WR. He and JC will become friends and have good chemistry on the field. Fred Davis can play in the NFL so it's not a bad pick. The punter is a monster. I've seen that guy kick the ball 60+ yards. It's not a good thing when both of your starting lines average in the 30+ and there isn't a group of young 20's backing them up. I hope it doesn't bite them in the butt.
Et tu Bilas.
MD

Return to Washington Football Team