[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Zorn Officially Out, Shanahan In

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 785

Zorn Officially Out, Shanahan In 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Mon Jan 4, 2010 2:53 pm

Washington Redskins Executive Vice President/General Manager Bruce Allen announced early Monday that Jim Zorn has been dismissed and will not return as the franchise’s coach in 2010. Allen said Zorn was informed of the decision shortly after the team returned from its 23-20 loss to the San Diego Chargers Sunday.

Allen said his three-week game and preparation observations made the decision clear.

“The status quo is not acceptable. I felt it was necessary to not waste a moment of time to begin building this team into a winner,” Allen said.

Allen will hold a press conference in the Redskins Park auditorium at 12:30 p.m. ET.

NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports that former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan remains the top candidate to succeed Zorn, who was the fifth head coach in the 11 years since Daniel Snyder became owner of the Redskins.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/04/redskins-fire-zorn/

We all knew it was coming. Now let's see if it really will be Shanahan.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Re: Zorn Officially Out, Shanahan In 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:56 pm

Well, it's Shanahan. Jay Glazer reports that Shanahan will have "full" control. Here's the video:

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/NFL?vid= ... 3c8b6f8ebc

He also says that the Skins could add a personnel guy, but that Shanahan already thinks he is that guy. Shanahan is better than Danny/Vinny but still not great. I hope they do add somebody who can at least be another voice in the room who really knows what they're doing.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,828

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:01 pm

Actually, his talent evaluation isn't that bad. I believe he did draft Cutler and Ryan Clady who is a pro bowler this year, IIRC. He also developed Cutler into a starting NFL QB. Yeah, he has his busts, such as Maurice Clarett but he does have an eye for talent. My whole thing is, what's Bruce Allen then? What's he going to do?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:06 pm

^ Apparently Allen specializes in contract negotiations and managing the salary cap. He probably also knows how to run a front office operation from a business perspective.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:40 pm

So he's not really a General Manager then? Oh well...at least we have a competent front office structure.

I read on another board that on ESPN 980, it was said that Mike and two of his former coaches were studying game tapes during his time off just so that he can stay on top of things. Also read he might be implementing the 3-4 defense. I think we have the personnel to do it, but that would mean we'd have to move Orakpo to DE or linebacker. He's a beast at the defensive end position.
Mortality Pie
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Mortality Pie » Fri Jan 8, 2010 1:28 am

From Deadspin:

As for the Shanahan hiring, it's easy to rip the Redskins for giving Shanny authority over personnel when he did such a lousy job of it back in Denver. That said, isn't this really the best Washington could possibly hope for? Not only do they get an accomplished coach who knows how to run an organization, but Dan Snyder also had to cede control of the roster to make that happen. Getting Snyder to butt out was all that town ever wanted. If it meant giving control to the dude who drafted Maurice Clarett, I say it was well worth it.

http://deadspin.com/5442133/children-will-crush-your-playoff-dreams--the-wild-card-jamboroo?skyline=true&s=x
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 12:57 pm

Snyder should just stay home and count his money. Let the pros handle the business and just sign the game checks every week. hat's it. There's no need to be a meddling owner. Apparently Snyder also takes pride in "scouting" college talent.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:49 am

Jim Haslett has been hired as Defensive Coordinator. Looks like they will try and bring in the 3-4 defense.

Bob Slowik will also be brought in, possibly as the Defensive Backs coach.

And of course Kyle Shanahan is the Offensive Coordinator.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Lou Spanos, defensive assistant for the past 15 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers has agreed to become Linebackers coach.

Bobby Turner has agreed to become an Associate Head Coach and will work with the running backs.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:11 am

The 3-4, eh? Wasn't Haynesworth already complaining about the system we already had? Not sure I can see him as a nose tackle. I'm also concerned about how the 3-4 would hold up in 6 NFC East games a year.

But the bright side is that this kind of complete shift in philosophy likely means a big roster turnover, which is exactly what this team needs.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#11 » by verbal8 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:37 pm

LyricalRico wrote:The 3-4, eh? Wasn't Haynesworth already complaining about the system we already had? Not sure I can see him as a nose tackle. I'm also concerned about how the 3-4 would hold up in 6 NFC East games a year.

But the bright side is that this kind of complete shift in philosophy likely means a big roster turnover, which is exactly what this team needs.

I think Haynesworth can work in a hybrid 4-3/3-4. I think the Titans used a system like that. I also the Orakpo could do well in a hybrid system. They definitely need to increase the depth of the LBs.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by LyricalRico » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:15 pm

Almost a week into team workouts at Redskins Park, players Friday continued to marvel at the changes in the organization under Coach Mike Shanahan.

"It's just totally different than it used to be," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "Yeah, they've changed a lot of stuff around in the weight room, painted and moved some other stuff, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's really the feeling you get now just being [in the building].

"You just see how professional it is and guys are doing things the right way. Usually in the past, guys wouldn't be focused like this right now. A lot of guys who showed up [for the voluntary offseason conditioning program] wouldn't be here in the past. And even in the weight room, a lot of guys just used to do their own thing. But it's all structured now. There's a plan for everything we're doing."

<snip>

"I like what Coach Shanahan has brought to the organization. It's like nothing I've seen, and I'm happy to be part of it. I'm just going to keep working hard everyday to put myself in position to take advantage of whatever opportunities I get. That's all I can do, but I feel good about what's going on. I'm excited about the season."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redski ... -diff.html

Oh man, it's so great to hear stuff like this.

:clap:
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#13 » by TNBT » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:18 am

I'm a new Redskins fan, so I don't know much about Shanahan or Zorn, but it certainly seems from all reports that we have a much better coaching team in place now. That's great to hear.

Return to Washington Football Team