are we contenders

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Re: are we contenders 

Post#41 » by urinesane » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:02 pm

lakerRD wrote:
All your graphics are pretty but the data you show is very misleading.
The Lakers do lead league in FTA per game but the difference between the first and 9th team is minimal (less than 2 FTA per game).

Nice try !

You need better reading comprehension. Not FT ATTEMPTS, these show FT DISPARITY, which means this is how many more FTs they have shot vs their opponents FTs shot (against LAL). Which shows a massive difference in their free throw advantage against the teams they are playing.

It shows that they have shot on average 10 more FTs per game than their opponents since that bad call and 384 more for the season (the next biggest disparity being 184 for the Heat). Take off your homer goggles, bud.

The NBA sells a product and wants it's stars and big market teams to be successful, because it means more $$$$$$$$ for the league.

The most hilarious thing around is Laker fans complaining about getting the short end of the stick when it comes to refs.

Future Laker Fan
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,249

Post#42 » by Kilroy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:08 pm

urinesane wrote:
lakerRD wrote:
The Lakers do lead league in FTA per game but the difference between the first and 9th team is minimal (less than 2 FTA per game).

Nice try !

You need better reading comprehension. Not FT ATTEMPTS, these show FT DISPARITY, which means this is how many more FTs they have shot vs their opponents FTs shot (against LAL). Which shows a massive difference in their free throw advantage against the teams they are playing.

It shows that they have shot on average 10 more FTs per game than their opponents since that bad call and 384 more for the season (the next biggest disparity being 184 for the Heat). Take off your homer goggles, bud.

The NBA sells a product and wants it's stars and big market teams to be successful, because it means more $$$$$$$$ for the league.

The most hilarious thing around is Laker fans complaining about getting the short end of the stick when it comes to refs.

Future Laker Fan

You're the one with a reading comprehension problem... Or maybe it's just an inability to understand basic logic... If you think FTA don't factor into FT Disparity.

On top of that, this is the Lakers Board... We're all Lakers fans here... It's our court. We welcome outsiders as long as they're respectful, but you're core issues here are to convince us DLo sucks, we're not a championship team, and we don't deserve the success we're having because conspiracy...

So it's time for you to piss off now.
Consider this a nudge in the right direction. Anymore trolling comments or memes and you'll get an actual warning.

-Kilroy
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,878

Post#43 » by Beethoven » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:35 am

Lakers 2023 nba champenes
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,862

Post#44 » by MyUniBroDavis » Sat Apr 1, 2023 8:11 am

ShaqAttac wrote:chip or nah

This year there are about 3-4 tier 1 teams and a few other teams that can realistically win it

If we assume bron and AD play at the level they’re playing at we’re in that second tier I think. If you think they have a playoff mode we’re tier 1

We have the best defense in the nba since the new guys came in, even if it’s mildly cap we’re still a top 5 defense I think esp with Lonnie squeezed out, and our offense has been elite with Dlo and Bron both play.

We’re a top 5 team both ends of the floor I think, that’s with our team being fairly rusty too.

Vs the Celtics, don’t think we match up too poorly and Vando would be really big vs them I think, ditto with the 76ers because harden.

Bucks would be tough, memphis feels like a bad matchup, Suns are scary, but we have a shot against any team even if you don’t think super saiyan AD or Bron appear.

If bron and AD both play at a top 5 level I take us vs anyone
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,360

Post#45 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 1, 2023 5:50 pm

AD was swishing the midrange jumpers from the elbow and elsewhere like he was shooting in the Bubble.

In the Bubble he averaged 27.7 and 9.7 rebounds on 57.1/38.3/83.2.

He hasn't been quite as good this season but he's averaging 26.3 and 12.4 RPG on 56.7/26.4/78.6 shooting. Also 8 FTAs per game and 2 blocks per game.

Obviously he's not shooting the 3 that well but playing center more, he's also not taking as much. He averaged 2.3 3PA in the Bubble and 1.4 3PA this season.

If he could average30+ and 12+ rebounds and 2 blocks or altered shots, Lakers would absolutely be a threat. Opponents will probably try to load up on the paint so the Lakers will get some open looks from 3.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,878

Post#46 » by Beethoven » Sat Apr 1, 2023 6:47 pm

Our only true enemy is injury. He's 2-1 against us past few years. If injury is contained this year, no team can stop us. It's only injury.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,761

Post#47 » by ROballer » Sat Apr 1, 2023 7:32 pm

urinesane wrote:
lakerRD wrote:

Nice try !

Future Laker Fan

The hilarious thing is you don't know how basketball works.

Imagine having the best rim attacker in the history of the game(Lebron), one of the few guys in the league who still does his damage in the post(Davis)..and even guys like Reaves who is excellent beating their man and looking for contact

...and bitching about FT disparity when the other teams do nothing but spamming 3's, being scared to attack the paint with Davis/Vando protecting the rim.

Lakers are a paint team first and foremost. Always have been, that's how they won a ring in 2020. You know what happens in the paint?
People get hacked.

Let's stop calling fouls because clueless imbeciles on forums are bitching about FT disparity, while not even watching the games.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,205

Post#48 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Apr 1, 2023 9:17 pm

wco81 wrote:AD was swishing the midrange jumpers from the elbow and elsewhere like he was shooting in the Bubble.

In the Bubble he averaged 27.7 and 9.7 reboud

THATS IT right there! MAX AD. When he's sinking midrange as if he's shooting down looking at the basket, it's almost unstoppable. He also at that time was unafraid and not constantly worried about injury. His game was dialed in and fearless. We currently have the AD who seemingly aleays looking over his shoulder, heck, when guys go down injured fans clap and say awww, I feel for the player. Not so at this current time. Right now we got fans booing saying awww sh** Not again!! That weighs on the psyche, no matter how much money you got in the Bank. We shall see how long he can last, our success rides on this dudes health and game
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
ShaqAttac
Rookie
And1: 342

Post#49 » by ShaqAttac » Mon Apr 3, 2023 6:13 am

ooo we def contenders
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,385

Post#50 » by xinxin » Mon Apr 3, 2023 8:39 am

I like our team now.

but the Bucks are stacked... & those guys know how to win.

Celtics and Sixers look hungry too.

I dont see it yet, how the lakers can beat the Bucks or any of the other east contenders.

perhaps if they run the table for the remaining games & there's legit momentum, I'll change my mind. so we'll see.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#51 » by Kilroy » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:51 pm

Maybe... But we really need to lock up the 5th or 6th spot to avoid playing Memphis or Denver first...
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,335

Post#52 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Apr 4, 2023 7:25 am

Kilroy wrote:Maybe... But we really need to lock up the 5th or 6th spot to avoid playing Memphis or Denver first...

Rather face the Suns First IMO ...

Wanna be the best got to beat the best and while they aren't the favs, Suns the team to beat ATM not scared of Den/Mem

Edit: I really hope everyone can stay healthy through playoffs, not just our team, but every team to see who Is the best :)
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,562

Post#53 » by stan francisco » Tue Apr 4, 2023 4:23 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:Maybe... But we really need to lock up the 5th or 6th spot to avoid playing Memphis or Denver first...

Rather face the Suns First IMO ...

Wanna be the best got to beat the best and while they aren't the favs, Suns the team to beat ATM not scared of Den/Mem

Edit: I really hope everyone can stay healthy through playoffs, not just our team, but every team to see who Is the best :)

You’re saying you want the Clippers to win? :D

J/k. I hope so, too.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by stan francisco » Tue Apr 4, 2023 6:05 pm

If healthy, we can contend with any team.

I hope we don’t have to face Clippers or Celtics, because of matchup problems. Besides those two we can beat anyone in a seven game series.

Besides Davis and James who will both start, our best defenders based on the good ole’ eye test are in the order I see it
Vanderbilt, Troy, Reaves, Hachimura, Schroeder, Gabriel, Lonnie, Christie, Beasley, D Lo.

Best offense in order creates a funny problem; my list would be:
Reaves, D Lo, Hachimura, Lonnie, Troy, Beasley, Schroeder, Christie, Vanderbilt, Gabriel.

I’d try to start:a big guard lineup to facilitate interchangeable defensive pieces:
PG Reaves / SG Troy / SF James / PF Vanderbilt / CTR Davis

2nd unit:
PG Schroeder / SG Russell / SF Lonnie / PF Hachimura / CTR Bamba

#11 and 12, reserves
Gabriel and Beasley
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#55 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 4, 2023 6:08 pm

Phoenix and Memphis are our 2 toughest matchups I think... Memphis, Phoenix, Denver... If the Clippers are healthy, they're in there with Phoenix and Denver, then it's Sac, and GSW... The Clippers play us tougher than anyone if they're healthy... Healthy Phoenix is scary too... But Healthy Memphis, even though we split the season with them, is not going to be easy.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by stan francisco » Tue Apr 4, 2023 6:17 pm

Kilroy wrote:Phoenix and Memphis are our 2 toughest matchups I think... Memphis, Phoenix, Denver... If the Clippers are healthy, they're in there with Phoenix and Denver, then it's Sac, and GSW... The Clippers play us tougher than anyone if they're healthy... Healthy Phoenix is scary too... But Healthy Memphis, even though we split the season with them, is not going to be easy.

No matchup is easy, exactly. There’s going to be lots of seven games series no matter how the regular season ends. The west is stacked and tight as hell, maybe tighter than ever. Well done, commish Silver.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#57 » by MAMBAEMD » Tue Apr 4, 2023 6:34 pm

Kilroy wrote:Phoenix and Memphis are our 2 toughest matchups I think... Memphis, Phoenix, Denver... If the Clippers are healthy, they're in there with Phoenix and Denver, then it's Sac, and GSW... The Clippers play us tougher than anyone if they're healthy... Healthy Phoenix is scary too... But Healthy Memphis, even though we split the season with them, is not going to be easy.

Totally agree.
Our toughest matchups IMO are MEM, PHO, LAC, and DEN.

AD and LBJ have had enough rest this season. LBJ needs to play the next 4 games and get his legs back.
The team needs to gather momentum and chemistry going into the playoffs.
A favorable matchup would be ideal in the first round, and I'd like to avoid MEM, and PHO as much as possible.
Formerly lakerRD
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 479

Post#58 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Wed Apr 5, 2023 12:12 am

If we are gunning for the chip then I say it doesn't matter who we face. Eventually the best one will be the one remaining in the WCF and the Finals. A healthy Lakers can compete with any team.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#59 » by loveshaq786 » Wed Apr 5, 2023 12:58 am

I wonder if Lakers can get kess and Lauri for AD
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,335

Post#60 » by TheHartBreakKid » Wed Apr 5, 2023 1:27 am

loveshaq786 wrote:I wonder if Lakers can get kess and Lauri for AD

The team turned the season around, and has played great ball as of late, while being fully healthy, and this is a "are we contenders" thread, and you're still trying to trade AD for crap offers?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers