[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Hail To The Redskins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Hail To The Redskins 

Post#1361 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:If we had taken care of business the last few weeks, we'd be at 8-5 right now. But we're 4-9 and our coach will most likely not be here next year. That's the way the business works I guess.

I still think we should keep JC for another year. Keep the system, change the coaching staff.

Thing is - any new coach they hire that's worth anything is going to want to bring in his guys to be the assistants - and the offense will change. Then, if we re-sign JC, we're going to hear all the same excuses, and we're going to keep on losing. Unfortunately, I don't see a viable option. So we're fudged - and have to accept that next year is a "rebuilding" year. JC is probably the best FA QB available, so we're going to have to pay really big to keep him, because there's a big premium for veteran QBs. Actually, if there's an uncapped year, JC is only a restricted FA, so maybe that will keep his price down a little bit. Maybe we get big draft choice compensation if he goes elsewhere - I'm not sure of the rules.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#1362 » by verbal8 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 pm

MF23 wrote:Keep Gano, kid has a good leg and history.

I liked seeing the kicks for touchbacks.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1363 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 pm

verbal8 wrote:
MF23 wrote:Keep Gano, kid has a good leg and history.

I liked seeing the kicks for touchbacks.

I liked the kicks to the corner of the 1 yard line - where the Raiders started inside their own 15. Kid's got a leg, made 2 40+ yard FG's, has played in big-time college competition, there's a lot to like - even if they did handle the Suisham situation poorly.

And how about big Lo Alexander making open field tackles on punt coverage? He's gotta be about 300 lbs - trying to catch guys 100 lbs lighter. I'm not going to block him. :lol: This guy plays DT, OL, and special teams - anything to help the team. He and Sellers are the prototypical non-prototypes.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,069

Post#1364 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:20 am

Ruzious wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:If we had taken care of business the last few weeks, we'd be at 8-5 right now. But we're 4-9 and our coach will most likely not be here next year. That's the way the business works I guess.

I still think we should keep JC for another year. Keep the system, change the coaching staff.

Thing is - any new coach they hire that's worth anything is going to want to bring in his guys to be the assistants - and the offense will change. Then, if we re-sign JC, we're going to hear all the same excuses, and we're going to keep on losing. Unfortunately, I don't see a viable option. So we're fudged - and have to accept that next year is a "rebuilding" year. JC is probably the best FA QB available, so we're going to have to pay really big to keep him, because there's a big premium for veteran QBs. Actually, if there's an uncapped year, JC is only a restricted FA, so maybe that will keep his price down a little bit. Maybe we get big draft choice compensation if he goes elsewhere - I'm not sure of the rules.

How about the Skins win out, going 7-9, and if Zorn gets fired simply name Sherman Lewis or Sherman Smith the head ball coach?

Bring back Jason and all the young talent at receiver. Draft at RB, OL, and late round QB. But for once, start the season with continuity.

Just move Zorn, maybe Portis and Cooley, maybe Landry .... keep it simple.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,806

Post#1365 » by Rafael122 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:15 am

Landry is moving to strong safety where he should have been this entire time. So I'm fine with him staying.

I think you keep Jason, and just take the best offensive linemen available. Samuels isn't coming back.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#1366 » by LyricalRico » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 am

Listen to you guys! These are the exact same guys who stunk it up for the second half of last season and most of this season. Now a few decent performances in losses and a win against a bad team and voila - the pig has lipstick on it! This is EXACTLY what I was afraid of. Every decent game bring us closer to absolutely nothing changing, which is the worst possible thing that could happen.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#1367 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:07 am

Seriously, you are doing exactly what Dan wants you to do. Stick together some average performances and make sure nothing changes. This team needs to clean house.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,069

Post#1368 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 am

The playcalling and players like Davis are new. Jason connecting with all the new receivers is not just a string of nice games. They've had Dallas, Philly, and New Orleans on the ropes since the bye and the playcalling change.

Injuries brought in new running backs and new offensive linemen that have flat been better.

I think cleaning house is NOT the thing to do. This team's 4-9 but has young talent in Orakpo and the new receivers.

I think all they need to do is change the head coach and a few pieces. Jason can go, but I'm not sure another QB can take the pounding and emerge any better.
Bye bye Beal.
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#1369 » by wermolwermol777 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:49 pm

I don't think anyone is actually suggesting that we have the solution on the field already and that simply being in games and scoring a lot is what is enough. It shouldn't be.

But I don't know what exactly caused it, whether it was Sherm Lewis being brought in, whether it was Levi Jones being brought in and the umpteenth different offensive line of the season or if it was the fact that Portis went down and suddenly we had runs longer than 1 yard at a time, but ever since the 2nd half of the Atlanta game this team has looked a whole lot different on offense compared to what we saw the tail-end of last year and up to the ATL game this season.

Obviously the next 3 games will tell a lot about whether we can keep this up newfound chemistry up on offense - and playing against 2 division rivals competing for play-off spots should be the best place to find that out.

And I believe what people are saying is that we should build on what we have in place already. We have young receivers who seem to have a nice chemistry with Campbell, we have the defensive beast that is Orakpo and we have some other young guys who could be with the team for years and years to come. And rather than blowing it all up we should add more young talent to the mix through the draft and build a team for the future.

In all honesty I have no idea how to evaluate potential draft picks before the draft - I don't know how college play translates over to the NFL - but if we were to draft a QB It'd have to be someone who is a freaking beast and right up there with the big boys of the league -

Why would we want to waste a draft pick on someone who is going to be as good as campbell. And I do believe that the best days are ahead for JC. If we are going to upgrade the QB position through the draft it'd better be a huge upgrade because otherwise we've simply given up a pick to be where we started from. Or possibly worse off?

Instead we should use the draft to patch up bigger areas of need.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1370 » by verbal8 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:50 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Listen to you guys! These are the exact same guys who stunk it up for the second half of last season and most of this season. Now a few decent performances in losses and a win against a bad team and voila - the pig has lipstick on it! This is EXACTLY what I was afraid of. Every decent game bring us closer to absolutely nothing changing, which is the worst possible thing that could happen.

The defense was good at the beginning of the season and has been okay recently(against mainly good competition). I think on defense only a few tweaks are needed. I think Landry needs to be a SS. I would like to see a vet LB added and Orakpo moved to exclusively to DE. I think Orakpo and Carter is a good combination at the ends. They should draft an understudy for London Fletcher.

I think the terrible play in the beginning of the season by the offense and the recent improvement is a sign that the Redskins need to get rid of the overpriced "talent" and have some young talent to build around. I would like to see them add a young Vet in FA to the O-Line. I also I would like to see a number of Offensive Linemen added in the draft. As entertaining as he is, I think Portis might be done with the Redskins. I would like to see Cooley back, but with Fred Davis emerging, I think he is tradeable.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,806

Post#1371 » by Rafael122 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:16 pm

The team has talent. Like I said, this team would be 8-5 right now instead of 4-9 had they taken care of business like a good team would do. If they blow it up, that means starting over and waiting another couple of years to see what happens. If you draft a QB in the first round, you're investing your entire success around him, and if he busts, you're screwed. Look at Houston with Carr or the Niners with Smith.

That being said, I would not be opposed to getting rid of guys like Portis and Randle-El though. Howeva, I'm against making wholesale changes. I think over the last 6-7 weeks, this team has showed enough to make me say, keep some guys around and build your line.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1372 » by verbal8 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:25 pm

I think the close losses may be a good thing in the long term. If they had won the last 4, I think management may have continued to have the pipe dream that they are 1 or 2 superstars away from being a super bowl contender. Hopefully they will realize that being a play-off team is a more realistic goal and then need for more depth and some youth.
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#1373 » by Cramer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Let me be the person to deliver you guys the great news.

Vinny is gone.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#1374 » by WizStorm » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:02 pm

Cramer wrote:Let me be the person to deliver you guys the great news.

Vinny is gone.
Hell Yeah!!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-resigns/

Resigned, my ass.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#1375 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:14 pm

PARTY TIME
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#1376 » by sashae » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Replaced by Bruce Allen!!! This cannot possibly be better news.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#1377 » by Cramer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:10 pm

Wow, that probably means Gruden as well.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1378 » by fishercob » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Take note, Wiz fans. How much better is it to make a change without the dreaded "interim" period? Wiz should have hired Flip as soon as EJ was fired -- maybe we wouldn't we going through these excruciating growing pains or maybe we'd have known sooner that the pieces don't fit together in this system.

If Ernie gets the gate, I hope it's because Ted and Co. have chosen someone else, not because they've chosen "not Ernie."
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#1379 » by LyricalRico » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:52 pm

Don't forget you can discuss everything Redskins in the official forum:

viewforum.php?f=182

See you there!

:clap:
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#1380 » by Cramer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:52 pm

fishercob wrote:Take note, Wiz fans. How much better is it to make a change without the dreaded "interim" period? Wiz should have hired Flip as soon as EJ was fired -- maybe we wouldn't we going through these excruciating growing pains or maybe we'd have known sooner that the pieces don't fit together in this system.

If Ernie gets the gate, I hope it's because Ted and Co. have chosen someone else, not because they've chosen "not Ernie."

Dude, kneejerk reactions are the fuel that drives this board.

Return to Washington Football Team