ImageImageImageImageImage

are we contenders

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,385

Re: are we contenders 

Post#61 » by xinxin » Wed Apr 5, 2023 6:09 am

1 min left in regulation, i thought the game was done... but NO....

anyway, will take the win. hoping they still have enough to beat the clips tomorrow.
kaansunman
Freshman
And1: 54

Post#62 » by kaansunman » Wed Apr 5, 2023 5:14 pm

TheHartBreakKid wrote:
loveshaq786 wrote:I wonder if Lakers can get kess and Lauri for AD

The team turned the season around, and has played great ball as of late, while being fully healthy, and this is a "are we contenders" thread, and you're still trying to trade AD for crap offers?

Dramatic return of the fans =) I think everyone did know that once we make the WB trade we are contenders. People were so emotional and depressed while watching the games back in winter.

Our squad is well balanced and can match anybody any team in the West. It won't be easy of course but we are one of the "toughest" teams in the whole league if stay healthy.

I think these teams: MEM, SAC, LAC, PHX, GSW, LAL all these teams can get eliminated in the first round or reach the finals. Both won't be surprise, hard to guess, hard to bet playoffs are on the way.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 123

Post#63 » by NBAWestFan » Wed Apr 5, 2023 5:16 pm

No

Lebron is getting tired at the end of the game and he is playing me ball instead of team ball

Time to swap him for picks this summer.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,825

Post#64 » by TylersLakers » Wed Apr 5, 2023 10:12 pm

If we can avoid Phoenix in the first round.. I think we are.

Honestly, I don't even think we need to win a Championship for this to be a successful season. If we get to the second round of the playoffs and lose in 6 or 7 games, that's a huge accomplishment I think. This Championship or bust narrative is something I've always hated and sounds more like Rob Pelinka spewing the book of Kobe more than anything. You cannot convince me that Kobe would rather not make the playoffs than lose in the second round. You just can't.

Have a good playoff run this year, improve the team even more so for next year and have another deep run next year. After next year, we can look into AD & LeBron's future and what to do. But let's say after next year we decide to cut bait with one or both. That means the LeBron/AD era ends up with:

- 1 Championship (2020)
- 2 Deep playoff runs (2023, 2024)
- 1 First round exit vs Phoenix (2021)
- 1 Missed playoffs (2022)

That's not a bad 5 year stretch especially considering the ridiculous front office decisions (letting Caruso walk, trading for Westbrook).
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,360

Post#65 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 6, 2023 3:16 am

TylersLakers wrote:If we can avoid Phoenix in the first round.. I think we are.

Honestly, I don't even think we need to win a Championship for this to be a successful season. If we get to the second round of the playoffs and lose in 6 or 7 games, that's a huge accomplishment I think. This Championship or bust narrative is something I've always hated and sounds more like Rob Pelinka spewing the book of Kobe more than anything. You cannot convince me that Kobe would rather not make the playoffs than lose in the second round. You just can't.

Have a good playoff run this year, improve the team even more so for next year and have another deep run next year. After next year, we can look into AD & LeBron's future and what to do. But let's say after next year we decide to cut bait with one or both. That means the LeBron/AD era ends up with:

- 1 Championship (2020)
- 2 Deep playoff runs (2023, 2024)
- 1 First round exit vs Phoenix (2021)
- 1 Missed playoffs (2022)

That's not a bad 5 year stretch especially considering the ridiculous front office decisions (letting Caruso walk, trading for Westbrook).

I don't think Bron would be satisfied with just getting to the second round.

Suns-Lakers would be quite the matchup. Remember, AD and Booker got into it a bit, AD saying if they weren't injured the year the Suns went to the Finals, it would have been a different story.

Honestly surprised by the first half of this Pacers game. LBJ is struggling on the second of a back to back which follows and OT game at Utah. However Clippers are rolling on offense without PG13.

I thought Lakers had been #1 in defense since the big trade or some very high ranking.

If the Lakers don't have a good playoffs run, do they re-sign Russell, Hatchimura?

Or other role players like Troy Brown, Walker, Schroeder?

Or give out a big contract to RFA Reaves?

How much of the roster do they try to retain without the Lakers at least getting to the WCF?

Because there was a report a couple of weeks ago that the Lakers would not be pursuing Kyrie in free agency.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,877

Post#66 » by Beethoven » Thu Apr 6, 2023 3:34 pm

Nope.

Did you hear that lebron and AD???.

I SAID NOPE
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#67 » by Pythagoras » Thu Apr 6, 2023 11:05 pm

If the Lakers hadn’t screwed around with the Jazz and put them away early in order to keep AD, Reaves, and Lebron’s minutes down, then you probably could have played all 4 of those guys plus DLo 40+ minutes against the Clippers. That’s the game right there.

Oh well, looks like the sixth or seventh seed incoming. I just hope the team is healthy for the playoffs. I don’t mind losing, but I’d at least like to go down with our biggest guns if it happens, instead of injuries.
Numbers rule the universe.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#68 » by Pythagoras » Thu Apr 6, 2023 11:26 pm

When DLo, AD, Lebron, and Reaves have been on the floor together, the Lakers have posted a +27.9 Net Rtg (sample size is a little small in fairness).

Just by comparison, most people would consider the Suns the favorites in the West right, and when KD, Paul, Aston, and Booker are on the floor together, they’ve posted a Net Rtg of +22.2.

The Lakers are 14-7 post ASB, which is a 55 win pace for the season. They’re clearly dark horse contenders when healthy, but health is a huge issue for this team.
Numbers rule the universe.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,205

Post#69 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Apr 7, 2023 1:34 pm

Chemistry and camping together is vital. We bonded and spent a camp together with dudes we ain't even got anymore. Yes, I am happy Westbrook is gone. But that amount of time wasted, while the true title contenders have used that time to build that bond, is why I got the Bucks finals
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,975

Post#70 » by Landsberger » Sat Apr 8, 2023 3:29 pm

We just had our leader say "it's pretty cool" to finishing over .500. That speaks volumes as to his mindset unfortunately. Even Shaq, with his less than focused approach, would have never said that. I think Kobe would have just glared at the reporter after that question.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,650

Post#71 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Apr 8, 2023 4:58 pm

TylersLakers wrote: Honestly, I don't even think we need to win a Championship for this to be a successful season. If we get to the second round of the playoffs and lose in 6 or 7 games, that's a huge accomplishment I think. This Championship or bust narrative is something I've always hated and sounds more like Rob Pelinka spewing the book of Kobe more than anything. You cannot convince me that Kobe would rather not make the playoffs than lose in the second round. You just can't.

Well, I dont think the narrative is quite that simple. We traded Westbrook late in the season for a first rounder, and some other things. I believe all told, we traded away 3-2nd rounders, and the 2027 first (top4 protected). But we will be getting some 2nd rounders back. But at the end of the day, if we get to the 2nd round, lose, and then watch DLo walk....then I'd call the season a failure. Woulda been much better to keep the pick, and just suffered through the last 25-ish games with Brick.

But that doesn't mean we have to win a title. Making a run, and resigning DLo (Would prefer a nice S&T myself) and bolstering up the roster would be nice, and I'd consider that a major upgrade over watching Brick leave for nothing. So for me, much will depend on what we do/get for DLo.

As for Kobe...I think if you told him he had a choice between missing playoffs, or losing second round, he'd prob tell you "who cares, the season was a loss either way".

But there are no Kobe's on this team...so it doesnt really matter
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,650

Post#72 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Apr 8, 2023 5:12 pm

Landsberger wrote:We just had our leader say "it's pretty cool" to finishing over .500. That speaks volumes as to his mindset unfortunately. Even Shaq, with his less than focused approach, would have never said that. I think Kobe would have just glared at the reporter after that question.

I get your point...but he's really referring to reaching .500 considering where they were as a team 2-3 months ago. And that I understand. I think the change in the team from Jan to Apr has been impressive. I still think we're a fairly mediocre team, and I have zero faith that AD and/or Lebron will make it through a 20-30 game playoff run without injury. But that said, I think the Lakers have a decent shot with the way they are playing. And that is definitely a pleasant surprise, as far as I'm concerned. Yes...my expectations were in the toilet 3 months ago....so just making an actual playoff series will feel like quite an accomplishment.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers