ImageImageImageImageImage

Suns have talked to Lakers about Odom ?

Moderators: Danny Darko, Kilroy, TyCobb

CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#61 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:18 am

You ask any knowledgable Insider/Analyst and they will all say Marion>> Odom.
10scott10
Veteran
And1: 40

Post#62 » by 10scott10 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:31 am

I don't do the trade. especially now.

we cant really play marion at PF, because unlike the suns the lakers need to play some man-2-man defense, not just help defense.

well, amare, not thats another story entirely.
Ming Kong! wrote:Greg Oden = Rickrolling a franchise
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#63 » by milesfides » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 am

Odom doesn't own Marion. And secondly, we don't have to worry about the possibility of Odom 'owning' Marion because the Suns primarily run the pick and roll with Nash and Amare. Odom isn't a good pick and roll player because he rolls and cuts to the basket only one way - to his left 99% of the time. He's going to be out on the perimeter waiting for the pass, just like now. The Suns would probably want Odom to relieve Nash of some playmaking duties, to increase the Suns' tempo even more, something the Suns are trying to do. They also get another big body to help out defense.

For us, Marion won't play power forward, he'll play SF. Turiaf and Radman would most likely split minutes at PF, and that would be a good way to get some mileage out of Radman, who as a SF, won't get PT over Walton or Ariza. With Odom gone, that opens up minutes in the frontcourt for both Turiaf and Radman.

And the biggest reason to do this trade is defense. It's a huge upgrade.

A lineup of Bynum - Turiaf - Marion/AK - Kobe - Fish is capable of playing championship-caliber defense every single night.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#64 » by MAMBAEMD » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:21 am

Do it Mitch.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,206

Post#65 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:41 pm

the guys learning curve of the triangle, resembles his learning curve in dribbling to the basket right handed, and shooting with his right hand.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
ock
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#66 » by ock » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:30 am

wow, was there ever a more convincing case supporting marion's superiority over odom as last night's game.

"I have no problem following somebody who's worth being followed. I will follow Kobe anywhere." - Ron Artest
B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#67 » by B-Scott » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:51 pm

As proven again last game, Marion gets his points like Cedric Ceballos back in the 90s with the Lakers. Alleyoops and cheap baskets. Once his defender decides to just focus on him and not leave him,he can't create his shot at all.

On the other end, Marion needs double team help to guard Lamar in the post. I thought it was easy for LO when we decided to post him up on Marion. Lamar doesnt need double team help guarding Marion

Marion had - 20 points 15 rebounds

Lamar had - 19 points, 19 rebounds

Keep in mind a lot of Lamar's points came from himself creating against Marion which is more impressive then Marion getting cheap alleyoops because we had to help out on Amare or Nash creating a shot for him.

A lot of Marion's baskets came from alleyoops and a couple of wide open 3's early in the game. If you just focus and stay on him and dont cheat to help out on Nash and Amare, Marion is not nearly as effective because he cant create his own shot. To be honest,i fear Barbosa, Nash, Amare over Marion.
Tesla
Analyst
And1: 103

Post#68 » by Tesla » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:19 pm

B-Scott wrote:As proven again last game, Marion gets his points like Cedric Ceballos back in the 90s with the Lakers. Alleyoops and cheap baskets. Once his defender decides to just focus on him and not leave him,he can't create his shot at all.

Although I might generally agree with this assessment, last nights game showed the exact opposite. Ceballos was a garbage man, cleaning up the glass and getting put backs. That is exactly what Lamar did last night. Not Marion. Lamar could not make a jump shot or really a created shot outside of perhaps one layup. Marion on the other hand scored by being able to hit jump shots (3pointers). He got some points by put backs -alley-oops (4points), but the rest was jump shots. Marion got more assisted shots, but thats because he shot better from the field and the Lakers passing verus the Suns passing last night was like night and day.

Lamar Odom
10:14 Odom Driving Layup Shot: Made (2 PTS) Assist: Bryant (1 AST)
5:57 Odom Layup Shot: Missed
4:41 Odom Rebound (Off:1 Def:1) 4:40 Odom Layup Shot: Made (4 PTS)
Odom Layup Shot: Missed Block: Skinner (2 BLK)
Odom Rebound (Off:2 Def:2) Odom Layup Shot: Missed
Odom Jump Shot: Missed
Odom 3pt Shot: Missed
Odom Rebound (Off:3 Def:2) Odom Tip Shot: Made (6 PTS)
Odom Rebound (Off:4 Def:3) Odom Layup Shot: Made (8 PTS)
Odom Hook Shot: Missed
Odom Rebound (Off:7 Def:5) Odom Layup Shot: Made (15 PTS)
Odom Layup Shot: Missed
Odom Dunk Shot: Made (17 PTS)Assist: Ariza (2 AST)

Shawn Marion
Marion 3pt Shot: Made (3 PTS) Assist: Nash (1 AST)
Marion 3pt Shot: Made (6 PTS) Assist: Diaw (1 AST)
Marion Layup Shot: Made (8 PTS) Assist: Nash (4 AST)
Marion 3pt Shot: Missed
Marion Jump Bank Shot: Made (12 PTS) Assist: Bell (2 AST)
Marion Jump Shot: Made (14 PTS) Assist: Barbosa (2 AST)
Marion Alley Oop Dunk Shot: Made (16 PTS) Assist: Diaw (3 AST)
Marion 3pt Shot: Missed
Marion Alley Oop Layup shot: Missed
Marion Layup Shot: Made (19 PTS)
Marion Jump Shot: Missed
Marion Hook Shot: Missed
Marion Layup Shot: Missed
Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.
-Nikola Tesla
B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#69 » by B-Scott » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:40 pm

It seems like with Lamar though you can run a play through him and he can create a open shot for you out the post. Even if he doesnt get credit for the assist,the shooter was open because he was double teamed in the post.

When we had Farmar, Sasha, Lamar in the game, the Suns doubled Lamar and he would kick to Farmar who would then swing it to Sasha for the open 3. The play was open because of LO drawing the double team.

I don't see Marion having that ability. He basically gets his points off the Lakers helping out on Amare or Nash and we leave him wide open.
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#70 » by doozyj » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:55 am

Reallly guys, you don't want Marion on our team.

First he has the worst shooting mechanics ever (I really can't stand to watch him shoot.) Lame.

Second, if he thinks he isn't getting the attention because of Nash and Amare what makes anyone think that he would get more attention with the Lakers after Kobe, Bynum, Fish and Farmar.

3rd and 4th, No D and can't create his own shots.

VOTE NO TO MARION! :noway:
shortodom
Veteran
And1: 57

Post#71 » by shortodom » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:19 am

doozyj wrote:Reallly guys, you don't want Marion on our team.

First he has the worst shooting mechanics ever (I really can't stand to watch him shoot.) Lame.

Second, if he thinks he isn't getting the attention because of Nash and Amare what makes anyone think that he would get more attention with the Lakers after Kobe, Bynum, Fish and Farmar.

3rd and 4th, No D and can't create his own shots.

VOTE NO TO MARION! :noway:

who cares how his shot looks going out of his hands, as long as it goes in. No D, he plays good D what are you talking about?
doozyj
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by doozyj » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:13 am

Phoenix is one of the worse defensive team in the NBA, I don't see how you say Marion has good D, he is a major contributor to why they are so? Perhaps his D is good for Phoenix but won't cut it with the Lakers. It is relative.

What we need is someone who can play solid D, can CREATE their own shots and not complain cause other players are getting more spotlight.

If Marion came to L.A. he would have to step up his defensive skills even more so, which would most likely effect his shooting. What are you talking about? :noway:

Regardless, IMHO Marion would not improve our roster.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#73 » by LLcoleJ » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:50 am

doozyj wrote:Phoenix is one of the worse defensive team in the NBA, I don't see how you say Marion has good D, he is a major contributor to why they are so? Perhaps his D is good for Phoenix but won't cut it with the Lakers. It is relative.

What we need is someone who can play solid D, can CREATE their own shots and not complain cause other players are getting more spotlight.

If Marion came to L.A. he would have to step up his defensive skills even more so, which would most likely effect his shooting. What are you talking about? :noway:

Regardless, IMHO Marion would not improve our roster.

well he was a candidate for DPOY last year. He is a great defender and that was from playing out of position.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,476

Post#74 » by Slava » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:01 am

lol you just forgot Marion's best skills, slashing and making runs off the ball man!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
doozyj
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by doozyj » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:49 am

j-far wrote:lol you just forgot Marion's best skills, slashing and making runs off the ball man!

Regardless his "skills" and style of play is subjective and opioninated but adain IMHO I don't believe Marion will improve our roster. Yeah Marion is a hell of a player but I don't see why so many think he is the answer for our team. :noway:
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by milesfides » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:36 am

Marion was a 20-10 guy before Nash.

Marion has all NBA skills. His skills are undeniable and reliable. He's among the very best defenders in the league. He's among the league leaders in steals and rebounding every year. He has a great career shooting percentages. He has a very low turnover rate.

He's a hustle player with all-star stats. That's extremely unique. A true role player who puts up gaudy numbers, by sheer virtue of his talent and effort. How many small forwards put up his kind of numbers, and yet might be the third, fourth option on his team?

Marion is a terrific off-the-ball player. Something that Odom is not. Odom has no future as a primary ballhandler on our team - we've scrapped that since a year ago.

Regardless, Odom is going to be no higher than a 3rd option on our team. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. The emergence of Bynum, the return of Fisher, the change in Kobe's role, all of these factors marginalize Odom's individual talents, except rebounding.

Marion is a better fit in our offense and defense, a better fit next to Bynum and Kobe, and above all. There are no questions regarding Marion's identity or capability. He's a blue chip player. He's inherently a reliable player who executes his role on an all-star level.

Odom's not chopped liver, but Marion would simply be a better Laker.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#77 » by Mamba Venom » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:11 am

Odom + Bynum + Farmar for

Amare + Marion + Barbosa

I would accuatly accpet this deal and play Amare at the 4 and make Kwame work w/ Kareem
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
doozyj
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by doozyj » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:54 am

milesfides wrote:Marion was a 20-10 guy before Nash.

Marion has all NBA skills. His skills are undeniable and reliable. He's among the very best defenders in the league. He's among the league leaders in steals and rebounding every year. He has a great career shooting percentages. He has a very low turnover rate.

He's a hustle player with all-star stats. That's extremely unique. A true role player who puts up gaudy numbers, by sheer virtue of his talent and effort. How many small forwards put up his kind of numbers, and yet might be the third, fourth option on his team?

Marion is a terrific off-the-ball player. Something that Odom is not. Odom has no future as a primary ballhandler on our team - we've scrapped that since a year ago.

Regardless, Odom is going to be no higher than a 3rd option on our team. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. The emergence of Bynum, the return of Fisher, the change in Kobe's role, all of these factors marginalize Odom's individual talents, except rebounding.

Marion is a better fit in our offense and defense, a better fit next to Bynum and Kobe, and above all. There are no questions regarding Marion's identity or capability. He's a blue chip player. He's inherently a reliable player who executes his role on an all-star level.

Odom's not chopped liver, but Marion would simply be a better Laker.

I can appreciate your argument if we are talking about a trade for LO for SM solely. But why on earth then would Phoenix want LO then???

If this deal would go through. Maybe, who knows we've seeing stranger trades in the NBA. I would just hate to see one of our young players go as well ie Javaris or Farmar and explode in their skills (Refer to Caron Butler).

Also do you believe SM would get the "spotlight" he would want with the Lakers after Kobe and Bynum. He will be in the same boat with the Suns with Nash and Amare. We don't need a player with another chip on his shoulder. (Refer to Willam Parker, I know the difference was he sucked, but we need a sense of colaboration of focus to achieve our ultimate goal)

:nod: .
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,476

Post#79 » by Slava » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:58 am

No way the Lakers move Bynum man. Not after watching what he can do. I feel he's a better C prospect than Oden or Amare and you don't trade a franchise player caliber big man for anytrhing.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by milesfides » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:45 am

doozyj wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I can appreciate your argument if we are talking about a trade for LO for SM solely. But why on earth then would Phoenix want LO then???

The Suns sorely lack somebody who could push the ball and keep up the fast pace when Nash sits. Unfortunately, Barbosa is a scorer and Banks hasn't worked out. The Suns' offense comes to a screeching halt when Nash sits, which is why some of Odom's skills might be more appreciated by the Suns.

Also do you believe SM would get the "spotlight" he would want with the Lakers after Kobe and Bynum. He will be in the same boat with the Suns with Nash and Amare. We don't need a player with another chip on his shoulder. (Refer to Willam Parker, I know the difference was he sucked, but we need a sense of colaboration of focus to achieve our ultimate goal)

There were some rumors about that, I think it's mentioned in that one book about the Suns a couple years ago, but I haven't seen any substantial proof that he's starved for the spotlight. In any case, it hasn't affected his game. Marion was upset this summer and did say he'd welcome a trade, but it was reportedly due to the lack of an extension and the constant trade rumors. But again, he's been professional and hasn't let those things affect his game.

Kinda like another guy, who plays for the Lakers.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers