ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Deadline approaching - update Dennis return?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,706

Re: Trade Deadline approaching - who is expendable? 

Post#201 » by Up-And-Coming » Sat Jan 6, 2024 8:07 am

Open to Lavine. Chris Paul should be rested and available off the buy-out market deadline in March as he likely gets traded.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#202 » by DanishLakerFan » Sat Jan 6, 2024 1:28 pm

Not open to Lavine.

#1 Fire Ham, Hire Becky or someone who will put players in position to succeed.
#2 Flip Reaves and Rui to Atlanta for Dejounte Murray and Patty Mills.
#3 Flip Gabe Vincent to Utah for Kelly Olynyk

This does a few things. You get a point of attack defender in Murray which will allow you to keep D'Lo as the PG. In bad matchups in the playoffs, you rely on Murray. You also get a legit 5 who can space the floor and play both next to AD and as a backup.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,836

Post#203 » by TyCobb » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:13 pm

I really like that Vincent for Olynyk trade.

I'd also do D'Angelo Russell for Jonathan Isaac and picks and then use those picks and others to package with Taurean Prince and Maxwell Lewis for Craig Porter Jr., Tristan Thompson, and Damian Jones.

G = Austin Reaves/Craig Porter Jr./Jalen Hood-Schifino
G = Lebron James/Max Christie/Cam Reddish
F = Jonathan Isaac/Jarred Vanderbilt
F = Anthony Davis/Rui Hachimura/Tristan Thompson
C = Kelly Olynyk/Damian Jones/Jaxson Hayes
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#204 » by stan francisco » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:44 pm

Not open to LaVine.

Not at all open to not trading D Lo! I can not accept the plan of having $17M sitting on the bench again in the WCF, should we get that far.

Not open to trading Reaves (our budding Ginobili) who is also on a great contract.

Not open to trading Rui (Horry/Fox)

Olynyk and CP3 can hopefully be had after they get bought out.

D Lo’s expiring plus filler(s) can get us a number of helpful returns, like Murray, who wants out.

Kuminga is disgruntled, etc.

Trade our most superfluous players, make small upgrades. No blockbuster trades needed.

If we do a big shake-up, let it be on the coaching front. Better perimeter defense is what we need the most.

D Lo, Hayes, Reddish, Fudge, Hodge are the ones I think we should use in trade to upgrade. It’s not our core roster that’s bad.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 446

Post#205 » by Doug_12 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 7:29 pm

TyCobb wrote:I really like that Vincent for Olynyk trade.

I'd also do D'Angelo Russell for Jonathan Isaac and picks and then use those picks and others to package with Taurean Prince and Maxwell Lewis for Craig Porter Jr., Tristan Thompson, and Damian Jones.

That'd be some nice retooling. The problem I see with that is half of the league wants Olynyk (or at least he would help almost every team) so I'm not sure if we are getting him for a player who is out with an extended injury.

Apart from that I'd probably just start collecting future assets and prepare for a rebuild as much as it's "politically" possible given Lebron's influence and Jeanie's preference for the present. In that case I'd probably stop at the Russell for Isaac+picks trade and keep the picks with Lewis.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#206 » by stan francisco » Mon Jan 8, 2024 12:31 am

We just signed Dylan Windler, a 6’7” SG/SF to a two-way deal. He had 33 boards and 23 points yesterday, averages 14.3 boards per game and has been known to shoot the three well. Is a mobile hustle guy with a 6’10” wing span.

Insignificant perhaps but I think it means we’re backfilling for trades to happen on the 15th. If you ask me it spells a multi player deal for two or three better players in return. Maybe we’re giving up a group of guards for a big and a small.

I hope we keep Reaves and Rui. I hope it’s not for LaVine.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#207 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon Jan 8, 2024 7:00 am

Rui-Hayes for Buddy
Gabe Vincent for Olynyk
Reaves+JHS+Christie+'29 1st for Dejounte Murray.
Get CP3 once he gets bought out.

Murray - Buddy - Vando - Lebron - AD
(CP3) - Russell -Reddish-Prince-Wood-Olynyk
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,777

Post#208 » by nzahir » Mon Jan 8, 2024 7:14 am

DanishLakerFan wrote:Rui-Hayes for Buddy
Gabe Vincent for Olynyk

Utah isnt taking on a currently injured Vincent for Olynk (who has some value)
That package for DJM is way too much
Who said Cp3 is getting bought out?
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#209 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon Jan 8, 2024 10:43 am

nzahir wrote:
Gabe Vincent for Olynyk

Olynyk is leaving in the summer and they're already way too deep with Collins, Lauri and Kessler.
DJM would be ideal, in my opinion.
I think CP3 is getting moved and bought out.
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#210 » by One Love » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:04 pm

I am NOT a fan of Ham at all & I think a coaching change is HUGE & Handy would do wonders...

In terms of trades, the target should be Brogdon (Por), Hield (Ind) or Bogdonavic (Det)...

Can you imagine having Prince & Brog/Hield/Bogdon in the corners instead Reddish or Vandy...

Our ENTIRE offense is P&R with shooters to space out the floor for AD & LeBron...

We would be 23 & 14 not 18 & 19 if we hit 2-3 more 3's a game... Lakeshow Baby...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#211 » by stan francisco » Tue Jan 9, 2024 5:27 pm

We only need smaller roster changes to fix our current imbalances.

Cam, Vandy, Hayes, D Lo, Hodge, picks. Rob can work his wonders with those pieces.

Some may want a bigger shake-up than that, but I think the bigger shake-up that needs to happen is in the area of coaching; specifically strategy (on both ends), taking timely time-outs, making in-game adjustments, playoff series adjustments, using AD more as a Durant type wing on offense, going big with Woods as a stretch 5, using guards to crash the offensive boards.

LBJ’s beating Father Time forever can’t be our main strategy. At least not for 34 mpg.

I fear that by signing Dylan Windler and Skylar Mayes, we’re trading away Reaves for someone less. If we do, I sure hope the return does not include LaVine (street clothes).

To me, Reaves is our Ginobili for years to come.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,706

Post#212 » by Up-And-Coming » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:44 pm

Would not trade for Buddy but another name to keep an eye on is Gary Trent Jr. GTJ is having a slightly down year and is expiring so his price shouldn't be that high. He's younger, taller, longer, more athletic than Buddy. He's an above average shooter on high volume like Buddy and although he's not a lockdown defender he's at least not a liability on that end and he's a Klutch client and salary fits perfectly with D'Angelo's contract (might have to be shipped to a 3rd team). Would have to incentivize the deal but perhaps a couple seconds/filler would be enough. Reddish has regressed a bit and his poor offense is hurting the team.

Also as mentioned previously we should hope the Warriors trade CP3 which would most likely result in him getting bought-out with the Lakers as one of the favorites to land him (family/kids still live in LA). Chris Paul's timeline has him coming back in 4-6 weeks just around the trade deadline/buy-out deadline which gives him time to not only recover but also rest.

Chris Paul (24mpg)/Reaves/Vincent (when he comes back can slot Reaves back to the 2)
GTJ/Christie
Prince or Vanderbilt
Lebron/Hachimura
AD/Wood

Better shooting, more balanced and we would have the ability to make a bigger splash and trade 3 FRP in the offseason if an opportunity arises.
Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#213 » by Godfather13 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:54 pm

TyCobb wrote:I really like that Vincent for Olynyk trade.

DLo fetching picks from a team has yet to happen in his 4 previous moves.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#214 » by Godfather13 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:42 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

Idk wtf happened since last year, but Reaves wasn't this guy last season. Dude's a detrimental presence on the floor, even with our best players. Just a complete fraud like DLo & Vando now.

Get whatever you can for this guy right tf away and run :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 446

Post#215 » by Doug_12 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:08 pm

Godfather13 wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

Idk wtf happened since last year, but Reaves wasn't this guy last season. Dude's a detrimental presence on the floor, even with our best players. Just a complete fraud like DLo & Vando now.

I'm wondering if that's maybe due to fatigue also? (Apart from the post contract year effect)

I mean the guy played his ass off during the RS to make the starting lineup and earn a good contract. He continued this in a deep playoff run and then left for the World Cup. Then in a month or so he was playing in the preseason.

The dude had basically zero chance to rest.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,632

Post#216 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:00 am

DanishLakerFan wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Gabe Vincent for Olynyk

Olynyk is leaving in the summer and they're already way too deep with Collins, Lauri and Kessler.

Utah has been one of the hottest teams in the league over the last month. Don't think being too deep is a problem for them right now. Also, they are likely wanting to convey the pick they owe to OKC this year in a weak draft, so they aren't likely to dump players to try for a higher pick. If they trade KO at all, it will be because somebody offers something they can't turn down, which isn't the case with Gabe.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#217 » by Godfather13 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:25 am

Doug_12 wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

I'm wondering if that's maybe due to fatigue also? (Apart from the post contract year effect)

I mean the guy played his ass off during the RS to make the starting lineup and earn a good contract. He continued this in a deep playoff run and then left for the World Cup. Then in a month or so he was playing in the preseason.

The dude had basically zero chance to rest.

I'd subscribe to that if it were a short trend leading into the season. But it's 40% of the season, where we've had a couple of 3 day breaks & several games where he was benched for over 25 minutes. He could've taken days off, if that was the case.

Not ruling it out entirely cos we only know what we know from afar. But I have seen his effort levels way down on close outs, box outs, screen navigation, off ball shooter coverage, etc.

He is impacting the team in an astronomically bad way. Whatever it is - it's not good.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,968

Post#218 » by jehosafats » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:21 am

Bleacher Report did a mock draft that would have LAL give up Rui, Gabe, Hayes and 1st rounder for Smart, Kennard, Tillman, and Finney-Smith via the Nets.

I get the value of a Smart and Kennard to improve backcourt defense and 3pt shooting. That doesn't seem like enough to make the playoffs though.

Another scenario I'm seeing involves a potential Reaves for DeJounte Murray trade that would also include Bogdan in exchange for some additional assets. That would be the trade they need.

Then again, whenever Bogdan comes up in trade discussions, my spidey sense tells me it's probably not happening.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,349

Post#219 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:57 am

It's tradition to say this team is garbage every season it seems like.

Basketball purgatory is when you have no vision for the future nor good enough to contend in the now. Couple that with a coach who's trying to relive his glory days through Cam and you've got a recipe for a disaster.

This team deserves all of it.

Buckle up because we're going to suck for a while without any picks to make up for it.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,975

Post#220 » by Landsberger » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:05 pm

Tracymcgoaty wrote:It's tradition to say this team is garbage every season it seems like.

Basketball purgatory is when you have no vision for the future nor good enough to contend in the now. Couple that with a coach who's trying to relive his glory days through Cam and you've got a recipe for a disaster.

This team deserves all of it.

Buckle up because we're going to suck for a while without any picks to make up for it.

Exactly. I'd add that the ownership lives off the team and doesn't know how to make money any other way, so keeping the team middling is far more important than anything else.

Last offseason they could have blown it up and recouped some picks in the process to star over. Instead we will get to watch this franchise run into the ground over the next couple of years. Russell might be the new face of a perennial last place Lakers squad in a couple years.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers