Plaschke on Mitch

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,774

Plaschke on Mitch 

Post#1 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:10 pm

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke4jan04,1,729304.column?page=1&cset=true&ctrack=1&coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Kupchak manages to control the Lakers
Maligned over many of his decisions, the general manager deserves credit for holding onto Andrew Bynum, drafting Jordan Farmar and bringing back Derek Fisher.
January 4, 2008

The guy from the gas company is in my living room, cleaning out a pipe, handing me a pamphlet, walking out the door after another routine repair.

When, suddenly, he stops.
"So," he says, completely out of nowhere. "What are they saying about Mitch Kupchak now?"

I am not ready to jump in the Mitch bandwagon yet, but there is some good insights in this article, especially in the second page.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#2 » by tkb » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:29 pm

I think Mitch has been underrated for a while. He's done well the last 2-3 years IMO.
Frantik
Sixth Man
And1: 37

Re: Plaschke on Mitch 

Post#3 » by Frantik » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:33 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-plaschke4jan04,1,729304.column?page=1&cset=true&ctrack=1&coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Kupchak manages to control the Lakers
Maligned over many of his decisions, the general manager deserves credit for holding onto Andrew Bynum, drafting Jordan Farmar and bringing back Derek Fisher.
January 4, 2008

The guy from the gas company is in my living room, cleaning out a pipe, handing me a pamphlet, walking out the door after another routine repair.

When, suddenly, he stops.
"So," he says, completely out of nowhere. "What are they saying about Mitch Kupchak now?"

I am not ready to jump in the Mitch bandwagon yet, but there is some good insights in this article, especially in the second page.

When Kobe resigns, then i will hop on the mitch bandwagon but i agree...there are some good insights
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Plaschke on Mitch 

Post#4 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:43 pm

Frantik wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When Kobe resigns, then i will hop on the mitch bandwagon but i agree...there are some good insights
+1 :nod:
Forum permissions
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#5 » by Tommy Trojan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:58 pm

I read this few days ago.

Mitch should get more of a credit then what he is getting. I remember almost everyone was for trading Bynum (including myself) and if we had traded Bynum look where we would have been? Either with no center or a broken down JO.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#6 » by RJM » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:23 pm

Before this season, Kupchak was torched for drafting Jordan Farmar. He was ripped for a lack of scouting acumen, for a lack of common sense, putting Kobe's ball in the hands of a mildly skilled kid.

What? Hey did anyone here torch him?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,591

Post#7 » by hermes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:14 pm

i'll jump on the mitch bandwagon

:jumps on:

yep, there's still lots of room on here 8)
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:19 pm

Iceburg Slim wrote:
Before this season, Kupchak was torched for drafting Jordan Farmar. He was ripped for a lack of scouting acumen, for a lack of common sense, putting Kobe's ball in the hands of a mildly skilled kid.

he was torched, tared and feathered, man-handled, and more, but not for drafting Farmar.
Forum permissions
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#9 » by -G- » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:42 pm

Iceburg Slim wrote:

Ya, I thought everyone was glad he fell to us. Plaschke is just making crap up to prove his point.
Dexmor
Head Coach
And1: 39

Post#10 » by Dexmor » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:28 pm

Everybody hated him and the truth is if they didn't trade Butler he would be one of the best gm's ever. Grabbing Bynum and keeping him no matter what should put him in the hall of fame. That is almost up there with trade Divac for Kobe.
Some teams take the 10th pick and get Rodney White.
LAL4Life
Senior
And1: 3

Post#11 » by LAL4Life » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:29 pm

The problem with crediting Mitch for all the positives over te past few years is our FO has so many different voices, we don't know who has been responsible for what. For example, was trading Caron for Kwame a Mitch move, or a Phil move? Was drafting Bynum, Ronny, Farmar and Crit a Mitch move, or Jim Buss? Was refusing to include Bynum in trades for JO and Kidd Mitch decisions, or Jim/Jerry decisions? And so on and so forth.

That said, Mitch has quietly assembled a very solid team and a great, young foundation, and he's done it while taking plenty of abuse from Kobe all the way down to the average fan.
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#12 » by SashAlex » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:43 pm

News Hub is not popular. :nonono:
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by snaquille oatmeal » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:25 pm

SashAlex wrote:News Hub is not popular. :nonono:
I read the news hub everyday, but occassionally an article is worth dicussing. keep up the good work in the hub.
Forum permissions