ImageImageImageImageImage

DeMar DeRozan interested in Lakers

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,784

Re: DeMar DeRozan interested in Lakers 

Post#41 » by Dez » Sun May 19, 2024 1:31 pm

stan francisco wrote:How come nobody has commented on how valuable his defense would be next to AD and Vanderbilt?

DDR can switch to guard 2-4, Vando can switch to guard 1-5, so can AD. Add our 6’6” budding PG JHS and SG Christie who both have the size and foot speed and willingness to guard multiple positions, too.

Defense.

That combined with adding another certified reliable clutch scorer means we have a good shot resting Bron, and hiding his lackluster regular season defense.

Any coach who runs the triangle would love that trio. Spacing won’t be a problem if the coach has a brain. Play inside out. The young guards will have open threes all night long every night if they actually utilize the post up abilities of DDR and AD. LBJ knocks down his threes, too.

The MLE? That would be the steal of the century. I doubt he’d do that unless he really misses home.

It's hard to tell if this is satire or not?
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,650

Post#42 » by danfantastk32 » Sun May 19, 2024 2:59 pm

Sorry, but this is a horrible idea. Demar is too good to come for peanuts. That means we will have to S&T and thus give up a pick or two (since we have nothing else). That means we no longer have the picks for a "star".....so Demar becomes that "star" by default. Problem is Demar isn't good enough to be that other piece that takes us to the promised land.

He sits right in the middle, which means it won't work. He'd be a great pickup. But Chi aint taking Rui and DLO.....or any other sort of crap-package you dream up. There will def be other teams interested, so the fantasy land stuff won't cut it.

If the Lakers are going to part with their picks....its gonna have to be for someone a bit better....and alot younger.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,825

Post#43 » by TylersLakers » Sun May 19, 2024 4:01 pm

If he’s willing to take the MLE ($13M), I’d love to have him. If we stay status quo and let Russell walk, the MLE would definitely be available.

If we do the trade for Mitchell that would involve Rui, Reaves, JHS and the draft picks - it would be extremely tough. By using the full MLE, we’d be hard capped at about $179M.

Mitchell, LeBron, AD = $129M
Vincent, Vando, Wood, Reddish, Lewis = $29M

That’s $158 million. The next hurdle is Max Christie. We would need to convince him to sign his qualifying offer of $2.4M. Maybe we wink-wink him a big extension next off season when we have his full bird rights.

DeRozan, Christie = $15.5M

Total: $174M, 10 players. 5M remaining. Enough room for 2 vet minimums and our second round pick - let’s call him Bronny James. With the vet minimums, we sign Prince and Xavier Tillman.

PG: Mitchell/Vincent/James
SG: DeRozan/Prince/Lewis
SF: Vando/Christie/Reddish
PF: LeBron/Tillman/
C: Davis/Wood/

He may not be the perfect fit. Does replacing him with two free agents (Hield + Drummond) make more sense? Probably - but he’s a bonfide playoff guy and guys like Hield and/or Drummond could easily be played off the court.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by danfantastk32 » Sun May 19, 2024 5:23 pm

TylersLakers wrote:If he’s willing to take the MLE ($13M), I’d love to have him. If we stay status quo and let Russell walk, the MLE would definitely be available.

I agree it would be awesome. But 2 factors: This is likely his last contract (at least of any note). He's played himself into a decent contract, and I'm sure he's hoping to find something in 3-year $80 range.

2ndly...the Bulls will def want something back. That means they're gonna be looking for a S&T. So they will offer him something more in the range of what he wants. Will Demar leave a 3-year $70-80mil offer that the bulls have found a trade partner for, so he can take a 3-year $45-50-ish mil contract with LA?

I know Demar would have liked to have come to LA about 3 years ago. But he's either gonna have to make serious sacrifices to make it happen.....OR (and this is the part that freaks me out) the Lakers are going to have to start throwing picks at the Bulls to make this happen (something I think they will do, if Mitchell / Others dont come here).

Personally I hope the Bulls are able to resign him, or move him before we go do something stupid.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,563

Post#45 » by stan francisco » Sun May 19, 2024 7:07 pm

Dez wrote:
stan francisco wrote:How come nobody has commented on how valuable his defense would be next to AD and Vanderbilt?

DDR can switch to guard 2-4, Vando can switch to guard 1-5, so can AD. Add our 6’6” budding PG JHS and SG Christie who both have the size and foot speed and willingness to guard multiple positions, too.

Defense.

That combined with adding another certified reliable clutch scorer means we have a good shot resting Bron, and hiding his lackluster regular season defense.

Any coach who runs the triangle would love that trio. Spacing won’t be a problem if the coach has a brain. Play inside out. The young guards will have open threes all night long every night if they actually utilize the post up abilities of DDR and AD. LBJ knocks down his threes, too.

The MLE? That would be the steal of the century. I doubt he’d do that unless he really misses home.

Yeah. It requires thinking, doesn’t it?

A lack of defensive strategy and discipline, and an unimaginative coach-less offense is why we lost to Denver two years in a row. Our roster was good enough to win it all the last two years.

That’s why Ham is gone. I’d even go so far to say had Vanderbilt been healthy the last two post-seasons, we would have had a shot at going to the finals, even with coach Ham’s nothing-system on both ends.

A ‘next play mentality’ is not a strategy.

So I actually like our current situation. Just add a real coach like Bickerstaff and you don’t want to meet us in the playoffs.

The point? We were already legit contenders two years in a row had our coach only delivered on par with Malone or Finch or Kerr or Pop or Phil. He sucked ass instead.

Defense and poor game management is why Ham had to pack. Defense is why D Lo needs to go, and possibly Reaves. See Murray’s game winners this post season. DDR would’ve tormented Murray on both ends.

AD’s midrange game is great. DDR’s midrange game is great. LBJ is a great cutter and finisher, obviously. Christie hits his corner threes, LBJ shoots over 40% from three, JHS is about to break out. Both MC and JHS will show the league next year how good they actually are because our next coach will give them their deserved minutes.

But hey, you must not be a Lakers fan, or you’d understand defensive championship basketball better.

I miss the brainy triangle offense. Anyone out there who coaches the triangle?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Camby_Bamby
Ballboy
And1: 38

Post#46 » by Camby_Bamby » Sun May 19, 2024 7:13 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Dez wrote:

Defense.

A lack of defensive strategy and discipline, and an unimaginative coach-less offense is why we lost to Denver two years in a row. Our roster was good enough to win it all the last two years.

That’s why Ham is gone. I’d even go so far to say had Vanderbilt been healthy the last two post-seasons, we would have had a shot at going to the finals, even with coach Ham’s nothing-system on both ends.

So I actually like our current situation. Just add a real coach like Bickerstaff and you don’t want to meet us in the playoffs.

The point? We were already legit contenders two years in a row had our coach only delivered on par with Malone or Finch or Kerr or Pop or Phil. He sucked ass instead.

Defense and poor game management is why Ham had to pack. Defense is why D Lo needs to go, and possibly Reaves. See Murray’s game winners this post season. DDR would’ve tormented Murray on both ends.

AD’s midrange game is great. DDR’s midrange game is great. LBJ is a great cutter and finisher, obviously. Christie hits his corner threes, LBJ shoots over 40% from three, JHS is about to break out. Both MC and JHS will show the league next year how good they actually are because our next coach will give them their deserved minutes.

But hey, you must not be a Lakers fan, or you’d understand defensive championship basketball better.

No team will run a triangle offense with Lebron. Just not how he’s wired
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by stan francisco » Sun May 19, 2024 8:26 pm

Camby_Bamby wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
Dez wrote:

That’s one of the reasons I want him to retire. However, a good coach would make him do it. We need a boss with balls.

Becky Hammon or BJ Bickerstaff, please. I know they do not run the triangle but LBJ needs to stop being the coach override dude.
Camby_Bamby
Ballboy
And1: 38

Post#48 » by Camby_Bamby » Sun May 19, 2024 9:07 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Camby_Bamby wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

That’s one of the reasons I want him to retire. However, a good coach would make him do it. We need a boss with balls.

Becky Hammon or BJ Bickerstaff, please. I know they do not run the triangle but LBJ needs to stop being the coach override dude.

Yeah. All true. With that said, Derozan doesn’t unlock Lebron’s best abilities. He’s pretty much a mobilized Shaq who relies on his physical attributes. Derozan is able to operate out of the midpost and has a midrange that commands respect. That leaves Bron somewhere on the perimeter.
Dez
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Dez » Sun May 19, 2024 9:46 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Dez wrote:

Defense.

You clearly don't understand defensive championship basketball if you think DeRozan is going to help on the defensive side of the ball.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by stan francisco » Mon May 20, 2024 5:04 am

Dez wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
Dez wrote:

You clearly don't understand defensive championship basketball if you think DeRozan is going to help on the defensive side of the ball.

Enlightening points, you make. See sig.
Dez
Head Coach

Post#51 » by Dez » Mon May 20, 2024 5:30 am

stan francisco wrote:
Dez wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

Enlightening points, you make. See sig.

What's that got to do with you thinking DeRozan will help the Lakers defensively?

*Edit*

This was on the General board right?
zuju
Senior
And1: 127

Post#52 » by zuju » Mon May 20, 2024 11:48 am

Would you want Larvine over DDR ?
And, if we absorb Larvine, will the Bulls attach other useful players to sweeten the deal?

I mean at this point Larvine's value plummeted due to injury and performance. Seems to be a better fit with Bron and AD and a younger option
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by stan francisco » Mon May 20, 2024 2:05 pm

zuju wrote:Would you want Larvine over DDR ?
And, if we absorb Larvine, will the Bulls attach other useful players to sweeten the deal?

I mean at this point Larvine's value plummeted due to injury and performance. Seems to be a better fit with Bron and AD and a younger option

I’d rather go for many other players before looking at DDR and LaVine.

LaVine VaGine is a $50M glass man.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by danfantastk32 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:23 pm

you also dont just get to "absorb" Lavine's contract. You've gotta send (85% I think) back to them.
loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#55 » by loveshaq007 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:54 pm

vando and Gabe for DeMar straight up
zuju
Senior
And1: 127

Post#56 » by zuju » Mon May 20, 2024 4:48 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:

you also dont just get to "absorb" Lavine's contract. You've gotta send (85% I think) back to them.

Yes, that means you have to s&t Dlo, Rui and maybe gabe/reaves to him alone

I wonder whether it'd be the Lakers or the Bulls who need a pick or two to sweeten the deal according to the valuation of players at the moment
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,252

Post#57 » by Kilroy » Mon May 20, 2024 8:16 pm

Sure, why not? But he won't move the needle much...
And we already have figured out the Nuggets once... You need a big body who can body up Joker and get physical without fouling out, at least until deep in the 4th... That takes the pressure of defending Joker off AD and frees him to focus on rebounding and offense, and forces the rest of Denver to beat us...

We were just too stupid to realize we'd figured it out...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by stan francisco » Tue May 21, 2024 1:50 am

Kilroy wrote:Sure, why not? But he won't move the needle much...
And we already have figured out the Nuggets once... You need a big body who can body up Joker and get physical without fouling out, at least until deep in the 4th... That takes the pressure of defending Joker off AD and frees him to focus on rebounding and offense, and forces the rest of Denver to beat us...

If by “we” you mean Ham, yes.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,349

Post#59 » by SlimShady83 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:52 am

If Bron was gone, yes I'd be all for It ... But no, don't need him at this poing unless on the very, very cheap
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,252

Post#60 » by Kilroy » Wed May 22, 2024 5:27 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Sure, why not? But he won't move the needle much...

If by “we” you mean Ham, yes.

No, I mean everyone from LeBron, to AD to the rest of the FO... We won a Championship against the current champs and immediately got rid of most of our essential rotation players... We were too stupid and arrogant to realize we needed them.

Then we dumped the coach that got us there and hired that stiff, Ham...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers