[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Hail To The Redskins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Re: Hail To The Redskins 

Post#21 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:27 am

Jacksonville signed him. He's not worth the money.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#22 » by sfam » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:00 am

OK, so...no Dlineman selected on the FIRST DAY of the draft in the last ten years. No first rounders, second rounders or third rounders (I think we drafted one fourth rounder in the late 90s, but it might have been the early 90s). Why have we been trying to get by with mediocre mid-30-something linemen all these years? Truly this is about as dumb a philosophy as I can imagine and flat out caused the issue that forced us giving away a second round pick for Taylor. We did this yet again in the second round...we deserve what we get.

That said, what a sweet recovery! We could have done far worse than this. If Taylor lasts two years and plays close to his previous few years, this will be seen as a terrific move.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#23 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:30 pm

just remember if any Cowgirls fan tries to mock the trade or call Taylor old, remind them that one of their big acquisitions this offseason was signing his FATHER IN LAW...

(and not only was Porter signed for too much, supposedly he hurt his hammy and could be out for a month or more. so much for any breakaway speed he possessed. The guy is 30 already and has never topped 1000 yards in his career. He has only sniffed that mark twice out of 8 year career. The guys we picked have a higher ceiling than that.)
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#24 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:46 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:just remember if any Cowgirls fan tries to mock the trade or call Taylor old, remind them that one of their big acquisitions this offseason was signing his FATHER IN LAW...

(and not only was Porter signed for too much, supposedly he hurt his hammy and could be out for a month or more. so much for any breakaway speed he possessed. The guy is 30 already and has never topped 1000 yards in his career. He has only sniffed that mark twice out of 8 year career. The guys we picked have a higher ceiling than that.)

The Cowboys only signed him for 1 year for relatively cheap ($3 million) and didn't have to give up any picks to get him. I would say the Cowbooys biggest transaction was acquiring Pacman Jones.; fits in with their high quality team image.

But basically the only way to shut Cowboy fans up is by beating them on Sundays
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#25 » by Cramer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:48 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:just remember if any Cowgirls fan tries to mock the trade or call Taylor old, remind them that one of their big acquisitions this offseason was signing his FATHER IN LAW...

As far as I know only one "Cowgirls" fan has posted in here and you can read my comments.

But, and not to get too bogged down in details here, it wasn't his FATHER IN LAW. It was his BROTHER IN LAW, the guy just voted by his peers as the smartest player in the NFL. Simple math would lead one believe that Taylor is either a pedophile, the Cowboys just signed a LB at least well into his 40's, or you haven't had a similar honor bestowed upon you by your peers.

I'll take what's behind door number 3.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Cramer wrote:

As far as I know only one "Cowgirls" fan has posted in here and you can read my comments.

But, and not to get too bogged down in details here, it wasn't his FATHER IN LAW. It was his BROTHER IN LAW, the guy just voted by his peers as the smartest player in the NFL. Simple math would lead one believe that Taylor is either a pedophile, the Cowboys just signed a LB at least well into his 40's, or you haven't had a similar honor bestowed upon you by your peers.

I'll take what's behind door number 3.

touche.

Can't say I kept up with those two (or the good ol' Dolphins) in depth, and I gotta admit I did kind of assume a little bit of door #1, lol. Also found out Taylor and Zach's sister got a divorce, something Thomas was none too happy about. Adds a little bad blood to the rivalry. Me likey.

And about door #3, I'm pretty sure the head count for all of us on that would be nil. So you can count my Skins fancard as a strike against possible intelligence- especially since we haven't won the big one since I was in grade school- but I'll keep my memories of being valedictorian and my diploma cum laude from W&M, thanks.

(not that I value those things too highly, I think the actual diploma is buried in my attic)

PPS the Skins are my appetizer til the Wiz kick off a couple months later, so as a Wiz fan you still cool by me regardless. You may retain your manhood as a Cowboy.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#27 » by spaceman_E » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Eric Allen picked the Skins to finish last in the division after the Taylor trade. He also said the Eagles and Cowboys would duke it out for the top spot.
Didn't the Eagles only add Asante Samuel? I don't remember them getting a real WR or a real LB or a top DE, oh wait, they cut Jevon Kearse.
ESPN hatessss the 'Skins, it's ridiculous.
You don't win friends with salad.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#28 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:58 pm

On the other hand some people on ESPN are giving us a lot of praise like John Clayton...

idc what BSPN says. I think the Skins ceiling for this year is somewhere between 6-10 and 11-5. We could either take off under Zorn with a dynamic offense or have the typical first year head coach struggles.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:02 pm

spaceman_E wrote:Eric Allen picked the Skins to finish last in the division after the Taylor trade. He also said the Eagles and Cowboys would duke it out for the top spot.
Didn't the Eagles only add Asante Samuel? I don't remember them getting a real WR or a real LB or a top DE, oh wait, they cut Jevon Kearse.
ESPN hatessss the 'Skins, it's ridiculous.

The Cowboys have got a TON of talent, and the Giants are the reigning champs so I could see them ranked easily ahead of us even though they haven't done much in the offseason but lose players. But the Eagles outdoing last year to the point that they pass us is unlikely, especially since they rode Westbrook ruthlessly last year and at 29 he may begin wear down (I can only hope, he sure loves to come home to DC and put it to us). But I agree that the NFC East will be beast again this year, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Cramer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote: but I'll keep my memories of being valedictorian and my diploma cum laude from W&M, thanks.

(not that I value those things too highly, I think the actual diploma is buried in my attic)

You damn well SHOULD value those things highly, especially the later. W&M doesnt hand that out like a ham sandwich. I mean that ain't WVU or something.

j/k Gilbert0, relax.....
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Cramer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:57 pm

As for the Eagles, my understanding (and I'd have to look up specifics) is that they really bolstered the defense in the draft. Now how that pans out who knows, but everything I read said very good things.

As long as Reid is there they'll be a force to contend with. Anyone that looks past them is silly, though I would slot them 4th in the division right now.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#32 » by Dat2U » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:03 pm

With all this Redskins talk, what's up with our annual RealGM Fantasy League for '08? Are we doing it this year?

As for the trade, It just feels like a standard Snyder/Cerrato type move to trade a high pick (I don't care what anyone says - 2nd rounders are very valuable) for a 33 yr old. A guy that just a few weeks ago said he planned to retire next season. I probably wouldn't have done it.

Miami got great value considering Taylor's comments about retiring. Unless things go well this season, i.e. playoffs, Taylor may very well decide to hang it up.

Taylor is a very good player and a huge upgrade over an over-the-hill Phillip Daniels but whose to say that Taylor doesn't suddenly lose a step or two?

Just going into the season I don't see us as major player in the race for a Divison title. I get the feeling this is an 8-8 team even with the Taylor acquisition. Trading a 2nd rounder for him is a mistake IMO.
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Cramer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Dat, I understand what you're saying, I said pretty much the same thing as far as the potential downside of the deal, but what options did they have? Fill that spot off of the waiver wire? Their defensive line was shaky anyway with Daniels, once he was gone it was garbage. They wouldn't have sniffed 8-8 in that division.

They roll the dice and make that move or they write the season off, IMO. You think bringing Eddie back didn't go over well with the masses, how would just saying screw it have played because they wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for a guy that was the Defensive Player of the year 2 years ago?

I don't do it often but I have to give the Skins props for going and getting it done and for managing to have the cap room to do it.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#34 » by Dat2U » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 pm

Cramer wrote:Dat, I understand what you're saying, I said pretty much the same thing as far as the potential downside of the deal, but what options did they have? Fill that spot off of the waiver wire? Their defensive line was shaky anyway with Daniels, once he was gone it was garbage. They wouldn't have sniffed 8-8 in that division.

They roll the dice and make that move or they write the season off, IMO. You think bringing Eddie back didn't go over well with the masses, how would just saying screw it have played because they wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for a guy that was the Defensive Player of the year 2 years ago?

I don't do it often but I have to give the Skins props for going and getting it done and for managing to have the cap room to do it.

Good points but part of me says they overpaid. Maybe not as bad as trading a 3rd rounder for T.J. Duckett but still I think Parcells got great value for a guy talking about retiring soon. Maybe I wouldn't have felt as bad about it if it was a 3rd rounder but this team is in the shape its in now because we de-value draft picks in favor of over-the-hill veterans or bad apples like Brandon Lloyd with huge contracts.

I'm not sure how much Taylor's cap hit is going to be this season but couldn't they have used that money to sign a DE and sorely needed depth at the OL & CB positions? Also were talking about replacing Phillip Daniels, who IMO was the weak link on the line anyways. Anything above a waiver wire addition wouldn't have been much of a downgrade. We were prepared to go into the season with Daniels so it seems to me they were writing off the year anyways. With a 1st yr coach I didn't see the high priced acquisitions or big expectations for this year. I thought we were truly trying to rebuild. The Taylor acquisiton just doesn't fit what they had done up to this point during the offseason.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#35 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:14 pm

We had $9 mil in cap space so they could take the hit. Word is they reworked his contract anyway.

Where are the defensive ends out there? If there was someone out there, don't you think they would have gone that route instead of trading 2 draft picks?

I don't see corner being an issue. Rogers is coming back, coupled with Smoot, Springs, Tyron and Torrence, we're pretty set there. And now with the addition of Taylor it puts less pressure on the secondary to make big plays.

Offensive line, eh...we're not gonna find a starter if that's what you're asking. Rhinehart can play both guard positions, Heyer can play both tackle positions, and Todd Wade can play both tackle positions.

We'll be fine.

I'm not sure why you suggested we should rebuild. 95% of the players are on the right side of 30.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:41 pm

We had 10 draft picks this year and 6 next year. We went into this draft with 5 picks and ended up with 10.

Trading a 2nd round pick for a premier player despite how old he is isn't that bad. Bruce Smith had double digit sacks at age 37. Strahan was dominant till his last season too. Jason Taylor is a much better athlete than both.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#37 » by sfam » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:49 am

Dat2U wrote:Good points but part of me says they overpaid. Maybe not as bad as trading a 3rd rounder for T.J. Duckett but still I think Parcells got great value for a guy talking about retiring soon. Maybe I wouldn't have felt as bad about it if it was a 3rd rounder but this team is in the shape its in now because we de-value draft picks in favor of over-the-hill veterans or bad apples like Brandon Lloyd with huge contracts.

I'm not sure how much Taylor's cap hit is going to be this season but couldn't they have used that money to sign a DE and sorely needed depth at the OL & CB positions? Also were talking about replacing Phillip Daniels, who IMO was the weak link on the line anyways. Anything above a waiver wire addition wouldn't have been much of a downgrade. We were prepared to go into the season with Daniels so it seems to me they were writing off the year anyways. With a 1st yr coach I didn't see the high priced acquisitions or big expectations for this year. I thought we were truly trying to rebuild. The Taylor acquisiton just doesn't fit what they had done up to this point during the offseason.

Hmm, I don't think Daniels was all that, but he certainly was middling NFL starter calibur, so he certainly was above a waiver wire selection. Regarding the rebuilding comment, while I certainly agree our coaching hunt was an unmitigated fiasco, we do have most all our starters from last year returning, and we did make the playoffs last year. So I'm pretty sure that a rebuilding year was not the game plan. From this standpoint it absolutely makes sense to bring in Taylor. We flat out needed him if we were to have a chance this year. We still are very weak at the Dline, but at least our starting ends are better than decent now.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#38 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:20 pm

pancakes3 wrote:I'm excited about the Taylor pickup, but I'm not one to say that it's the missing cog to the juggernaut machine known as the 'skins. We lack receivers. Big receivers with soft hands that can reel in Campbell's overthrows easily without stretching out and exposing ribs.

We certainly don't lack for wr potential... Looking at the depth chart, both Anthony Mix and Billy McMullen could end up making the team as that big receiver and Kelly aint small.

I'm wondering how many receivers we'll keep... even if we keep six, we're still going to cut a couple of players with some assets (James Thrash, Mix, McMullen, etc.).
In Rizzo we trust
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#39 » by Dat2U » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:09 pm

sfam wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Hmm, I don't think Daniels was all that, but he certainly was middling NFL starter calibur, so he certainly was above a waiver wire selection. Regarding the rebuilding comment, while I certainly agree our coaching hunt was an unmitigated fiasco, we do have most all our starters from last year returning, and we did make the playoffs last year. So I'm pretty sure that a rebuilding year was not the game plan. From this standpoint it absolutely makes sense to bring in Taylor. We flat out needed him if we were to have a chance this year. We still are very weak at the Dline, but at least our starting ends are better than decent now.

I didn't view Daniels as a middling NFL starting caliber lineman. I thought at this stage of his career, he was more of a stopgap. A guy that shouldn't be starting to begin with, but had to because we had no other options. Daniels starting was solely as a result of Cerrato & Snyder basically ignoring the line the past few years, as opposed to Daniels being an actual difference maker in the lineup.

We made the playoffs but I looked at that late season run as a team that played over its head in more of an inspirational tribute to Sean Taylor rather than some indication of long term success down the road.

My point was however, there was no rush to get Taylor (which you suggested we absolutely needed) until Daniels & his backup went down. It's still seems like there's no real plan in place. Snyder & Cerrato are just so damn reactionary. Within hours they coughed up a 2nd rounder plus to get a guy who may or may not contribute beyond this coming season. It's terribly shortsighted to me. For most of the offseason it appeared that they had taken a course of cautious spending and a tempered outlook with the goal of developing their young skill players and intergrating a new coaching philosophy. Now, with one move, its a "lets go for broke" scenario again.

I'm sorry, this is seems like a movie that's been played out many times before to me.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#40 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 pm

sfam wrote:
Dat2U wrote:We flat out needed him if we were to have a chance this year. We still are very weak at the Dline, but at least our starting ends are better than decent now.

I agree, reluctantly, about the Taylor signing. I do think a 2nd was too high and we'll probably, long-run, end up regretting it.

But, I actually like the sum of our parts on the D line this year now with Taylor. Taylor and Carter give us two speed guys on the ends. Teams won't be able to really load up one side now. Also, because the bulk of our sack production, in theory, will come from the ends, our personel at tackle and linebacker looks better.

That is to say, now, we just need some combination of Griffin, Golston, Montgomery, Alexander to push the pile... which all of them can do. None of them is likely to get to the qb much, none is particularly great on the stunt... so now they can play within themselves a bit more, plug gaps and try for a little push while the ends do what they do.

Also, our linebackers aren't needed as much on the blitz.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Football Team