The last time Kobe dunked on anybody was 2 years ago

lmao; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTBM3BUjhE

On Duncan no less.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#22 » by semi-sentient » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:04 pm

Kobe should play more like Wade so that his career can be over before his contract is up.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
Tommy Trojan
Assistant Coach
And1: 36

Post#23 » by Tommy Trojan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:30 pm

j-far wrote:Phil is trying to do his best to keep the starters fresh for the playoffs.

Yeah I have noticed that also. If you look around the league there are teams that play their starters more than 40 min per game on avg.
RUSSDUCK
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#24 » by RUSSDUCK » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:36 pm

This is a ridiculous thread. Clearly Mr. Bryant is conserving his energy for something that matters a little bit more like that playoffs... I don't know if you guys have counted but he has actually been more athletic than he's been in past seasons and I have to attribute that to the fact his minutes are down and he is letting the game come to him.
Joe Kleazy
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#25 » by Joe Kleazy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Kobe is protecting his body. PERIOD. The older he gets the smarter game he will need to play. Wreckless players tend to get injured alot more than smarter players.

Kobe's highlight package of dunking on heads, crossovers, and high scoring games are on file whenever anyone wants to watch them. He dosent have to prove that he is or was capable of doing these things anymore.

Nowadays when you expect him to shoot, it will be that much more of a surprise when he provides the facial ( see dwight howard).

Kobe realizes his years left are limited compared to say a lebron, so to get the best out of those he needs to hold back and let his teammates do the dunking and slashing while he plays a more effective game.

I have no doubt he will step up the intensity in the postseason and he has already said that he is happy to not have to drop 35 in order to win instead having his team to lean on and being there to deliver when crucial posessions arrive.

As hard as it will be to face at some point kobe will decline, but now is nowhere near the time and to be honenst I doubt he will play long enough for it to be criticized like shaq is doing now. KOBE will leave on TOP.
b shaw20
Bench Warmer
And1: 60

KB 

Post#26 » by b shaw20 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Joe Kleazy wrote:Kobe is protecting his body. PERIOD. The older he gets the smarter game he will need to play. Wreckless players tend to get injured alot more than smarter players.

I don't doubt that this could very well be the case. But I don't think him attacking the rim when a basket is really needed would make him a "wreckless" player. I just think that its like having a Lamborghini and driving it at 30 mph to avoid crashing it. You gotta let the baby run now and then....

Joe Kleazy wrote:Nowadays when you expect him to shoot, it will be that much more of a surprise when he provides the facial ( see dwight howard).

I just hate to see him waste his prime years by being too conservative. In a few years he won't have the ability to dunk on people anymore even if he wants to. Wasted years perhaps...

Joe Kleazy wrote:Kobe realizes his years left are limited compared to say a lebron, so to get the best out of those he needs to hold back and let his teammates do the dunking and slashing while he plays a more effective game.

Dude, he is in his prime NOW. There is nothing more devastating to a team than having a guy throw down a dunk over them to put them up by 12 with 2 minutes to go. Kobe is the guy that delivers the final blow to the head, dagger to the chest, whatever you want to call it. A dunk now and then is not less effective than jump shot after jump shot. It only provides him more space to get better looks from the perimeter.

Joe Kleazy wrote:I have no doubt he will step up the intensity in the postseason and he has already said that he is happy to not have to drop 35 in order to win instead having his team to lean on and being there to deliver when crucial posessions arrive.

Even now in the regular season, there are crucial possessions. We need to have a top seed in order to avoid the Spurs or the Mavs in the first round. The path of less resistance is usually the best one to take.

Joe Kleazy wrote:As hard as it will be to face at some point kobe will decline, but now is nowhere near the time and to be honenst I doubt he will play long enough for it to be criticized like shaq is doing now. KOBE will leave on TOP.

If by being on TOP you mean on top of his game, I agree. Unless he wants to continue to collect championships and play limited role on a contender. Personally, I think Shaq will choose to retire very soon and I would not be shocked if it happened at year end. His salary limits the Heat in building a contender and he can use his health as an excuse to leave quietly while there is some memories of his domincance a few years back.

This would have been the Lakers had we re-signed him. Now its Miami's problem.
BrianFellow_17
Junior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by BrianFellow_17 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Kobe has a lot of mileage on his knees, including surgery. Do you see him icing them down during the games? That might have something to do with him not wanting to dunk all over people anymore. He still can, which was shown nicely in that Duncan clip, but he doesn't have to. He has other tools.

Also look at Wade. He slashes and drives all the time, and his body is already beat to hell. It's for the best interests of both Kobe and the Lakers organization as a whole that he protects himself and extends his career by utilizing a less physically demanding style of scoring.
Brian Fellow is not an accredited zoologist, nor does he hold an advanced degree in any of the environmental sciences. He is simply an enthusiastic young man with a sixth grade education and an abiding love for all of God's creatures.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#28 » by Mamba Venom » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:08 am

Avoiding the injury bug

Kobe has been driving a lot.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers